Tata Sky is afraid of Netflix and other streaming video services

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 4,240

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
Looks like TS might be scared of the online streaming services like Netflix.

They have been showing the ads on the starting channel number 100 for wifi dongle to enable video on demand and I also got a call from their call center telling me it is "free" to enable it for my STB - I just said I don't have a good internet connection so not interested in the wifi feature.

They actually asked if I have a "good internet connection" - maybe they are trying to collect info on potential loss of user base to Netflix etc. Since I said I don't have a good connection they said thanks and ended the call, maybe they think/know I will not be migrating away from TS any time soon.

They giving free access to watch same subscribed channels on max 2 apps.
done free after netflix launch in India.

OK OK OK OK - I updated thread title to mention "and other streaming video services" like I had already written in OP 😛

Yeah I guess Hotstar might end up most popular if they can undercut netflix/Amazon on pricing and assuming people who watch the shitty daily soaps have good internet connections.

yup. i have not checked their pricing but i think it's Rs. 200 per user? if they can launch a multi-user account that multiple people can share at discounted pricing, i would take it because it has the programming that my mom would watch. plus the hbo shows would work out well for me too. right now i am not interested...

ditto tv can go fuck itself. the "HD" quality is worse than SD on youtube, atleast Hotstar streams HD on good internet connections.

yup. i have not checked their pricing but i think it's Rs. 200 per user? if they can launch a multi-user account that multiple people can share at discounted pricing, i would take it because it has the programming that my mom would watch. plus the hbo shows would work out well for me too. right now i am not interested...
its only one stream sadly.

They are already too late in the latest trend of streaming services. I have seen lot of my friends moving on to Fire TV Stick or Apple TV instead of opting for the secondary connection on DTH in personal room. There are also rumors of Amazon Prime coming to Apple TV 4K eventually. Even Airtel Internet TV has gone miles ahead with Netflix, Android TV & Cast, if they can squash some interface bugs.

Tata Sky is not even lowering their ever increasing package cost. There is no such thing as customer retention in their business model. No offers what so ever on disconnection. If only my parents can let go of them.