• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,138
Status
Not open for further replies.

raj2332

ISP
tata/vsnl
Hi Guys, Recently made the blunder of subscribing to a tata indicom broadband supposedly roaming account. That means I should be able to connect using a dial up. But I cant and it been a month since i've been complaining🙁. I really need this because I travel a lot. What should I do? Anyone else facing a similar problem ?

Come on guys . 44 views and not a single piece of advise. Help me out will you. 🙁

I'm sorry but I don't understand how that works. If you have a broadband account you should be able to connect only through a broadband cable. How and where can you dialup from? A BSNL line? A Tata Line? If your job requires constant travel you should really look at a Data Card from Reliance/Airtel as the best option, or connectivity through an EDGE enabled phone, or get a Blackberry! I don't think providers like Indicom are really equipped to give you reliable on-the-go connectivity. Whereas the options I mentioned above are tailored to that.

Yes , TI does offer that facility and that was precisely the reason I opted for it. I am reproducing from their FAQ's below

Q1. Can a Tata Indicom Broadband subscriber avail Dial up services on the same account?

Ans.: Yes. Tata Indicom Broadband brings you the unique flexibility that allows you Dial-up access on the same broadband account.

Since I use it mainly for email purposes and to keep in touch with my office it makes more economic sense to use a dial up from remote locations. Of course I do have a web enabled phone but the dial up beats the hell out of all other options costwise since you have to dial a local number to connect.

Yes you can connect using a BSNL/MTNL/Tata or any other line having that facility.

Well that was something new I learnt! As you will see from many threads in this forum, most of us have so many problems even with basic Indicom service. So I am not surprised that they have failed to deliver a roaming service. I presume you have badgered cust service adequately through mail and phone calls.

I had posted some links in another thread

https://broadband.forum/tata-indicom-broadband/11181-tata-indicom-broadband-bangalore/

Contact whichever of these seems relevant with a full case history of your complaint and see if it helps! Good luck!

Of course I do have a web enabled phone but the dial up beats the hell out of all other options costwise since you have to dial a local number to connect.

Now a days, MTNL charges Rs 399 for unlimited GPRS. With TI romaing you will spend that much in 14 hours (~20 Rs per hour for local calls + 8 RS per hour for TI charges). MTNL does not charge any roaming cost for GPRS.

Thanks for the feed back meaculpa and netfreak and you know what my account's back to life I mean roaming et all :yahoo:. I dont know what did it. Thanks for the info on mtnl netfreak , I will surely check out how it works out for my needs.

Yes , TI does offer that facility and that was precisely the reason I opted for it. I am reproducing from their FAQ's below

Q1. Can a Tata Indicom Broadband subscriber avail Dial up services on the same account?

Ans.: Yes. Tata Indicom Broadband brings you the unique flexibility that allows you Dial-up access on the same broadband account.

Since I use it mainly for email purposes and to keep in touch with my office it makes more economic sense to use a dial up from remote locations. Of course I do have a web enabled phone but the dial up beats the hell out of all other options costwise since you have to dial a local number to connect.

Yes you can connect using a BSNL/MTNL/Tata or any other line having that facility.

Oooohhh....and you fell for it? 😛

Thats why TATA is still in business 🙂

Dude, do you know the meaning of this roaming account? Suppose you're in bombay and you dial a local number to connect to TATA. Now you decide to move to Chandigarh. And from there you wanna use your "roaming" account. So you call up the SAME, Bombay number to connect to them. You know what the cost will be? It will be equal to the cost of calling up from Chandigarh to Mumbai which is pretty hefty plus whatever per hour charge TATA levies on you! Hahaha....

Now you decide to move to Chandigarh...So you call up the SAME, Bombay number to connect to them. You know what the cost...

That's the point of the roaming account, it DOES NOT dial long distance. I used Earthlink's dialup extensively during 97 - 99.

If you use Earthlink's dialer, it used to autoamtically figure out that you are calling long distance and will retrieve local number as soon as it connects. Next call that it makes is going to be a local call (and will be new default).

So it'll dial long distance for a while right until it figures out the local dial up number? What happens if it can't figure it out? 😛

I used Earthlink as an example.In India, VSNL does not need even that step. That is because VSNL is a telecom company in addition to being an ISP.172266 IS a local number.And thats the number you dial to connect.So, NO LONG DISTANCE charges.

Net freak is right , TI has listed out numbers to dial up for all sectors of India . Kindly go thru their list. I am sure you will find one wherever you are. that does not however condone their poor service.

Status
Not open for further replies.