• Thread starter Thread starter rsatbf
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5,152

rsatbf

Regular
ISP
BSNL
Since I am seriously compromised on FUP with BSNL and affordability of the BSNL plans, I was considering taking an additional connection 2Mbps for the night 2am-8am. Got the idea from someone else here. Was wondering if anyone has used it and how they schedule the downloads?
I have a timer plug, which I can make it turn on and off at 2:15 and off at 7:45am. So I can switch on the modem and router automatically. To this I should connect my NAS which should wake on lan and start downloading once the internet comes on. Only issue is my NAS has only one ethernet port and so if I need to use the second internet, then I need to figure out how the NAS can take IP from 2 routers between certain times...
Anyone done this successfully? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Ya, been there done that. The script was supposed to work fine. It indeed worked fine for a couple of months, but then one fine day it failed and I ended up receiving an inflated bill. Paid the inflated bill and cancelled that connection. My advice: stick with unlimited plans and use a plug computer to download.

I don't mean to use a script but this device.http://www.maplin.co.uk/7-day-plug-in-mechanical-timer-27346

i think we should wait so that bsnl can upgrade their plans that will be more better in my view...

I had that connection (650/550 for 1.5gb/2.5gb is it?). Used no hardware, just the software like uTorrent which if you put to schedule in option can start downloading @2:15 and stops at 7:45.
Never got big bill ever.

vj_0987 said:
i think we should wait so that bsnl can upgrade their plans that will be more better in my view...
They are upgrading their plans? when?

no what i want to say is let them upgrading their plans so that in less cost u will get more performance like i am using uld 800 i usally get 1.6 mbps of speed inspite of 1mbps so i think they are trying something new...now theycompletely changed their fibre plans and i know it will still not good as well so..all good things for those who.waits...thats what i can say

How about
1. a USB Wifi Adapter(or an additional NIC) for your NAS and two timer plugs
where your main router can wake NAS just before going down as say 1:55 and NAS will then obtain IP from a WIFI connection that become available as 2:05
or
2. A dd-wrt enables router that would enable you download in to a head less device (USB stick?) and a script running in your NAS to copy data from Network drive at regular intervals?

NU plans are too outdated. It was same even before I joined this forum.