• Thread starter Thread starter disher
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,812

disher

all in one!!
ISP
ADL
Today I know from net that Tata Sky has only the capacity of 120 channels. But dish TV has the capacity of 400 channels. Is it true or not?

No....

Today I know from net that Tata Sky has only the capacity of 120 channels. But dish TV has the capacity of 400 channels. Is it true or not?
Welcome to India BB forums !
Where did you read or heard this ?

I read about Dish TV channel capacity in Dish TV website FAQ section. Tata Sky uses 12 ku band transponders. One transponder is used for maximum number of 10 channels. So tatasky has the capacity of upto 120 channels.I want to know this information is correct or not?

how can it b true unless there is something that can prevent Tata Sky from purchasing more or better transponders which can handle more channels.. and why do u worry.. i m sure u cant even count the names of 30 channels that u are already receiving

how can it b true unless there is something that can prevent Tata Sky from purchasing more or better transponders which can handle more channels.. and why do u worry.. i m sure u cant even count the names of 30 channels that u are already receiving
Yup,As most of the channels are useless for me .Specially the regional ones .

I read somewhere that they can actually telecast more than 150 channels ,but In actual they are not even Telecasting 110 channels .

Ideally there should be 8 (video) channels per transponders. Any more than that and the quality has to be compromised. The broadcasters can reduce the bandwidth on most non-sports channels (fewer areas require refreshing) without a noticeable drop in quality (due to the nature of MPEG compression). Allowing for this (assuming 4 sports channels since no one is showing Neo Sports) they could cram up to 11-12 channels in a transponder. Once Dish TV gets the extra transponders because of DD leaving NSS-6 they should also have 12 transponders (not sure about this number).It should also be noted that Dish TV claims they have added additional compression over the existing MPEG compression used to increase the amount of channels they can offer but seeing the state of their current quality I doubt it helped much.

DishTV's STB has the capacity of showing 400 channels. But the bottleneck is the transponder capacity. For showing 400 channels you need around 25 transponders. Dish TV has currently 7 and adding another 5. Where as on other hand Tata Sky has kept its transponders underutilized and are busy in fighting with broadcasters to share feed.