Tata SKY+ New DVR STB split wide open (The inside with photos :)

• Thread starter Thread starter chetanhooli
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 131,547
great work! but i wonder how the file is copy-protected on a FAT32.

Thanks for this update , does nyone know how to do a Full System Reset on Tata Sky?

Chetan, here's what you do:

Hold LEFT+RIGHT (forward and backward buttons) at power on (from the mains socket).
Release and press SELECT when the ring flashes.
Ring cycles backwards, RECORD lights to indicate failure of quick format, PLAY lights to indicate success.
Box then returns to standby.
Wait 5 minutes before bringing out of standby with remote or front panel button.

This is the equivalent of a Full System Reset (Quick Format) via the menus. It will delete all recordings and planner entries!

Chetan, here's what you do:

Hold LEFT+RIGHT (forward and backward buttons) at power on (from the mains socket).
Release and press SELECT when the ring flashes.
Ring cycles backwards, RECORD lights to indicate failure of quick format, PLAY lights to indicate success.
Box then returns to standby.
Wait 5 minutes before bringing out of standby with remote or front panel button.

This is the equivalent of a Full System Reset (Quick Format) via the menus. It will delete all recordings and planner entries!

wow....how u got to know all that??? jus curious

wow....how u got to know all that??? jus curious

Making friends with the installation guys does have its advantages......😗

Guys,Why do u want spend so much money for TV Recording....Try this one, This looks to be good, Multi Purpose Gadget....eBay India: JXD MP4 PLAYER CUM DVR (DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER) LATEST (item 250327648740 end time 25-Nov-2008 11:52:09 IST)Cheeers..P.S. I have posted this another thread also.

Guys,

Why do u want spend so much money for TV Recording....

Try this one, This looks to be good, Multi Purpose Gadget....

eBay India: JXD MP4 PLAYER CUM DVR (DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER) LATEST (item 250327648740 end time 25-Nov-2008 11:52:09 IST)

Cheeers..

P.S. I have posted this another thread also.

Are you joking!!! The features that an inbuilt DVR/PVR can give is no comparison to an external recorder. For one, you can't record two programmes, secondly no recording when you aren't home, third can't record when you're watching another programme, fourth... oh the list is too long...... how can you even compare the two....:hysterical:

Guys, I think the focus should be on getting the files out and decoding them on the PC. If this can be done upgrading the HD size won't be so important anymore.

Chetan, awesome job! - it's pioneers like you who lead mankind to glory! :yahoo:

The sad fact is that the recordings are probably encrypted (as expected), but just to cover all possiblities try and check a recording file with TrIDNet, it understands > 3500 file formats.

Are you joking!!! The features that an inbuilt DVR/PVR can give is no comparison to an external recorder. For one, you can't record two programmes, secondly no recording when you aren't home, third can't record when you're watching another programme, fourth... oh the list is too long...... how can you even compare the two....:hysterical:

OK,You have said the Minus Points...
I will tell you the Plus Point....

" What ever you record in this , can be transferred to system, for future"

I didnt say its better or equal , but its a good MULTI PURPOSE gadget, for the price.
Thats IT.

OK,You have said the Minus Points...
I will tell you the Plus Point....

" What ever you record in this , can be transferred to system, for future"

I didnt say its better or equal , but its a good MULTI PURPOSE gadget, for the price.
Thats IT.

So it's a "nice to have" ad-on but can't be a replacement for the PVR. You said don't waste money on PVR, instead get this. That is what I said is comparing two very different products - it's like comparing a Maruti 800 against a Honda Accord, where's the comparison!!! Instead of a multipurpose gadget, I would recommend a DVD recorder instead - no transfer issues, record directly on media!!

So it's a "nice to have" ad-on but can't be a replacement for the PVR. You said don't waste money on PVR, instead get this. That is what I said is comparing two very different products - it's like comparing a Maruti 800 against a Honda Accord, where's the comparison!!! Instead of a multipurpose gadget, I would recommend a DVD recorder instead - no transfer issues, record directly on media!!

Yes.DVD Recorder is a Good Option.
But I think, even that is like that gadget,where only the particular program which you are viewing, can be recorded and moreover expensive, around 9K I think.
But this one seems to be a handy[ Hope you had a look at the website about this] and cheap for 3.5K with MP4 Player and 2.8 inches Screen, 5GB Expandable Memory.

If some one is planning to buy mp4 players, cant we suggest this multi-purpose gadget?:thumb:

Yes.DVD Recorder is a Good Option.
But I think, even that is like that gadget,where only the particular program which you are viewing, can be recorded and moreover expensive, around 9K I think.
But this one seems to be a handy[ Hope you had a look at the website about this] and cheap for 3.5K with MP4 Player and 2.8 inches Screen, 5GB Expandable Memory.

If some one is planning to buy mp4 players, cant we suggest this multi-purpose gadget?:thumb:

Hey Karthik, do you get some commission on the sale of this product??? This is a portable DVD player which is very different from a PVR/DVR set top box!! Like I said earlier, you're offering oranges to people who want to buy apples. What's a portable DVD player gotta do with Tata Sky or Tata Sky+ ???

Hey Karthik, do you get some commission on the sale of this product??? This is a portable DVD player which is very different from a PVR/DVR set top box!! Like I said earlier, you're offering oranges to people who want to buy apples. What's a portable DVD player gotta do with Tata Sky or Tata Sky+ ???

I will be happy if I get commission.But unfortunately Not.😡
I just said my opinion,on this gadget.:frown:
And I didnt say, this is best or better than TS+.😕
From, your comments , I think u get some commission for TS+.:huh:
If yes, I will also promote TS+ and lets share the money.😀
As of now, I have I have a 10% Discount voucher with EBAY for any purchase you do there.:thumb:
Dont ask whether I work for Ebay now,I got this as a compliment for my previous purchase there.🙂
If you want I will give you the voucher.:cool2: