• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 7,004
Status
Not open for further replies.

cemohamed

ISP
Tata Indicomm
I got high speed internet connection from Tata Indicom for my laptop. It uses BILLION ADSL Router and it has only one out port (Ethernet). Now i want to share this to my Desktop. I also have 'beetel ADSL2 Modem' which has both Ethernet and USB ports. With this is it possible to achieve sharing ?.

Dear FriendYou cannot connect (beetel ADSL2 Modem) USB to Laptop and ethernet to other computer simultaneously.You need get a router to connect both at a timeBuy a Wireless router with modem,so that you can connect laptop and other computer at the same timeYou can look for routers (with inbuilt modem) at Ebay,many more available in local marketBetter get a Netgear or Linkys...Iam using Netgear, quite goodregardsram

D-Link has a model in the market with wi-fi, dialer, router, switch for around 4000 bucks. Another solution is to buy a Linksys wrt54g which would connect to the modem and would provide connectivity to laptop and desktop.

Dear Friend

You cannot connect (beetel ADSL2 Modem) USB to Laptop and ethernet to other computer simultaneously.

Not true, you can use both the ports simultaneously. All you need is for the Modem to be in PPPoE mode. The net will work on both the PC and laptop.

Not true, you can use both the ports simultaneously. All you need is for the Modem to be in PPPoE mode. The net will work on both the PC and laptop.

Karan, If so, how to connect? Please do reply.

https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataone-broadband/17927-1-connection-2-pcs/https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataone-broadband/17927-1-connection-2-pcs/
Karan is right. Connect LAN to Laptop and USB to Desktop.
But using both at the same time by two different persons , I am not sure.
see the BSNL broadband forum for recent postings by me/others. .
You have to load the usb drivers for XP. in your computer first. Then connect the modem. Xp will detect the device and usual set up will continue.If OS is XP home or Pro Sp2 usb drivers may be rejected as unsigned, and your computer will crash/freeze.

TRY this:
From the splitter ADSL port connect a two way telephone socket.
Connect one RJ11 to Billion Modem to laptop.
Connect another Rj11 to Beetel. to desktop.
Select assign Automatic Ip/DNS both in Laptop and desktop.
Switch on ONE modem/computer at a time.Switch off the other set up .
If working fine try both together.
PS:
I am not responsible !( read EULA!) if the idea does not work, and you face some problem/s in your setup.
Any other Seniors/Experts: Scotch/shoot down , this immediately if not possible.

1003 PM UPDATE : wont work ! Anybody interested may try.
Update 0828 31/10
Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Karan, If so, how to connect? Please do reply.

Do you dial your connection from within XP or just surf the net the moment the modem syncs? If it is the first then you will need to change the WAN settings in the modem from bridged to PPPoE, if it is the latter then just do as i suggested before, it should work no problems.

Well in Blore i was using airtel & had used Beetle 220BX with both PC & Laptop using it's Lan & USB ports & the net was working fine on both the systems simultaneously.It was on PPPoE with modem doing the dialup. The IP should be in same subnet but different for PC & Lan.Alternative : If u just want net then u could also set it up as modem to PC/Lap via USB & then from 1st PC/Laptop to 2nd PC/Laptop via Lan card using direct connection. Then install any small proxy server on 1st PC ( many are tiny & free) & use that proxy on 2nd PC for surfing the net.

Well in Blore i was using airtel & had used Beetle 220BX with both PC & Laptop using it's Lan & USB ports & the net was working fine on both the systems simultaneously.
It was on PPPoE with modem doing the dialup. The IP should be in same subnet but different for PC & Lan.

Alternative : If u just want net then u could also set it up as modem to PC/Lap via USB & then from 1st PC/Laptop to 2nd PC/Laptop via Lan card using direct connection. Then install any small proxy server on 1st PC ( many are tiny & free) & use that proxy on 2nd PC for surfing the net.

First paragraph Ok.
Second Para : 1. Modem USB to Desktop.
2.Direct connection from Computer 1 ( Desktop)to Computer 2 (laptop).
Use a Rj45 cable. ( use the ethernet ports).
3.Setting up proxy in Desktop .Please expand. thanks.
4. File sharing : will it be possible ?

First paragraph Ok.
Second Para : 1. Modem USB to Desktop.
2.Direct connection from Computer 1 ( Desktop)to Computer 2 (laptop).
Use a Rj45 cable. ( use the ethernet ports).
3.Setting up proxy in Desktop .Please expand. thanks.
4. File sharing : will it be possible ?

Point 3 : Either can use Internet connection sharing(i didn't) instead installed a proxy s/w on desktop. Try googling CC Proxy or Proxy+ or Squid for windows. Proxy+ i found to be very good with tiny memory footprint.

Point 4 : File Sharing : 100% possible. bec. u have ip's of both in same domain. It's like normal network sharing. Or if u r paranoid & don't want to share then can transfer files over netmeeting or Hyper terminal.

That way you need first pc on all the time to get internet on second one via proxy . Best would to let router dial in via pppoe and connect both systems via ethernet and usb ( dhcp on the modem ) .

yep that's right.. that's why i said that using both ports simultaneously on 2 PC's worked for me.. but if u face any prob then this was another alternative.. that i had also tested bec. sometimes that Beetle 200Bx won't work for both PC's simultaneously.. perhaps firmware issue ? But as long as it worked it was fine for me. It's like holding your ears with hands over ur head.:redface:Since both are connected via Wire, they will be pretty close by 1-2Meters only. The Lan port is always preferred over USB anyways & if only 1 PC is to use net better use LAN port over USB.hey.. just a thought came.. the alternative method is good if u want bandwidth between the two PC's eg. Playing games / file transfer over network , because min conn will be 10/100/1000 MBps depending on Lan card, besides the fastest internet speed in india is only 2Mbps now which can easily be handled by 12Mbps conn. of USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.