• Views Views 5,962

xyx2000

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Taiwan Quake Damages Undersea Cables
The Star
Wednesday December 27, 2006

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A 7.1 richter earthquake in Taiwan causing major submarine APCN2 cable damage resulting in breakdown to TMnet Malaysia, Advantel, Cable & Wireless Global Network, Cable & Wireless HKT, China Telecom, China Unicom, Chunghwa Telecom, Concert, Global Network Services, Global One, Japan Telecom, KDD Corpe ration, Korea Telecom, KPN, Layer 2, MCI, WorldCom, Metromedia Giber Network Service, NTT Com, NCIC, OneLink Cable Network, PLDT, StarHub, SingTel, Taiwan Fixed Network, Teleglobe, Telstra and Williams Communications.

Local Internet access to overseas websites came to a crawl Wednesday, started at about 3.45am Wednesday, and warned users to expect congestion to and from overseas websites during peak hours and even total downtime.

According to Reuters AlertNet a total of six submarine cables were affected by the earthquake and the Total capacity lost due to the APCN2 S7 damage was estimated at around 7Gbps. Sample latency to the US was 922ms, Hong Kong 45ms, Japan 542ms, Taiwan 304ms, and Korea 1,000ms.

Malaysia maintains a Terminal Station at Segment T2, Kuantan, which is within Segment S2 and represented by TM Berhad. Under the APCN2 specifications, all Segment S are terminal stations equipped with critical terminal equipment, including Network Interface for STM-1, STM-4, STM-16 and STM-64 levels.

Critically, the APCN2 Agreement also provisions that all Segment S must maintain adequate inventory of related spare and standby units and components, which include but not limited to optical amplifiers, BUs (Branching Units), cable lengths, and terminal equipment.[/b]

My download speed has decreased by about 30% since yesterday, I read on another forum that its because of this earthquake, is anyone here experiencing any decrease in speeds?

my airtel connection sucks at speeds.

yes my speed also decrease from 12-13 kb/s to 7-9 kb/s in morning and at night from 25 to 18 kb/si contact customer care and they said that it will take 2-3 days to solve this problem.he also said that not only airtel but other isp r also operating at less speed.but i read on other forum at this prob will be resolved till 15 jan.. 🙁

I am on exatt in delhi anf for past three days we are not able to access any site .only indian sites can be accesed .i call them and they are saying it would take 2 weeks to get the problem solved

yes my speed also decrease from 12-13 kb/s to 7-9 kb/s in morning and at night from 25 to 18 kb/s[/b]
Same here 🙁

Repair of Taiwan quake-damaged cables soon

Taipei, Dec 28: Taiwan will next week start repairing earthquake-damaged undersea cables that have disrupted Internet and telephone services across Asia, the state-run Chunghwa Telecom said Thursday.

"Four cable ships left Japan, Singapore and the Philippines today," Chunghwa Telecom vice president Lin Jen-hung said at a press conference.
"They are expected to arrive next Tuesday and start repairing the undersea cables. The repair will take about two weeks," he said.
"From the time our service was interrupted until it is resumed, we will exempt our clients of fees," he said.

Lin said the service disruptions would cause a loss of 150 million Taiwan dollars (about $4.5 million) to the company.

A magnitude-6.7 undersea earthquake struck Taiwan's southern coast Tuesday, leaving two people dead and injuring at least 50.

The quake and its aftershocks damaged four of Chunghwa Telecom's six undersea cables, cutting off or slowing down not only Taiwan's - but also neighbouring countries' - voice, data and Internet connections with India, Europe and the US.

The telecommunications service in neighbouring countries was affected because a huge amount of it is re-routed by Taiwan's submarine optical cables.

Singapore telecommunications officials advised Internet users to expect slow traffic for at least a few days.

While thousands of home users and companies in the city-state were cut off from the Internet Wednesday, the problems began to ease later in the day when the telecommunications traffic was diverted to other cables unaffected by the quakes.[/b]

Speed dropped from 28-30 kB/s to 20-21 kB/s (day) and from 58-60 kB/s to 46-48 kB/s (nights). Please keep us updated on latest news regarding repair work.

Where do you test your speeds from? Where did you test your speed from to tell that they have dropped?

i am on exatt and cant access any site from us,europe and many other countries.only indian japan chinese sites can be accesed

QUOTE(Crazysah @ Dec 31 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]72499[/snapback]
Where do you test your speeds from? Where did you test your speed from to tell that they have dropped?[/b]

Have you heard of DUMeter? You can check your speeds at hxxp://speed.airtelbroadband.in/ ... Check Speed Link on the left of the page. Many more sites to do so too.

QUOTE(fisher @ Dec 31 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]72515[/snapback]
i am on exatt and cant access any site from us,europe and many other countries.only indian japan chinese sites can be accesed[/b]

This thread is for AIRTEL Broadband.