• Thread starter Thread starter Jignesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,483

Jignesh

Regulars
ISP
Beam Fiber
MUMBAI: Tata Sky, a joint venture between Tata Group and Star, has invested over Rs 35 billion in the direct-to-home (DTH) venture and has mopped up six million subscribers.

The company has revised upwards its funding requirement to over Rs 40 billion. Earlier, Tata Sky had revisited its investment plan and earmarked Rs 40 billion as its capital requirement.

“We have already spent over Rs 35 billion. The fund requirement will be over Rs 40 billion,” says Tata Sky managing director and chief executive officer Vikram Kaushik.

The company, still incurring losses, is on course for operational break even. “Our revenues are higher than even Dish TV. Our ARPUs (average revenue per user) are the highest in the industry,” says Kaushik, while refusing to give further details.

Tata Sky’s ARPUs, according to industry sources, stand at Rs 190. The industry’s ARPUs, on the other hand, fall in the region of Rs 135-150.

Star has got the FIPB (Foreign Investment Promotion Board) nod to up its stake in Tata Sky from 20 per cent to 29.8 per cent. Star is buying for Rs 3.24 billion a 49 per cent stake in Tata Group’s investment firm TS Investments which will, in turn, buy a 20 per cent stake in Tata Sky. This will give effectively an additional 9.8 per cent stake to Star in Tata Sky.

“Star will hold close to 30 per cent in Tata Sky. The Tatas will have around 60 per cent and Temasek 10 per cent,” says Kaushik.

Source:

Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge > Tata Sky has invested Rs 35 billion in DTH venture

High ARPU hah... wish i could switch to something else. Stuck with Tata Sky 🙁1 Tatasky Plus STB with 3 normal STB addon on Mega Pack with multi room option = Rs. 10,900 PA. Wish i could getting something which is more value for moneyWill the price for DTH ownership even come down ?

Did you have a look at the new packs? Sometimes it is worthwhile to figure out what one really wants to watch vs what channels one subscribes to. I too had a major complaint against Tata Sky for its pricey packages, but with the new flexible TruChoice packages, that one complaint is definitely addressed.

Did you have a look at the new packs? Sometimes it is worthwhile to figure out what one really wants to watch vs what channels one subscribes to. I too had a major complaint against Tata Sky for its pricey packages, but with the new flexible TruChoice packages, that one complaint is definitely addressed.

No pal, i normally stay away from those package hassles because they keep changing it as per their wish. Mega pack is the only way to get all the channels you need without any worries of skipping or getting stuck in a certain pack. Correct me if i'm wrong - We need most English/hindi entertainment channels + kids section + All Sports + South Indian(yes we watch kannada/telgu & tamil channels at times) - so there is no better pack for me

Based on what you have mentioned, I would pick the Economy Annual Pack + Kids + English Movies + English Entertainment + Sports Bonanza + one extra regional top up (Economy gives you two, so you can pick say Tamil and Telugu there, and Kannada extra). That comes to

1650 + 540 + 540 + 420 + 1320 + 300 = 4770.

Your Sports package seems to be making up a big chunk of that. If you can make the effort of picking your packages as per events, it would be even cheaper 🙂