• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 7,592
Status
Not open for further replies.

tejasd

ISP
Dataone
I'm finally taking the plunge from Vodafone to Docomo. Many reasons make me do this. One is, that I've heard and seen that coverage is constantly improving in my city (Pune). There is 3G in my city and hence better sound quality and coverage through WCDMA. Great offers. Voicemail service. And a feel good factor of paying a 74% Indian company and a company not chargesheeted in the 2G Scam, rather than paying a 100% UK Company (Just announced yesterday). Also at this time comes news that NTT Docomo has invested another 800 Crore, which Tata will use to improve its existing network.Will let you know my experience.

Every operator has some drawbacks.No one is perfect.Better is to stick with the one which you have. 🙂

u r switching frm d best operator to d worst operator in pune city as coverage of vodafone is far more better dan tata docomo and with respect to 3G, vodafone 3G network is still under development in pune but still d speeds r awesome n better dan tata docomo

I really don't know about Pune but in Kolkata Vodafone is far more better than Docomo. Previously I used to have Airtel and Vodafone. After the launch of MNP, I ported my Airtel to Docomo. And nw I am really suffering. The voice clarity is very bad. Voice keeps on breaking in indoors. Gprs speed is dam slow. And the worst part is their customer service. Its horrible. Docomo keeps comming with many cheap & innovative plans but the service offered by them is still no way nearby Vodafone. Sent using Tapatalk

i had used vodafone way back when it was hutch. Then their rates were pretty high and now too what i hear from friends. but their service is really really good same as Airtel.networks like docomo, uninor have a problem that they have relatively high number of users who talk too much due to cheap tariffs,that degrades their services further. of course not applicable to 3G.

Lol, ur giving up on your service provider just because their company was est. abroad. You should consider selling your car, your telephone, disconnecting your Internet line as well. All of things owe some part of them to a foreign company. By the way you should realise that Indian companies try and cheat their subscriber more than foreign one's- just look at what Airtel is doing. Also NTT Docomo has a large hand in the tech. behind TD, I'm pretty sure they must have a tight leash on quality control.

I agree with Saurabh28, Aniruddha Joshi, piku99, devx101 and Raditz.

I'm finally taking the plunge from Vodafone to Docomo. Many reasons make me do this. One is, that I've heard and seen that coverage is constantly improving in my city

(Pune)

Vodafone has improved its network big time ever since they took over from Hutch. Yes, Tata Docomo has a benefit of free missed call alerts though. Think about it...they offer free missed call alerts because their network is pretty weak atleast here in Mumbai.

There is 3G in my city and hence better sound quality and coverage through WCDMA.

Vodafone, Idea and Tata Docomo have won licenses for the combined 3G circle of Maharashtra & Goa. However, Airtel, Vodafone and Idea will soon offer seamless 3G roaming, They also jointly own Indus Towers which is the largest Tower Company in the world. All 3 companies do not have 3G license in Orissa. So I feel they might tie up with other operators there.

Great offers. Voicemail service.

This is weird. All telecom companies offer voicemail service. So I wonder what you are referring to. By the way remember one thing while choosing an operator. Cheap tariffs do not necessarily mean being a great operator. Its only good from the competition from the point-of-view.

And a feel good factor of paying a 74% Indian company and a company not chargesheeted in the 2G Scam
Dont think you've been tracking news. By the way Ratan Tata and Radia would be questioned soon with regards to the 2G scam by the Joint Parliamentary Commitee or the JPC. The established operators such as Airtel and Vodafone have been less questioned compared to the Ambani's, Unitech Group. Companies like Tata, Reliance (through Swan and also by themselves), Unitech Wireless have all been named in the 2G scam.

rather than paying a 100% UK Company (Just announced yesterday)

Get your facts right. Vodafone will own 74% of equity once the deal concludes in November 2011. 1% might be offloaded to the public. The remaning 26% would be owned by Indian companies and individuals such as Analjit Singh.

What is so bad about company owned by an Indian or for that matter foreign?? For your information, many of the towers are created by Chinese equipment. Read this:

Businessworld : Print

Also at this time comes news that NTT Docomo has invested another 800 Crore, which Tata will use to improve its existing network.

Other operators such as Airtel, Vodafone, Idea have invested 1000s of crores, besides paying exorbitantly for 3G spectrum license. Docomo's 800 crore investment is too less from the capex point-of-view.

