Tata SKY+ New DVR STB split wide open (The inside with photos :)

• Thread starter Thread starter chetanhooli
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 131,518
chetan. try this fast and let me know! if this plays the str file!
PSMplay - Playstation Utility in General Category - Zophar's Domain

GREAT Playstation utility that plays .str and .xa files, and can also view .tim files. This utility can also convert the movies to either AVI's, or the sound output to .WAV's

Tried that no go , still doesnt play the .str files. Havent been able to Ghost the HDD either.... next steps is to try and copy files to a new HDD (except .str files) and see if Tata Sky lets me view tv with a new HDD connected!:O

hi all, This is excellent work you are doing.I think if we can not transfer video to computer or DVD it is little bit useless.

Alright tried to get a 5 minute recording off the HDD and I couldnt copy the files !
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5692/wd3zn1.jpg

In the above screen shot the recorded file is stream.str ! all other files in the above screen shot copied except stream.str , this was a 6 minute recording and the file size was 122 MB .
I couldnt open this file with any of the media players either....

Some sort of write protection!

So looks like if you want to upgrade you just cannot get a new HDD and add it you will mostly have to first use norton ghost and ghost the original HDD to the new HDD then it may work (planning this experiment for next week.

I did try connecting my 120 GBG hdd and when I switch on STB no channles showed up.

So hold on for the next few days ill try to see what exactly we would need to do to upgrade the HDDs and copy recorded content.

Upgrading HDD may work but copying the recorded content may not !
R15: Need to copy/transfer saved videos/movies - DBSTalk.Com

Frojm a user on the above site \".STR files are encrypted on the hard drive, and the only way to de-crypt them is with the original DVR and access card they were recorded on. There is absolutely no way to retrieve or recover them as a computer file\"

Cool. Hey could you record a smaller stream may be a minute and send it over to me using link-removed etc. I'll try to check the mime types of file and see whether it matched with something. also send the other smaller files with it.

Would be very greatful.

Anyways A bit of breakthrough(I guess)
http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/download/Media%20eLinker0414.pdf

This is the soft from the Humax people to transfer files from the PVR to the comp.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/download/Setup(Media-eLinker).zip

This one is used for a Humax 9200T PVR receiver . give it a try to this soft. It may work.

The PDF has the step on how to connect the receiver..
Connect the Receiver using the USB (A-B) Cable etc.

Hello Mr.Awesome ,

yes you Chetan, i thought i might help you a bit with this info about Sky+ PVR , in case you have not referred to yet.

Everything Sky+
Media player - Personal Computer World
Sky+ Hard Disk Replacement

Also i think i read somewhere the hard disk for Sky + boxes has 2 partitions of 80 gigs each , 80 gigs is used for the rewind buffer by the box and cannot be used for recording purpose so the new HD should have similar partitions and also that the box fan will run continuously after the an upgrade.

Since Tata Sky+ and Sky+ use the same proprietary software things would more or less be same.

And you dont realise how much good you are doing to a community like us.

Cheers Mate

Are u able to record programmes, when STB is in Stand By Mode. :huh:

Yes you can

^^^^ it won't copy recorded programs to Comp.it will help if you want to upgrade your HDD to bigger sizeit's a backup program for backing up SKY+ HDD

I am not sure whether this is the case with other providers across the world. but, I am wondering whether they have a software restriction too to not to record more than their shipped hard disk capacity.too much of speculation?

I did some through searching on net for copying programs from sky+ to computers and not found a single discussion regarding removing the HardDisk and copying the files. All of them discussed about attaching a DVD recorder or recording using a TV Tuner card. From this we can make out that no one has cracked the encryption of the files which the STB has recorded. :wall::wall::wall:

Thanks for all the updates guys. I will be trying out most of your suggestions. Am hoping at least one will work.

Primary focus now is to get another hDD to work with the STB. Once we cross that hurdle lets try other options of transffering the recorded content.

For guys requesting the .str file , as I said this is copy protected and I have not been able to copy this or upload this. 🙁.

Thanks for the below suggestion will try this firt thing. Since the week has begun progress will be slow until the weekend arrives

Anyways A bit of breakthrough(I guess)
http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/dow...Linker0414.pdf

This is the soft from the Humax people to transfer files from the PVR to the comp.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/dow...a-eLinker).zip

This one is used for a Humax 9200T PVR receiver . give it a try to this soft. It may work.

The PDF has the step on how to connect the receiver..
Connect the Receiver using the USB (A-B) Cable etc.

I did some through searching on net for copying programs from sky+ to computers and not found a single discussion regarding removing the HardDisk and copying the files. All of them discussed about attaching a DVD recorder or recording using a TV Tuner card.

From this we can make out that no one has cracked the encryption of the files which the STB has recorded. :wall::wall::wall:

Hi Venkat

You mention of using DVD Recorder for Backing up the recorded items,

how is it done

i have a DVD Recorder & will be upgrading from TS to TS+ soon, please do let us know how it's done

Sabir

Hi Venkat

You mention of using DVD Recorder for Backing up the recorded items,

how is it done

i have a DVD Recorder & will be upgrading from TS to TS+ soon, please do let us know how it's done

Sabir
You can connect the O/P of STB via DVD Recorder to your television.