• Thread starter Thread starter AvidWatcher
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 6,929

AvidWatcher

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 1 mbps Unlimited, Vodafone 3G
Hi guys,I recently watched the Big TV channel list and am impressed. Channel offerings are a combination of all the channels available on Dish TV and Tata Sky itself.It is disappointing to bear the limitations of Tata Sky, due to transponder shortage. Moreover, customers of Tata Sky have to bear the brunt of the bitter rivalry between Rupert Murdoch and Zee's Subhash Chandra.I hope DTH interoperability comes into effect soon...much like owning the set top box and having the liberty to choose the operator.I would like to know if MPEG4 compression can be a possible on Tata Sky, by adding additonal device or something. Also what do you think could be Tata Sky's options for being ahead of BIG TV.

well, TS already has important channels that most people see... except some music channels and some regional channels... in some thread in ts forum, one said that Tata(Sky is going to add about 25 channels of regional basis.... i dont know if they are gonna add that... but thinking of Big TV launch somewhere before june,(hopefully), TS may add.. let us wait and watch... 🙂And dont compare TS with Dishtv. TS is way ahead of them in quality and customer support...

I would like to ask that who has told u that Tata Sky has no space.I saw this question many times and i however talked to the customer service and they told that tata sky can add now upto 30 channels and they r thinking of a way to increase the size of the transporder

Transponder size cannot be increased. They can compress more and add channels. But for that also there are many limitations. Now Tata Sky has nearly saturated their compression.Star movies on Dish tv is at 2.3MBPS and on Tatasky it is just 1.77MBPS.Star sports on Dish tv is at 2.96MBPS and on Tatasky it is just 2.6MBPS.ESPN on Dishtv is at 3.24MBPS and on Tatasky it is just 1.9MBPS.I can list a lot more but it won't be useful as most of the TS members are not going to accept the fact that both Dish tv and Tatasky nearly has the same quality on most channels. In fact Dish tv has better quality on sports channels. Posting this just to tell that telling TS quality is excellent is baseless and it is just madness.

em using dish tv zenega cd-2007 and satmax is showing ipl it got worse pic quality some compressions do need alot of band width but some compression tht tata is using requires less bandwidth. single channel of Tata Sky is far more clear thn all the channels of dish tv i have both so i can easily compare.

Transponder size cannot be increased. They can compress more and add channels. But for that also there are many limitations. Now Tata Sky has nearly saturated their compression.

Star movies on Dish tv is at 2.3MBPS and on Tatasky it is just 1.77MBPS.
Star sports on Dish tv is at 2.96MBPS and on Tatasky it is just 2.6MBPS.
ESPN on Dishtv is at 3.24MBPS and on Tatasky it is just 1.9MBPS.

I can list a lot more but it won't be useful as most of the TS members are not going to accept the fact that both Dish tv and Tatasky nearly has the same quality on most channels. In fact Dish tv has better quality on sports channels.

Posting this just to tell that telling TS quality is excellent is baseless and it is just madness.

Dish TV- INSAT 4B, NSS 6 - India (95.0E) Last Chart Update: 2008-05-02, 08:56
STAR SPORTS 2.84 mbps
ESPN 4.55 mbps
Star Movies 2.3 mbps
AXN- 1.9 mbps
Sun TV 1.87 mbps
K TV 1.37 Mbps

TataSky- INSAT 3B,4A - India (83.0E) Last Chart Update: 2008-05-02, 08:47
STAR SPORTS 3.7 mbps
ESPN 4.02 mbps
Star Movies 1.21 mbps
AXN 2.17 mbps
Sun TV 2.45 mbps
KTV 1.63 Mbps

The bit rate for broadcast with different providers (Tata Sky/DISH TV) is different because channels that need high data rate bursts in order to prevent pixelization of the picture, such as live sports events will obtain the bandwidth as they need it by reducing the data rate for other services that do not. "PLEASE GO THRU THE FOLLOWING DETAILS IT WILL THROW MORE LIGHT" What does "symbol rate 2-45 MS/s, SCPC & MCPC receivable" mean ?Symbol-rate is a measure of the quatity of digital information per unit time that is embedded in the microwave satellite signal.It's unit is MegaSymbols per second. It is analogous to the "bit-rate" used in computer terminology.Most receivers can process from about 2 to 40 or 45, though a few receivers are limited to a small range, or even limited to a few specific values. SCPC = Single Channel Per CarrierType of transmission where only a part of the available transponder is used for the signal, allowing the satellite operator to sell the remaining space on the transponder to other uplinkers. SCPC is typically used for feeds rather than for direct programming, and for some channels which are not really intended for mass consumption (eg directed at cable distributors). SCPC's advantage over MCPC is that the signals uplinked to the same transponder can be transmitted up to the satellite from different locations. MCPC = Multiple Channel Per CarrierAn average satellite transponder has a bandwidth of 27 MHz, sufficient for multiple video or audio channels to be transmitted simultaneously. MCPC uses a technique called Time Division Multiplex to transmit multiple programs, which works by sending data for one channel at a certain time and then data for another channel at another time. Many encoder manufacturers are currently experimenting with statistical multiplexing of MPEG-2 data. Using this technique, channels that need high data rate bursts in order to prevent pixelization of the picture, such as live sports events will obtain the bandwidth as they need it by reducing the data rate for other services that do not. Most receivers can process both SCPC and MCPC signals. Again, though, there are a few "crippled" receivers that can only process MCPC.Symbol rate depends on the bandwidth used. In DVB-S transmissions (that use QPSK) one symbol means 2 bits.So, (bit rate)=(symbol rate)*2. This is the total bit rate. The useful bit rate (used for the services and the SI tables) is less than the total bit rate. The rest is the error correction data.(total bit rate)=(useful bit rate)+(error correction bit rate)SCPC carriers are used for fixed satellite services. One broadcaster can send material to another using an SCPC transmission. The commercial transmissions are MCPC.In the past, some receivers were incapable of receiving low bit rate signals. Some old receivers could support 16-45MSps (for example).If the carrier has a low symbol rate (not 27500 or 30000 but 4123, 3666 etc) then the total bandwidth of the carrier is also low. If the Local Oscillator of the LNB is not accurate then it may be difficult to receive. You may have to "play" with the frequency (increase or decrease it). I have faced a problem like this. Although i had a professional LNB, i had to set the frequency to a higher value (+5MHz).

Tata Sky has loads of catching up to do in terms of channel offerings, since the MPEG4 technology offered by BIG cannot be offered by them (Tata Sky) for now.Let's see how Mr Rupert Murdoch and Mr Ratan Tata attack Mr Anil Ambani's Big TV.World over...Rupert Murdoch's DTH companies are market leaders...let's see if he can sustain the same in India

"PLEASE GO THRU THE FOLLOWING DETAILS IT WILL THROW MORE LIGHT"

I tried similar things here but they are refusing to accept and keep on maintaing that TS has dvd quality 🙁 So let them enjoy their DVD quality.

The channel offerigs are not much different, only the rate at which they are offered are less.. But wait for the launch i'm sure there will be problems related to the service.. 🙂