TATA Indicom Broadband planning WiMAX rollout!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter netfreak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 23,679
Status
Not open for further replies.
dunno just guessing. :ashamed:

That got me thinking.. rain does not affect GSM/CDMA (AFAIK) so maybe it wont affect WiMax either.

@netfreak, gsm/cdma carries voice which is like ultra-low bandwidth... when you are at 256kbps and above, rain and line-of-sight obstacles are a problem

well so that means we shud atleast get 128kbps even with rain right? or it doesnt work that way?

Rain interferes with line of sight, so i would not be so confident about getting anything.

I believe the term is degraded 😛

I always wondered why Wimax did not really make that much of a splash in the US or elsewhere for that matter and i think i know.

VSNL plans to install an aerial on the top of the building running a cat5 down to your PC. The reason is better reception. When you live in a city with lots of obstacles to line of sight the higher you place the aerial the better. There is only so high you can build towers anyway. Well if they are going to do that, then to the customer it does not look any different to wired connectoin, therrfore it does not make much of a difference and cant really offer anything over the price of a wired connection they are getting anyway.

Wimax does have potential in the country where you dont have too many obstacles to line of sight, but then there are not really that many customers that would pay for such a service so its not really helpful to the bottom line.

But in a place like India which does not really have that much of a wired infrastructure to being with anyway, there may be some promise. Waiting to hear experiences, if they have an aerial on the building then i expect it should be decent. However the wimax card in your laptop and expecting internet to work whereever you happen to be in the city might offer a more 'mixed' eperience.

this vsnl.wimax guy is a reseller.Do the board rules allow advt's like this ?

@netfreak, gsm/cdma carries voice which is like ultra-low bandwidth... when you are at 256kbps and above, rain and line-of-sight obstacles are a problem

That sounds right. Lets see how it behaves once we get rains here.

i've seen people's DTH service also getting affected during the rains, i wonder if wimax frequencies are also affected by it... it will be its achilles' heel then

I always wondered why Wimax did not really make that much of a splash in the US or elsewhere for that matter and i think i know.

One reason could be competing technologies. Used a card from Verizon for a few weeks last year. It used to give 700 kbps (and advertised as 2 mbps i think). Not sure what tech it used (might be EVDO)

We don't have such technologies yet.

i've seen people's DTH service also getting affected during the rains, i wonder if wimax frequencies are also affected by it... it will be its achilles' heel then

DTH is a different story. Signals get lost in thick clouds (due to poor visibility i guess 😉 )

One reason could be competing technologies. Used a card from Verizon for a few weeks last year. It used to give 700 kbps (and advertised as 2 mbps i think). Not sure what tech it used (might be EVDO)

We don't have such technologies yet.

Sure, and this is prolly more mobile than Wimax, hence no need for it.

I have been using TATA Indicom for last few months. Was raising at least 10 complaints every week. Raised this thing in every Blog/Forum/Mailgroup I could.

Finally someone higher up at TATA took notice and sent an actual network engineer to my place. That guy manages a TI network in large part of Mumbai.
He was frank in saying that they can't help much as long as last mile is not proper.

But promised to include my connection in WiMax pilot... so things should improve soon. As per him it should be released to public by Diwali.

As per him things are almost ready on technical side, they are sorting out things with govt/regulators etc.

I donno if u r still hanging to TATA Indicom broadband, but change to Wimax only at ur own peril.
Last week I got my connection to their Wimax,
Believe me, I'm spending at least half and hour a day calling them.

and what more I paid for 3 months at a time....so that I can get free installation, Now thinking that with the amount of money I spend on calling their call centres I can afford a new local connection.

I called atleast 20 times in the last 1 week and didn't get a single call from them about the status.

regards,
Sunil Kumar Yasa

Shout on every web forum / blog / review site that you can.That worked for me.. (it got attention of higher ups). For last 3 months, TATA Indicom has been excellent. Hope that continues till MTNL activates Triband in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.