• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,070

shaile

Tata Sky DTH FANBOY ALERT
ISP
hick
New Delhi Feb. 17

Direct-to-home (DTH) player Tata Sky Ltd expects to double its subscriber base to nine million by 2012 as it plans add more interactive applications and television channels to its platform.

“We expect to double our subscriber base by 2012,” said Mr Vikram Kaushik, CEO, Tata Sky. The three-year-old DTH player had a subscriber base of 4.5 million as of November 2009.

Tata Sky is a joint venture between the Tata Group and Star. The Tata Group owns 70 per cent stake in the DTH player, while Star holds 20 per cent and the remaining 10 per cent is held by Temasek.

Mr Kaushik said the company plans to invest heavily in strengthening its customer service initiatives. SerWizSol, a Tata Group company, runs three call centres for Tata Sky across the country at Mohali, Pune and Hyderabad offering customer support in 11 languages.

Tata Sky recently added eight new channels including Discovery Science and Discovery Turbo to its platform increasing the total number of channels to 180. It also added two Bengali and two Marathi channels.

“There are hardly any popular channels that are not on our platform. The new channel addition will be driven by the customer demand,” Mr Kaushik said adding the company will focus on offering more and more interactive applications.The Hindu Business Line : Tata Sky aims to double subscriber base to 9 m by 2012

how?I hope they don't count dead accounts (those have left service) as their current subscribers.

There may be some drastic improvements and changes which Tata Sky will bring in and there will definitely be innovation and additions of a whole set of channels along with active services. A Co.s vision and mission is co-ordinated to achieve goals and Tata Sky will have to stress on these efforts for customer to get attracted to the brand in this competitive market scenario.

actually i have heard from some sources that Tata Sky is working on totally messing up their services by increasing the prices of their services and removing some really popular channels... of course, i cannot confirm this. it is mostly a rumor for now.

The new Tata Sky Black box is MPEG4 enabled and this is a superior format of compression but it does not claim of having any effect on improving its video quality. There will be more channels influx with MPEG4 because of its compression.

i agreed George points, more compression pain to watch channels. I realized now, earlier used Tata Sky and then moved to Airtel at that time need to change Picture, color and Brightness. If connecting again to TataSky (not MPEG4), looks better to watch.

I have checked Videocon and TataSky Mepeg4 STB, picture quality likes Airtel. So, MPEG4 technology for LCD viewers not for regular CRT Tv viewer.

And one thing "Tata Sky aims to double unsubscriber base from 9 m by 2012" this is the correct one. They are not realize for package price and described leader of interactive service.

what is the use of interactive service, viewers need for channels rather then interactive services.

TataSky will learn when all subscribers to deactivate mode.........

Interactive services form a major advantage of having a dth these services take television viewing to the next level incase if it was only for channels cable providers give only channel. Having a dth means possessing a new advance usage of tv. When could you order a movie(not from stores) when new films are released? dth caters to that. For channels providing educational value there are rarely any channels or almost none that will provide benefits of learning from home. The new actve English aims at this target audience like housewives who will be comfortable and can indulge in a very participative learning. Education for children alongwith games is an icebraker and stress buster it has a very objective outcome of encouraging fun alongwith learning. Shopping from home has just become easier with actve services if it wasn't for active service all these functions of tv would stay dormant.

Most of these DTH service providers providing superior picture quality is a joke.The difference is for us to see on a LCD tv.Waiting for some more HD Channels.