Tata Sky+ DTH Service: How about a Standalone DVR?

• Thread starter Thread starter skoka123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,956

skoka123

ISP
BSNL
How would you like a standalone DVR Vs a DVR with no interoperability.The one drawback the standalone DVR might have is that it can record only one show at a time (single tuner). The other being a way of downloading the EPG via internet or dial up.The major advantages are:1) Platform independent (Will work with Tata Sky, Big, Airtel, local cable, digital cable, IPTV etc). So your investment is safe.2) Watch internet Video3) Listen to internet audio4) Schedule recordings from any web enabled java based device (mobiles and PCs)5) Stream live and recorded TV to a mobile device.6) SPDIF out7) Component and DVI/HDMI outCost: Around 10K.Would you be interested?

can u pls provide picture of satnalone DVR device ? if possiblee pls provide link for more information. Than ks in advance 🙂

i have been on a quest for that. the only way is a pc which is impracticaland the dvrs in the market seriously affect the picture quality, hence making it redundant on my tvs(i have a Sony w series 40 and a samsung series 4 32)

Oops!!!It is still vapourware! I am in discussions with some companies and trying to convince them to come up with a standalone DVR that will replace HTPC. I currently use a HTPC, XBOX 360 and a networked DVD player to integrate my home theater, PCs, Bedroom and living room TVs. This setup works fine for me as I have the means to get updated EPG for indian channels to schedule TV recording etc and more importantly the patience to do it. It is no good for mainstream public. My wife wouldn't even touch it though my children like it.I did some more research on this subject and a basic DVR like the one Tata Sky is providing will probably work out around 8 to 9K while the one that I have initially described in the first post seems to be a bit more expensive around 13 to 14K. I am thinking that for 13 to 15K we can have a networked DVR + multimedia power house that can pull Audio and Videos from networked PCs etc.If some one is interested in EPG for your HTPC so that you can build your own HTPC based DVR (similar to my existing setup) do PM me and I will see if I can share it with you. Please note that this has nothing to do with the Standalone DVR Project.Regarding pictures of standalone DVR, there has already been an attempt albeit not too successful. See wizo.tv for more info. I am looking at something more comprehensive. The only thing that would worry me is the lack of marketing muscle.In a month or two I will be ready with a Proof-Of-Concept prototype of the Standalone DVR and I will post pics then.