Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
This is pretty awesome. Tata has started to offer Broadband Internet over Cable in Mumbai. The project is planned to spread to around 30 cities in the coming 2 years. The Tata Indicom Cable link from Chennai to Singapore is currently being worked upon and is expected be completed in few weeks time giving Tata the punch it needs.

The offering is initially planned to be on prepaid bases which is the norm in the cable internet market. The incredible part is the prices. Tata is reportedly charging just Rs. 360 per month for a speed of 512kbps. Nothing is reportedly mentioned on the data transfer limit. This is way below the prevailing rates in the market compared to other players.

VSNL Broadband at Incredible Prices through Cable #

Much as I want to see India on the broadband road, somehow all that is evoked is skepticism. Going by the track record of our ISPs, the speed on the ground would be a fourth of it with a download limit thrown in to boot.

Well, someone has to break the jinx. And Tata with its resources and the experience of VSNL just might be it. I am optimist about this because:Unlike Reliance which went big time with CDMA, Tata started small with Indicom and is slowly expanding the services. Tata has a better reputation of quality and service as a result. They are starting small, because they know its not as simple as it seems...

Going by my experience (on counts of customer service and quality of service) with Tata Indicom (which shares its parent Tata Teleservices with VSNL), on their FWT internet access, I can't hold out any optimism for VSNL's broadband service.However, I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

The only satisfied customer I find in my friend circle is one guy on spectranet. What is the world coming to 🙁

I recently got myself a Zee Next "broadband" connection, over cable. Its not blazing fast or anything but what I like about it is that the sales guys were honest enough to tell me up front that for a monthly fee of Rs. 1000 and unlimited downloads I would get between 70-128 kbps speeds and on the odd day it might go down to 50-60 kbps. I am happy to say that the speeds have more or less been in the 80-90 range. I have been using it for the past 3 weeks and uptime is 100%. And their customer care is very prompt. But they also palmed off a standard Motorola Surfboard SB 5100 DOCSIS cable modem for Rs. 5000. I later learnt that the same is available in the market for Rs. 2500. But I am entirely to blame for that. I should have enquired before buying it from them.

Nice. Never before heard of Zee Broadband... Maybe it is new. And if it is indeed new... You are in the honeymoon period. If not, well good to see more healthier competition. 🙂

Its not really new. They have been around for about 2-3 years now. They were probably one of the first to carry out trial runs for internet via cable. But I think their service is still largely limited to parts of South India. Check out http://www.zeeaccess.com

ah... limited area networking is nice... tata is largely successful with indicom because of that compared to reliance... sify on the other hand is scattered with ill informed CTOs...

i like 512 kbps @ Rs. 1500 pm no download caps.. no time sh¡t... is there any isp give that ?ok i ll go for 256 😕 i just need streamin audio that i rip

Hi,This is what I have been told for a connection. THis is Tata ADSL connection and not cable.Plan 1: 1000 turns to (with service tax : 1110) Rs/50hrs/512Kbps/ 1.75/mb anything onwardsPlan 2: 1500/GB and Rs 1.5/Mb onwardsPlan 3: 875/500Mb Rs 1.75/Mb onwardsPlan costsRs 3755/- Inclusive of 10% service tax(1000 Rs : Refundable one time security)Has anyone experienced their connection and how is it. Touchtel doesnt cover our area and the only others are Sify and Hotwire. About Sify I have heard very bad reviews in this forum.Anyone?.

Originally posted by Guest@Sep 20 2004, 07:48 PM
Has anyone experienced their connection and how is it. Touchtel doesnt cover our area and the only others are Sify and Hotwire. About Sify I have heard very bad reviews in this forum.

Anyone?.
[snapback]392[/snapback]
[/quote]

From my experience, Sify willl do well if they don't use some s#!tty CTO to provide the last mail. At home in Hyderabad we still have that Sify Bband line that I had installed when I was there. Since we live in an apartment building they installed their RF transceiver in the building itself. Each installation of that kind is capable of serving upto 200 people in the building using good old routers + CAT 5 cabling. Try to see what kind of installation Sify is promising in your area.

One thing though is that they charge heavily for installation and after using Touchtel/Airtel's 128 unlimited DSL now, I can only say that Sify's packages don't look tempting anymore.

Appu

Hello !!Good News ... for me .. today my SIFY pack expaired and I did not renewed it. I went back to my old ISP called PACENET, speed IS 25kbps @ 475 per month, best part is .. unlike SIFY they provide exactly what they promise. Last whole month I could not connect to winMX , as soon as I went back to PACENET winMX started working fine. Sify guys couldnt do anyting to resolve the issue. I am happy with PACENET 25kbps then to SIfySUXs broadband 64 kbps.About TATA-VSNL , I spoke to the company directly .. and they said the pack is around 400 ruppes a month and bandwidth is minimum 128kbps and maximum 512kbps. I checked it out here with one of my client, While FTP I got 32kbps upload speed and it took me less then a min to upload a 3MB file. I was shocked .. When I called up TATA-VSNL they told me that they will first check the fisibility in my area, things like Location, cabling etc etc and it will take them atleast 48hrs to do it. Its been a 3 days already and no call from them 😕 Other thing is .. we have a monopoly here in cable oprators and the oprator is with sify for some reson. I hope he will tie up with TATA-VSNL soon and I will enjoy .. a real BROADBAND !!I am feeling soooooooooooooooooooooo lucky that I am not in Delhi 😀😀 Plus I am seriouly thinking about going to a news paper and tell them the whole STORY about sify and get my complaint printed. This site will be the greatest help !! Thanks a lot guys.ByeMayureshPs. If you are using McAffee firrewall , you get lot of port scans through the network. When you open a window it shows you a graphical presentation of your PC and the other PC. I always get that IP and block it. I used to get atleast 10-15 port scans per day. This was case with sify. Now I am with PACENET and I got a portscan attack. I opend a same McAffee window. Unlike sify ,, this time I got My PC plus serise of other PCs.. they were linked with each other. I got all the IPs and I blocked them. And guess what, port scans are stopped. SifySux. Point is .. when you get those portscan attack , each time from different IP , the fact is . all those PCs are linked together, with sify you will never be able to find out all of them, coz sify network somehow just shows you the only first PC in the list. You block that IP and then you will get another portscan attack from the other PC in the same link ( network) , you keep on doing that. With PACENET I got all the linked PCs at once and could block all the IPs at once. Sloved my problem. Trust me Sify is the most insecure network I have ever seen. GET RID OF IT !!

Tata certainly seems to be doing good stuff to us. Would be waiting for them to come to Panchkula (I doubt it would come soon enough)...

Originally posted by Sushubh@Oct 10 2004, 01:05 AM
Tata certainly seems to be doing good stuff to us. Would be waiting for them to come to Panchkula (I doubt it would come soon enough)...
[snapback]841[/snapback]
[/quote]

My Zee Broadband connection seems to have gone hyper lately. I have been getting speeds of 200+ kbps in the night and early mornings in the last week. I first noticed it when large files were getting downloaded in a flash. Today its hovering around 400 kbps and touched 600+ when i ran a bandwidth test (see attached image). I am keeping my fingers crossed, I hope it isn't some glitch that the Zee folks discover and fix 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.