• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 17,467

devx101

Senior
ISP
LL/cable/3G then bck to EDGE
Direct-to-home: Internet movies coming soon - Hindustan Times

"India’s third-largest direct-to-home (DTH) operator Tata Sky is in the final stages of negotiations to launch a Netflix-like service in India. US -based Netflix is the world’s leading internet subscription service, which enables members watch unlimited movies and TV shows for a monthly
fee of $8.0 (around Rs 355). Movies and serials are streamed to users over the Net and can be viewed on computer, tablet PC and television."

After reading i didn't quite get whether they are in negotiation with NETFLIX or an ISP......😛

But does Tata sky know about the pathetic broadband situation in the country? streaming 480p movies ehh...:scared:

So does this mean that instead of spending for a Cable/DTH/IPTV connection, one can spend this to watch everything? (Thats obviously ignoring the Internet speed factor though!)

Tata Sky as a dth company can offer internet streaming service? makes no sense.

airtel already has airtel movies powered by bigflix. HT reporter probably is confused.

----------

ah. so you would be required to connect a ethernet port to your set top box. it would be hard for most folks because not everyone has a model placed near their television.

and they would store the downloaded movies on the set top box. how wonderful.

instead of focusing on movie on demand through DTH, they are doing it through internet? that sounds insane. especially looking at the bandwidth prices in india.

Tata Sky as a dth company can offer internet streaming service? makes no sense.

airtel already has airtel movies powered by bigflix. HT reporter probably is confused.

WHY? Ethernet port can be used.

"The Tata Sky+ HD set-top box has already got USB and ethernet ports. Users can connect to the Internet using the ethernet port,” said Vikram Mehra

in the end, the user would be paying for the movie and the bandwidth.

why would he not get the movie through torrents?

this plan is going to be a failure unless Tata Sky collaborates with major ISPs in india to provide free downloads from their servers.

but then this would be against network neutrality.

yey india.

----------

and for the love of god, please do not use wrong titles. tata sky is not bringing netflix to india. god.

So does this mean that instead of spending for a Cable/DTH/IPTV connection, one can spend this to watch everything? (Thats obviously ignoring the Internet speed factor though!)

may be movie and serials as said would fit the bill....but for sports/news u have to turn upto DTH/cable again.

So i think they have to plan something else to reduce the prices. Coz its already 355 pm. And after spending that much, if u still need to pay for viewing sports, then people in upper classes only wud prefer it.At this moment, due to adding Sports HD pack, my monthly bill has shot upto 341 & i am thinking that even thats too much just for "TV viewing"!!

and for the love of god, please do not use wrong titles. Tata Sky is not bringing netflix to india.
actually i was thinking of the same, i later on saw the word 'like' in the article.

netflix has launched outside USA. but they are unlikely to arrive in india for a very long time. india is simply not a big enough market for them to enter right now.

So i think they have to plan something else to reduce the prices. Coz its already 355 pm. And after spending that much, if u still need to pay for viewing sports, then people in upper classes only wud prefer it.

At this moment, due to adding Sports HD pack, my monthly bill has shot upto 341 & i am thinking that even thats too much just for "TV viewing"!!

If launched it will cater to movie buffs who like to watch a lot of hollywood stuff. unfortunately i don't see much demand for bollywood stuff specially at that price point.

By the way u had d2h nah.. shifted to TS?

Nope. I am still on D2h. And that 341 pm i mentioned is on D2h only.

you are missing the point... majority of the movie going audience does not watch english movies. english movies are largely restricted to major metros. and that is why we have dubbed editions. you are not going to believe it but when i went to see delhi belly, a lot of people were disappointed that the show was in hinglish rather than english.

I hope TS really does know about the broadband situation in India and if not ask there tata comm. counterparts. I m really betting on with which ISP they will tie up becausemost don't even have the infra for streaming 480p videos correctly leave alone hd content.

Frankly speaking, even i need subtitles to get their accent!! Dont understand how they manage to be so "unclear".......we have English commentaries too, but theres no need for subtitles in that!!

i actually love how star world and star movies have subtitles for most of their content.

a lot of people hate them of course.

DTH actually has the capability to allow users to turn on/off subtitles (just like how they offer multiple languages today) . i hope we get that someday in the future.

i think there are laws in the US and European markets which makes it mandatory for content providers to offer subtitles on demand for disabled people.

netflix was recently sued for not having subtitles for a lot of their content. the company however is working hard on it.