• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 5,278
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogo

ISP
airtel
Hi guys.I have been an airtel user for over half a decade now.Their fair usage policy has finally broken my patience. My housing area got fiber to the home recently. The service provider is tata for the same. They are offering connection with No FAIR USAGE POLICY. I would gladly make the switch but I need to know about the ping tata geta. I am living in Delhi and am into a lot of online gaming. Primarily counter strike. If there is a major difference in the ping of tata and airtel I wontbe able to abandon airtel. Can you guys please llet me know ehat kind of ping do you get on tata? Does it being a fiber opic connection affect the latency in any way? Thanks in advance

1. Fiber is (generally speaking) awesome - on the assumption it's built and managed correctly. Latency can be MUCH better than any form of DSL - where you'd get 30-40ms to a local server on DSL, you'd get

They are giving 2 mbps for 1375 with unlimited downloading. 975 for 1 MBPS and 3k for 3 mbps. I don't really know the difference between fiber to home and building. But the people who set the connection up call it fibre to the home.I play CS strictly on indian servers. I wont mind getting any ping on a sg server. How is tatas performance with respect to indian cs servers?

I would like to bite the bullet and say that and FTTB is almost close (though definitely not the same) to an FTTH, provided the internal wiring of the building has been done well. I think some companies (outside India) use this combination (FTTB + Ethernet) to provide significantly enhanced speeds.

Go ahead if you're getting fibre. There will be a huge difference in your pings, bet it Indian CS servers or SG servers. Even I play on them alot but there's no fibre available here... so go ahead! :Boy Thumb Up:

Is it really TTSL Broadband??:disturbed:
They are giving 2 mbps for 1375 with unlimited downloading. 975 for 1 MBPS and 3k for 3 mbps. I don't really know the difference between fiber to home and building. But the people who set the connection up call it fibre to the home.

I play CS strictly on indian servers. I wont mind getting any ping on a sg server. How is tatas performance with respect to indian cs servers?

They are giving 2 mbps for 1375 with unlimited downloading. 975 for 1 MBPS and 3k for 3 mbps. I don't really know the difference between fiber to home and building. But the people who set the connection up call it fibre to the home.

I play CS strictly on indian servers. I wont mind getting any ping on a sg server. How is tatas performance with respect to indian cs servers?

It probably depends on the Indian CS server's connectivity more than Tata, and who they buy their bandwidth from. If you give me an IP address of one or more servers I can try and estimate what your experience will be like (assuming everything else is equal) based on their connectivity.

I would like to bite the bullet and say that and FTTB is almost close (though definitely not the same) to an FTTH, provided the internal wiring of the building has been done well. I think some companies (outside India) use this combination (FTTB + Ethernet) to provide significantly enhanced speeds.

You're more or less correct, yes.

FTTH means you will get a modem (like an ADSL modem, but for fiber) in your house itself, and the only part between you and Tata that is copper is the cable from your computer to that modem. Speeds up to 1Gbits per device can be achieved on FTTH. There are a maximum of 31 other users on your network segment, meaning that 2.4Gbit/s of capacity is shared between a maximum of 32 subscribers (average bandwidth per subscriber ~78mbit/s).

FTTB means there is a large ethernet switch with a fiber uplink in your building (or sometimes the next building over) and up to ~90m of Ethernet cabling between you and that modem. This is usually nothing to worry about unless the cabling hasn't been done nicely and if they use unshielded cable this can negatively impact performance (especially if there are lots of other unshielded cables and/or electricity cables around). Most FTTB installations support up to 100mbit/s per subscriber and there is a maximum 31 other buildings connected to your network segment, but this is split again between users according to the switches in each building are (so, taking a 16-port average, that would be 32*16 subscribers sharing 2.4Gbit/s of capacity, which means an average bandwidth per subscriber of under 5mbit/s, however, this doesn't mean that they *can't* offer much higher-speed plans, because metrics suggest that not everyone will be using the network at the same time).

I do have a modem installed inside the flat. It's supposed to bring with itself a host of other features as well like IP TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.