• Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 8,470
Status
Not open for further replies.

yohu123

The Immortal One
ISP
MTNL Triband 849NU (2048 down/512 up)
Hi,I have a Linksys WAG200G wireless gateway setup on my desktop pc (windows xp pro sp3) and currently have mtnl triband adsl2+ internet connectivity.now i have borrowed a friend's tata indicom plug2surf wireless modem.im not interested in the speed but rather interested in the possibility of sharing this connection with other wireless devices.for e.g. i disconnected my mtnl connection from the router/gateway (by unplugging the telephone line) thereby losing internet connectivity but still maintaining a lan connection with the pc via the wag200g gateway and thus also a wireless network.now if i connect the plug2surf modem to my pc, my pc has internet connectivity but how do i share this with the wag200g router?i enabled sharing of the plug2surf network connection (sxc-1080) to share it with the local area connection on the pc but that didnt provide me a network connectivity on my laptop via wifi.i do understand that sharing this already slow connection will give me even more slower speeds but if this works, then i can opt for tata photon+ which is even faster than triband and less hassle/installation.i have setup a static ip addr and default gateway for my desktop and laptop.so can someone plz help me share the plug2surf's wireless modem net connectivity with the wireless network of the wag200g router?thanx, in advance.

Hi,

Greetings from Tata Indicom!

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you had to go through because of us. We would earnestly request you to give us a chance to rectify our issues and serve you better.

To be able to do so, can I request you for a number or an e-mail Id that we can get in touch with you on?

Should you require any further assistance please mail us at Customer.care@tatatel.co.in

Thanking you,

Customer Care – Tata Indicom

Interesting to see more and more companies trying to support their users ob forums. Way to Go IBF!

hahah. do not be too optimistic. i consider these posts to be from social media brand managers.

hahah. do not be too optimistic. i consider these posts to be from social media brand managers.

i agree, i didnt get a single email or call from the tata representatives.
it was just propaganda to show they care.
i hope anyone from IBF can help so i ask u guys if u know a way to share the tata or any usb modem internet plugged to a non-wifi PC with wifi devices like laptops.
the pc is connected via rj45 network cable to a wag200g adsl gateway/wifi router which establishes a local LAN in my house.
i just need to know a way in making the router understand that the pc connected to it via lan is internet ready and so to share this internet with the remaining devices connected in the same local LAN network.
my setup is explained in detail in the 1st post.
thanx, in advance

@y2s: that means, i have to now buy a separate router for using photon+ or plug2surf?cant i just use my existing wag200g adsl gateway.the point is sharing the net with the lan network, just like any other internet capable device.

I highly doubt such a configuration,

I may have a solution

if all your pc's run Win Vista/7 then get wireless for your desktops and create an ad-hoc network with one of your computers connected, May just work, try with two laptops at first

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I believe that tata sells a photon+ wifi router

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Tata Photon+ Mobile Broadband Router

@y2s: ok so an ad-hoc network only works between two or more wireless devices. one becomes the access point and the rest connect to this access point device, right?but why do all the devices need to run the same version of windows or even the same os?cant one be running 7, another xp and a third mac osx?since all the non-net enabled devices have to do is connect to an AP.although this cancels out desktop pcs (unless u install a wifi card in it), atleast this is a start.so if i establish an ad-hoc network between two laptops, the one that doesnt have any internet access can actually share the net available on the 2nd laptop running photon+ ?

You need win7/vista to create the ad hoc access point effortlessly, you can then connect everything else to it, be it a mac or a ps3

I am not sure if this works but in theory it should, therefore i would suggest, you take two laptops, connect one to photon+ and then create an ad hoc access point on that laptop, after that connect laptop no2 and see if you get internet,

If you do, great. If not, we will try and figure something else out

The only downside I see is that your wifi range would be significantly reduced

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Here is an ebay link for what u need
http://cgi.ebay.in/3G-EVDO-Wifi-N-Router-Printer-Server-BSNL-Relaince_W0QQitemZ110512455564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_203?hash=item19bb0e3f8c

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

This might help, although I dont think this method would work

How to Build a Network Using a Cross-Over Cable | Hardware Secrets

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

You need to do this as well

To enable the Internet Connection Sharing on the host, just click the right mouse button on My Network Places on the desktop and choose Properties from the menu. Click the right mouse button on your connection icon and select Properties. Then, click on the Advanced tab and check Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection and the other two boxes.

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

The Ad hoc method does work, Just confirmed it

interesting that adhoc works.. i did try it once before between 2 xps with wifi .. no luck must have done sumthin wrong file transfer worked but no internet ... i did set up and adhoc network between an oj 7410 HP printer and my notebook.. so o/s is not a limitation..

k i tried the adhoc network between two xp pro sp3 laptops. the adhoc network works in the sense that it recognizes the AP created on the laptop to which the tata indicom modem is connected (the host). but the client laptop isnt able to utilize the net connectivity of the host laptop coz it cant open any websites or logon to any messengers.is there any additional ip addr/settings i need to configure in order to access the host laptop's internet?

Dd you do thisTo enable the Internet Connection Sharing on the host, just click the right mouse button on My Network Places on the desktop and choose Properties from the menu. Click the right mouse button on your connection icon and select Properties. Then, click on the Advanced tab and check Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection and the other two boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.