Switching From Sify To Airtel

• Thread starter Thread starter Swap0
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 6,560

Swap0

Hi All,I am using (or suffering from) Sicfy for last 2/3 years. Now Airtel is offering its services in our area (Thane) and I am tempted to switch.I am thinking of going for their 128 Kbps unlimited pack. Could you guys please suggest if switching from Sify to Airtel is worthwhile.I would like some advice specifically on the following points:1. How is Airtel service, especially in Thane. I would like to hear from Sify switchers since they probably know what torture I have undergone with Sify. What is the downtime frequency?2. I read in this forum about speed throttling and fluctuations in speeds. Is this applicable in Thane (or Mumbai).3. Also is double speed at night available for the 600 bucks 128 kbps unlimited pack.4. Would I be getting a USB modem or a router? Do I have a choice here? The forums seem to suggest that beetel 220x is a better router. Is this true? I plan to use Azureus and Limewire most of the times. Can I get a choice of routers? The salesperson said they would be giving a D-Link router.5. Also does the router have an Ethernet as well as USB interface?6. Finally how is the login to the net? Is it through a dumb client like in Sicfy? I will be using Linux and Windoze. Are there any issues connecting while using Linux? Connecting to Sify using Linux is a pain.Lots of queries. But I hope you guys take the time out to respond.Thanks,Best Regards,

I have been using Sify for almost/more than 1 year. I have registered for Airtel too and plan to use them simultaneously. Sify for hub andairtel for net.The plan Airtel is offering me is:500 (security deposit)->waived off500 (installation charges)->waived offmonthly plan ->600 (128kbps) [1gb download limit /month]->50% for first 3 months (i.e 300 /- for first 3 months)They will be givin me the connection in 2 days.These 3 months are sufficient to judge how good the connection is. I have already informed them that my major concern is reliability, which is lacking in SIfy...

I am being offered 600 Rs 128 kbps unlimited plan.No discounts though. Free local calls to 3 numbers for 1st three months. Guess I will utilise that to the max 🙂Installation charges are waived but 500 bucks security deposit is applicable.How come they have 2 plans for 600 bucks (128 kbps) one with 1 GB limit and other without any limit?I guess I need to check out the plan again and try to get the security deposit waived. BTW they said no desposit for telephone instrument, but 500 bucks refundable deposit is applicable.Where are you from josephprashant?Sifyfan thats a general statement. Can u be specific as to why Sify is better. Have u tried Airtel?

QUOTE(sifyfan @ May 11 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]50940[/snapback]
sify is better i feel. 🤔
[/b]

It seem sifyFan is the employee of sify.
That is why he is blindly saying this again and again

i m not their employee or such.i like it bcz its cheapest for heavy use.

sify to airtel is a good choice but i dont understand why hav u opted for 600 bux plan with limit coz u cna get unilimited @ 699 with 128 kbps durin day and 256 @ nite 🙂

QUOTE(Swap0 @ May 11 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]50979[/snapback]
Request advice from senior members like Sushubh who have switched from Sify to Aritel.
[/b]

Ultravires, I am getting 600 Rs unlimited pack.Sorry. That is not what I meant. Its just that I was dissapointed that I hadn't got any reply to my specific queries. I knew that some ppl here like Sushubh had switched from Sify and was hoping to elicit a response from there.Speaking of my queries though, Nobody seems to have answered my specific queries yet.I would welcome responses from everyone.

There is no software for logging on to there service u can use linux if u wish.it depends on what modem u use ( router or just plain dsl modem). if u are not satified with a particular modem then ask them to give u a new one.There is no speed throtling on airtel networks.yes u would get the double speed at nite offer( its not applicable only in chandigarh)

despite the fact that i am getting like 10K speed on airtel. i would still prefer it over Sify any given day. airtel dudes, they fix net/tel problems in 4 working hours. sify? u wont be able to submit your complaints in 4 hours. i pay a lot more with airtel but its definitely worth it... especially when i dont have to worry abt my net connection when i turn on my PC. its the power department which is killing me.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ May 12 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]51070[/snapback]
especially when i dont have to worry abt my net connection when i turn on my PC.
[/b]

err... i thought you never switch it off 😛

well. power bills are killing me. unusual charges. i hate them.as for my comment. well, i dont have to worry if my net is even working when i logon to my logged off computer. u just know that it is working and you are logged on and the downloads are going on fine.as long as the power does not ruin it... and it usually does.