• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 6,970
Status
Not open for further replies.

arr

ISP
Hathway
Hi guys !!This is my first post and I signed up with this site mainly to ask this question... I am in pune and I am planning to take the tata's broadband connection... I am thinking of that 2Mbps/240Hrs/6Months plan!! :ashamed: How good is it? Is the p2p softwares like limewire and bit torrents are allowed in it ?? ( i use them mainly)What is the max and min download speed I can get ??:huh: Plz help... Have to signup for their service only after receiving a reply from you people...

Ask if they are providing DSL/ADSL connection. DSL from TATA is pretty good. If ther are trying to sell a cable net connection then DO NOT buy that.

remember with tata-vsnl ur complaints in anycase wudnt be solved for 2-3days or may be week/months as per others in this forum and u will simply keep on calling.ohhhhh and six months? its better to tie urself with rope for six months than to tie with tata-vsnl.240hrs?!! LOL. ur net wont work but ur time will be calculated. if u accept that then tata wud be best.

Please can anyone give me a valuable response ?? 😕

I am seeing varied response here... Problems with connectivity and down time might be there with all service providers.... Dont dump anyone because of that...

main question : will p2p softwares like limewire run properly or not ??

Yes downtime and connectivity issues will be there with any provider. But with Cable based providers frequency of such issues is going to be much higher.However, if TATA has landline phones in your area and gives you a DSL/ADSL based connection it is going to be quite stable and is among the best ISP options.

P2P software will work only u get public ip. or tata supports UPnP. and i wud suggest .. if u have to go with tata. take 1 month trial and if possible go for postpaid. so if they give bad service u may not pay them at all.

... take 1 month trial and if possible go for postpaid. so if they give bad service u may not pay them at all.

:hysterical: Thats a cool idea.... but they are asking for a 1000 rs non-refundable deposit ?? they say, if u take up 6 months plan, u dont have to pay that 1000 ?? :ashamed: :ashamed:

Hi guys !!
This is my first post and I signed up with this site mainly to ask this question... I am in pune and I am planning to take the tata's broadband connection... I am thinking of that 2Mbps/240Hrs/6Months plan!!
How good is it?

I have been using a TataIndicom 256 kbps unlimited connection for a while now. There are short outages from time to time, but these are usually restored pretty quick. Over the past few months it has got a lot better than it used to be. Tata has disabled credit card payments, and instead we now have an agent who comes home to accept payments. While not being able to pay by credit card is a bit of a pain in the behind, fortunately it has been offset by the fact that service complaints are now made to the agent rather than to the inept Tata tech support team, and usually get resolved pretty rapidly.

Is the p2p softwares like limewire and bit torrents are allowed in it ?? ( i use them mainly)

I haven't used any P2P software since the heydays of Napster which was over 5-6 years ago (all downloads of which have long since been deleted !), so I can't really comment on this. However, I feel compelled to point out that other than a few instances of downloading large open source projects like Linux distros, or specialized apps like Skype, most P2P activity tends to be exchanging media or software which is illegal, and should not be condoned. It is only a matter of time before the MPAA, RIAA, and BSA people come after you.

most P2P activity tends to be exchanging media or software which is illegal, and should not be condoned. It is only a matter of time before the MPAA, RIAA, and BSA people come after you.

Is there is such possibility in india also ??? 🙁 🙁

Is there is such possibility in india also ??? 🙁 🙁

As they move towards improved compliance with WTO regulations, India along with countries like China, Brazil, and Russia are being severely pressured into enforcing intellectual property and copyright laws. I have no doubt that the infrastructure to monitor 'what is being downloaded from where' has been in place for a while now (ostensibly in the name of national security and law enforcement); it's only a matter of time before the same infrastructure is used to track down people who are downloading copyrighted materials, and they will certainly be made examples of (based on the misguided belief that this serves as an effective long term deterrent of piracy - but I am digressing). It's happened in the US and Western Europe time and again, and it will happen in India sooner rather than later.

I think the more important thing to realize is that piracy is no different than stealing a physical object. We shouldn't be doing it - not because of the potential consequences, but because it is fundamentally wrong. I don't think most of us would be so blase' about stealing a car for example (if we are, then we have far more serious problems !!). Every time someone pirates a piece of software, or music, or a movie, we are actually stealing from the people who have strived to create this, and ultimately dis-incentivizing (I think I made up that word) their creativity. Its a sad and vicious cycle - think about it! Would you want someone to steal and enjoy something you have worked for years to create while you receive absolutely nothing for your work?

You must be from Entertainment industry!!!In India Piracy that happens in every town in terms of 50 Rs per CD (irrespective of content) is much migger threat then whatever happens on net. PPL (Equivalent of RIAA in India) has been trying to do fight that for ages.Hopefully there is light at the end of tunnel. This seems be be in from of realistically priced DVDs and CDs by T-Series / Moser Bear (Even cheaper then Pirated ones 🙂 )

You must be from Entertainment industry!!!

Not even remotely. In fact I think the RIAA and the MPAA are a huge cartel, and I can't decide who the bigger villain is, them or the pirates. However, it is inevitably the artists who get screwed both ways.

In India Piracy that happens in every town in terms of 50 Rs per CD (irrespective of content) is much migger threat then whatever happens on net.
True, but that doesn't justify or in any way lessen the evil of digital piracy via the net. Piracy will continue to happen - I understand that. There will always be people who want to 'take more than they can give'. Its not these people that care about what I am writing. However, there is another group of people who simply don't realize that what they are doing is no different from stealing, and who might stop to think if they realized. It is those people who this little rant is addressed at.

Hopefully there is light at the end of tunnel. This seems be be in from of realistically priced DVDs and CDs by T-Series / Moser Bear (Even cheaper then Pirated ones 🙂 )
Yes, thats the only strategy that works in every case. Economic incentive to beat the pirates at their own game.

Status
Not open for further replies.