Tata Sky DTH: Cable on steroids will `hit` DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter disher
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 6,293
@its me does that mean the parent company of MSO will be using HITS and it will give signals to lacal mso. Eg., Hathway or incablenet are mso's and they have head office in delhi or bombay. Hits will be facility where the head office by using the hits facility will provide signals to their own mso's who are based in chennai, bangalore or kolkata. Please correct me if i am wrong

I will try to explain with some more details1. Cable: Presently every broadcaster has a master satellite (INSAT, ASIASAT, PAS, etc all C-band) where they uplink their signals and the signals are downlink from same satellite. Cable operators pick signal from various satellites (so we can see they have 3-4 big dishes on their roof top) and then selects the channels from satellite signals as per regional demand, then modulate and send via cable to his customers2. DTH: DTH operator (Tata Sky/DISH/DDD+) also downlink channels from Master satellite then select channels only they have purchased from channel provider (STAR/ZEE/Sony/SUN/ETV/NEO/ESS). Then this channels are uplinked to their provider satellite (INSAT 4A/NSS6 - Ku band) from which viewers can directly downlink via small dish and receive channels as per package subscribed.3. HITS: In HITS each broadcaster can uplink his channel signals (Free or encrypted) to a dedicated satellite (C/Ku Band) from any location in country. The HITS operator (or license holder) can downlink this signals from this single dedicated satellie and send select channels as per regional demand and send it to his users in conventional analog format (so no need of STB, but will have limitations of cable) or in digital format which will need STB to decode channels and can also provide services like EPG, ACTIVE (may be its somewhat similiar to present digital cable providers)

@aju, yes , thats my understanding. I read an article about HITS in either outlook or the week recently. If you get a chance..... check it out. Its the DTH for the MSOs... 🙂

I will try to explain with some more details
1. Cable: Presently every broadcaster has a master satellite (INSAT, ASIASAT, PAS, etc all C-band) where they uplink their signals and the signals are downlink from same satellite. Cable operators pick signal from various satellites (so we can see they have 3-4 big dishes on their roof top) and then selects the channels from satellite signals as per regional demand, then modulate and send via cable to his customers
2. DTH: DTH operator (Tata Sky/DISH/DDD+) also downlink channels from Master satellite then select channels only they have purchased from channel provider (STAR/ZEE/Sony/SUN/ETV/NEO/ESS). Then this channels are uplinked to their provider satellite (INSAT 4A/NSS6 - Ku band) from which viewers can directly downlink via small dish and receive channels as per package subscribed.
3. HITS: In HITS each broadcaster can uplink his channel signals (Free or encrypted) to a dedicated satellite (C/Ku Band) from any location in country. The HITS operator (or license holder) can downlink this signals from this single dedicated satellie and send select channels as per regional demand and send it to his users in conventional analog format (so no need of STB, but will have limitations of cable) or in digital format which will need STB to decode channels and can also provide services like EPG, ACTIVE (may be its somewhat similiar to present digital cable providers)

I understand the 1st & 2nd part.

In the 3rd part some what i have understand if i am correct what you said it means that all the broadcasters like sony, star, zee, ESS, Sun, Etv need to uplink their channels in a particular satelliete i.e., all the channels need to uplinked to Insat 4A(Eg) and then an MSO with only one dish can select the channels what he wants and then give it to the end customers right😕

In the 3rd part some what i have understand if i am correct what you said it means that all the broadcasters like Sony, star, zee, ESS, Sun, Etv need to uplink their channels in a particular satelliete i.e., all the channels need to uplinked to Insat 4A(Eg) and then an MSO with only one dish can select the channels what he wants and then give it to the end customers right😕
I guess so. May be channel broadcaster will directly uplink their signals to HITS satellite. Or may be there will be someone in between (can be from govt. side) who maintains HITS satellite system who will uplink the signals.
Only benefit I see is cable operator all over India can receive signals for all channels by single dish, and then he can select the channels as per regional demand and pass it on to viewers. So viewers can also pay only for what they receive. And it will also provide possibility of carriage of all available channels due to availability of transponders (Although HITS operator should first take care of this to accomodate 400+ channels)

Oh now i have a good on hits. For this i need to thank you guys & especially kedarisv for making me to understand :yahoo:. By hits i belive it would be good for local cable service provdier where he can get the entire channels in one Dish:thumbsup:

In the 3rd part some what i have understand if i am correct what you said it means that all the broadcasters like Sony, star, zee, ESS, Sun, Etv need to uplink their channels in a particular satelliete i.e., all the channels need to uplinked to Insat 4A(Eg) and then an MSO with only one dish can select the channels what he wants and then give it to the end customers right😕
I think "broadcasters" here means the HITS operator and not the content provider. He will be getting the channels from different satellites ,adds his own channels and uplink everything together to a single satellite. Please correct me is I am wrong.

Now i understood 99% of the concept of hits as its very simple:

The operator uplinks signals of TV channels of different broadcasters to his HITS satellite in the sky. The cable operators across the country can then downlink these TV channels from this satellite for further distribution to the subscribers through their cable network in digital form. Since the HITS satellite will have country-side footprint, it will benefit about 60,000 cable operators who serve nearly 70 million cable TV homes.

If i am correct here the operator mean the HIT license holder or it might be boradcaster too. Please correct me if i am worng