Tata Sky Broadband: Static IPV6 - Unable to Configure

Nope, Tried everything even not working on Nokia G-140W-F. Looks like issue with TSBB backend. Their incompetent technical support has not idea what is the issue.

@nerdseeder Try logging into your ONT with following settings:
username : admin
password : Last 8 digits of mac id written behind your ONT

So guys, finally, I got IPV6 activated on my connection.
Raised a request from Tata Sky BB Self Care Website.

UTPLbP9.png

and same is activated within 2 to 3 hours.
My IPV6 can be seen in the below screenshot.

pkJeZma.png

Has anybody successfully manually configured TS dynamic IPv6 on their non Nokia routers? I am trying on my Asus but that's a no go. It only gets a fe80:.. IP a link local address.

I need the detailed settings please. It is DHCPv6 for sure with IPv6 requisitioned over v4. But no luck so far. The tech told be IPv6 is automatically enabled on all connections and v4 also has to be switched on for authentication. But if you need a static IP you need to use the app to request one or call their helpline

So guys, finally, I got IPV6 activated on my connection.
Raised a request from Tata Sky BB Self Care Website.

UTPLbP9.png

and same is activated within 2 to 3 hours.
My IPV6 can be seen in the below screenshot.

pkJeZma.png
What did you select under Network > WAN > Address Method?

I have got Tata Sky broadband installed today. Their modem is in bridge mode. I got static IPv6 enabled. I am using Asus Router to dial a connection. Anyone able to use remote desktop using only IPv6?

I have enabled static IPv6 as per confirmation of Tata Sky customer support. How am I supposed to access my Router? I am using Asus Router which is dialing PPPoE connection and TataSky Nokia ONU is in bridge mode.
I tried the basic format https://[2400:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1]:6000 where 6000 is my router’s https WAN port.

Ok guys, so here's the good news, well, if you call dynamic IPv6 good news. TSBB have started handing out dynamic v6 addresses to routers and those configured correctly will hand them to the local LAN clients too. All you need to do in pfSense is:

In the TSBB WAN connection:
a) enable DHCPv6
b) Check "Request a IPv6 prefix/information through the IPv4 connectivity link"
b) set PD to 64

Click on Save.

Go to the LAN interface properties in pfSense:
a) in "IPv6 configuration type" Select "Track Interface"
b) Scroll down to "Track IPv6 interface" and select the WAN interface that corresponds to your TSBB connection.
c) Click on Save
My LAN interface has a v6 address as well that starts with 2402:..xxxxx xxxx...................

On the PC/client:
a) Go to your PC's LAN connection properties and make sure IPv6 is checked., If it isn't just check and click on OK.
b) Voila, your PC and any v6 enabled device will get the address.

You will see the 2402 series v6 address assigned to the adapter and the DNS server with a v6 address in the PC's connection properties.

@Sushubh - I can't seem to upload any image. How do I do this? Also my PM Inbox seems to be missing or it's possible I am missing something. Request you to help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
ok guys, out of sheer curiosity I had TSBB activate a static IPv6 for me. It was assigned last night and I received a call with the IP and PD value. Has anybody successfully configured this on pfSense? @nerdseeder, were you successful?

If you have more than one VLAN on firewall.. it wont work.. I am not sure but probably it might not even work with single LAN interface.. The only OS I could make a /64 work was VYOS running on Edgerouter and some other people reported success with OpenWRT

Unfortunately both Airtel and now TSBB has same problem. Perhaps they are just looking at the number of addresses which a /64 can generate instead of its usability.

If you are in touch with their technical team.. please make them read the following...
Section 4.2.3 of Best Current Operational Practice for Operators: IPv6 prefix assignment for end-users - persistent vs non-persistent, and what size to choose

and

Section 4.2 of
Source

I am talking to TSBB support for help. The v6 "address" they sent has only the 1st 4 quartets denoting IANA/Continent/Country/ISP quartets followed by a double colon which may refer to the last 4 quartets of the local link IPV6 or whatever. Not sure. Silly of me for not having spotted it last night! Don't want to play more guessing games so thought of getting on a call with them.

I have set a VLAN and Priority value to the WAN interface to match that in the Nokia ONT.

first four quartets means /64.. 16 bits multiplied by 4. The remaining will be created by your firewall. In some cases like Linux, the address will be derived from the MAC address of the machine. Theoretically you can have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses for your home network. That's looks insane..

At the same time, I am bit confused, I thought you have the ONT in bridge mode and running PFSense as your main router.. Is that not the case??