• Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 10,897
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimer

Geriatrix
ISP
bsnl 256kbps home 250 plan
Hi.. I am still wet behind the ears..Just ordered a Tata Indicom wireless phone connection with an internet zero rental plan They claim 70-90kbps speeds. Though i live in the midst of civilisation, my house is sorta landlocked and it could be a while before the "diggers" would be let in to wire-up broadband of any kind. I therefore chose the "Vayu Marg" for my internet.I am looking for some views on my brilliant? idea

I guess only Airtel does that digging work . Others take the easier route .going the aerial way...and had you applied for a dataone connection there wouldnt have been any wiring work ...heheh

"..... dataone connection there wouldnt have been any wiring work ...heheh"Thanks abdulrahman004. BTW did i see you wink wickedly 😉 or was it just my imagination??!

Hi,My phone arrived last night and after batlling valiantly with their installation cd for over two hours, i got to download a 12MB file in about 20 minutes, at One past midnight. the phone display showed a RX rate varying between 164 and 86 ( sorry units not mentioned) while my firefox download window hovered around 8-10 KB per second. Could you bring me up-to-date with the math? Needless to say, i continue to be a newbie.thanks

Originally posted by abdulrahman004@Jun 19 2005, 10:43 PM
I guess only Airtel does that digging work . Others take the easier route .going the aerial way...and had you applied for a dataone connection there wouldnt have been any wiring work ...heheh
[snapback]13240[/snapback]
[/quote]

i think we are still far away from a situation where wired phone technology is obselete. 🙂 and digging helps. BSNL lines fails in rainy season inspite of the fact that they have also started laying the underground network of cables... airtel has been ultra reliable.

oldtimer and newbie?? 😉 nice combination... :lol:anyhow, the unit most probably there is "kbps"...also, just check the "baud rate" set in ur phone...by default it is 115,200...which comes out to be 112.5 kbps...so that variation is acceptable, i think...

It all goes to show that with sufficient patience, you can teach an old dog new tricks 🙂
Thanks for the math...

And BTW this msgsrv32 is a nightmare..after i installed this phone, i have had to kill this task (win98 se) to get my dialer to connect. every time i booted afresh. After killing this, Yahoo messenger(and god knows what else) just doesn't start!
"msgsrv32(not responding)" ...Phew! :blink:

i am told that using HijackThis could help log this problem.. could anyone help?

msgsrv32 - msgsrv32.exe - Process InformationProcess File: msgsrv32 or msgsrv32.exeProcess Name: Windows Message Server Description:msgsrv32.exe is a process which is initiated by Microsoft Windows 9x and ME only. It acts as a 32 bit message server and will never appear in the Windows task list unless there is a problem with it. At any other time it should be left enabled.Author: Microsoft Corp.Part Of: Microsoft Windows 9x suitesSystem Process: YesBackground Process: YesUses Network: NoHardware Related: NoCommon Errors: N/A Memory Usage: N/ASecurity Risk (0-5): 0Spyware: NoAdware: NoVirus: NoTrojan: Noso i don't think it should create any probs...though u sure can remove it from the startup using HijackThis...

Thanks for fishing out the the info for me, coolbuddy_79. It is pretty reassuring that it isnt a virus of some kind. 🙂 However, while removing msgsvr32 from taskmanager allows me to connect to the internet, other things like the "save" dialog box for notepad and the ypager login window malfunction. It appears to be a necessary service but i do not know what other process is causing it the problems. :blink:

hello friends.. Thanks for all the support i got some good directions during my rough patch. I finally succeeded in reinstalling my os on a blank HDD and reinstalled my phone. It is working quite well now. I have touched peak dowload speeds of around 10KBPS . the RX display window shows around 160kbps. I got an 18mb file down in under 35 minutes, just before midnight.thanks.. I got the right directions to move in and a lot of inspiration.will keep in touch.

Are you on some unlimited plan, I had tried the woreless and it was fast, however the 40paise/minute wasn't digestable. Are there any unlimited usage plans?

Originally posted by Tushar@Jun 28 2005, 02:15 PM
Are you on some unlimited plan, I had tried the woreless and it was fast, however the 40paise/minute wasn't digestable. Are there any unlimited usage plans?
[snapback]14003[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah there are some good unlimited plans..but the choice really depends on our usage habits. For web browsing, i admit the 40p/min isn't a good idea, because we spend more time reading the pages than getting data. This way we end up paying for the idle minutes. It is good if you have some heavy downloading to be done, say once or twice a day, using the entire available bandwidth, or maybe mails using a pop client- a few minutes on and off.
The unlimited plans with a 250M download limit are (I believe), really a luxury because you get stuck with a large bill, and have no way of cutting costs. So the best way around is to use it as much as possible. Most of us aren't 24X7 net junkies and so this wouldn't work out. I would say that over a thousand five hundred rupees worth of internet time per month needs serious looking into.. unless i am a pro and i earn my livelihood on this. Of course i am addressing the perceptions of an average, salaried Indian. E&OE

Data rate is very fluctuating actually but you easily get 10 kBps on the 112.5kbps modem.BTW my usage for when I had disconnected Sify was like 1500 minutes for one month, I was shocked so I shifted back :lol:How much is the 250mb/month connection for. Please list prices for all you know

Status
Not open for further replies.