Anyway, weigh the pros and cons of each operator. No single operator is perfect! Get your facts right rather than being emotional while choosing an operator. Better to make an informed choice than a regrettable one.

Agreed with Avidwatcher, The network is poor, Call drops, voice breaking. This is docomo and they now failed to attract wid their offers. I had plans of shifting to docomo but friends gave a negative feedback so i dropped off. Aircel is far better than Docomo, I am waiting for vodafone to offer conference 🙁 sadly no conference in Prepaid in Ap.

Well, about Dropped calls, and bad coverage, I had bought a spare Docomo SIM to test it out, and surprisingly found voice quality at par / better than vodafone, at least where I stay. I did a signal test on my android and on EDGE, Docomo was giving me -55 dBm to -60 dBm (Lesser is better) whereas vodafone was shuttling between -87dBm to -95dBm. On UMTS/HSDPA, both are same at about -77dBm to -83 dBm. Some places over the city, their(Docomo) 2G network was not that great, but 3G network was at Par (naturally vodafone didn't have their 3G network in many places). However, a friend of mine, who uses Docomo, told me that he periodically receives messages from Docomo, that coverage has been improved in so and so area.

@Raditz - Some part, not complete! 😛 (Majority here is Indian. Majority in Vodafone is UK). And it is just part of the decision, not entirely based on it.

@AvidWatcher Docomo is still a new compay (comparitively). Call drops and low coverge is greatly mitigated when using 3G. Vodafone is a pretty old company, Docomo is fairly new, and they have increased their coverage quite well in the past few months! Wait for a while and it will be at par with Airtel/Vodafone/Idea. Also I'm on prepaid, so no operator offers me voicemail on prepaid.

Plus, I'm a student, so roaming isn't necessarily a problem, though I do want a reliable network in and around Pune.

Also, 3G data is pretty much just a dream, since no way will I be able to afford paying those exorbitant rates, which I'm sure vodafone will charge. I do use some 2G data, for WhatsApp messenger and the likes, and the cheapest option is Docomo, which cuts the cost of it by half (Their 48 for 1GB for 1 month pack).

In Mumbai I've heard Docomo network is pretty good, though according to AvidWatcher, I seem to have gotten my facts wrong.

Ratan Tata and Radia will be questioned, but Tata was an eligible company to apply for licensing 2G spectrum. Yesterday the first chargesheet was filed, and there is no mention of Tatas in it.

The news article is about ADAG, and I believe to the core, that Anil Ambani cannot handle anything. Their mobile service in Pune is PATHETIC. Customer care is CRUEL.

I'm not saying anything foreign is bad, I'm just saying if there is an Indian equivalent,which does the job, I would prefer that.

I've heard and seen that coverage is constantly improving in my city (Pune).
TATA DOCOMO's signal is very good in and around Pune (even in outskirts!). Source: Personal experience! 😀

Docomo is fairly new, and they have increased their coverage quite well in the past few months! Wait for a while and it will be at par with Airtel/Vodafone/Idea.

Well no matter how much they improve their coverage by installing more cell sites, they have to do it within their allocated spectrum. In Mumbai, I have seen no difference in the coverage whatsoever in the past 2 years.

The spectrum held by the older established operators are much higher. Unless they get more spectrum, the newer companies will struggle and they will continue to induce by offering cheaper tariffs. Good for competition though.

Last night number was ported to Docomo, as per their SMS, no issues there. Online recharge works. Coverage is good everywhere i have been so far. SMS delivery is not an issue (A friend of mine told me that it was a problem).And they gave me an amazing SMS pack!! 60 paise for 1st sms, 99 SMS free.Only problem as of now is voicemail activation which CC told me was because documents had not reached them and will be sorted out in 48 hours. About the limited spectrum thing, they get spectrum as their subscriber base grows. Thats the rule. And in pune spectrum is not an issue since there is 3G spectrum too.In mumbai and delhi also that will no longer be a problem since they will be using MTNL's spectrum for 3G.

Hello People...I have been having a real bad experience with the Tata Indicom network in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. Am thinking of porting to a GSM service provider now...Any tabs on who would be the best bet in Jamshedpur?

I know that one member devx101 , is from Jamshedpur... maybe he can answer your question

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

i had used vodafone way back when it was hutch. Then their rates were pretty high and now too what i hear from friends. but their service is really really good same as Airtel.

networks like docomo, uninor have a problem that they have relatively high number of users who talk too much due to cheap tariffs,that degrades their services further. of course not applicable to 3G.

Status
Not open for further replies.