• Thread starter UnashamdLeecher
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 11
  • Views: Views 3,026
U

UnashamdLeecher

ISP
Tata Sky Broadband
I have recently opted for 50 Mbps Tata Sky Broadband in Pimple Saudagar, Pune. Tata Sky seems to be throttling the torrent speeds. I tested this for the top seeding torrent links. I am hardly getting 600-700 kbps speed. I used to get 10-15 Mbps with local area broadband providers.

It does provide fairly good speed for YouTube and other site browsing. But to be frank, I use most of bandwidth on torrents downloading.

Anyone else facing this issue or is this specific to my area?

R

Rickysin

ISP
Jio fiber
Well it can be throttling but you can test with ubuntu or any other legal software torrents and try.

U

UnashamdLeecher

ISP
Tata Sky Broadband
epXZ69V.png

It's going hardly upto 500 kb/s. For direct download it's going upto 5.5 Mb/s

j9HwYXe.png

But honestly, what's the use of all that speed if I can't torrent?
Feel like I should have opted for Airtel broadband.

Last edited:
U

UnashamdLeecher

ISP
Tata Sky Broadband
@Code9988, I haven't seen such improvement in speed after 5-10 mins. Highest speed I have seen is 700 kb/s, even after an hour or so.

Unfortunately, my society has not approved Airtel Xstream Broadband and as a tenant my hands are tied. I have no other option but to use Tata Sky Broadband.

Hope the performance improves in future, otherwise I'll be pushing for Airtel in our society meetings.

Sushubh

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Just get a low cost VPN. Airtel high speed plans would probably still cost more.

R

Rickysin

ISP
Jio fiber
How did i not thought of upnp. I enabled upnp in my router and voila … speed on torrents are now as per plan. Ubuntu torrent now giving 28MBPS speed. Earlier it was hovering between 1-3 MBPS.

this test was on airtel ftth. So airtel is not throttling torrents . Phew!

tatyasky

tatyasky

I got banned!
ISP
TataPlay & Jio
Best would be to buy a cheap seedbox and https download completed torrents from it using your fav download managers. Try seedhost.eu

C

Chip

ISP
FTTH: Airtel, TPBB, BSNL
LTE: Airtel, Jio, Vi
Anyone else facing this issue or is this specific to my area?
If by area you mean city then, no, I am not facing throttling issues with TSBB. The only issue that arises is the fact that they use CG-NAT and that causes problems with torrenting. Airtel provides public IPv4 in Pune and you have a choice of a static IPv4. With TSBB you can opt for a IPv6 address. This one will be public and cause no issues.

R

Rehan Kumar

ISP
Airtel FTTH
Isn't cloudflare warp decent enough as VPN for torrent downloading purposes for most people? Origin IP address shouldn't be passed along as there is no HTTP protocol being used

Unless port forwarding is required which not many VPN providers have anyway

Lolita_Magnum

Lolita_Magnum

🦜
ISP
ARTL-24560
VIL-55410
SLN-208959
HTZ-24940
Try forcing encryption(require encryption) and enabling anonymous mode in the qbittorrent app. See if there's a difference.
Also change your dns, so those peeps atleast have a bit of less knowledge about your history.