Switching from BSNL to Airtel (Chennai)

• Thread starter Thread starter destark
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 6,579
yeap. makes no sense why they have the better plans in only few circles. i guess they want to compete better against airtel. for me bsnl 2150 had much better features compared to airtel's discontinued 2250 plan. as of now, airtel has just the 80GB 4mbps plan in my area. now that i have disconnected my older connection. i really have no option when it comes to airtel.

I'd switch to BSNL 2150 if they offer 175GB @4mbps. It also has 250 free call value.What doesn't make even more sence is why Chennai is not included in Tamilnadu circle and why BSNL would provide better plans to towns like Pondicherry, Coimbatore, Madurai or Trichy while giving inferior plans to an urban centre like Chennai?Airtel has penetrated within Chennai very well. Ninety percent of the new establishments I see on news paper advertisements have an Airtel number.

yeah. this plan was the primary reason i was tempted to move away from airtel.mission accomplished really!

got lucky as i got them to change my line speeds to 8000kbps. aviral has the same issues as me as his line speeds are set at 3999. i am getting fluctuating speeds that sometimes go beyond 4mbps. but it is much better than before when i was getting 2.8-3.4mbps.

That's cool.

Thanks for all the replies. The smarbytes redirection is a major downer, I can't have them mucking around with my traffic. From what I understand, there's no way to turn it off.

I'm not sure if BSNL has increased the limit, but right after I posted that message, I was back (and continue to be) at 4mbps. I've decided to stick with BSNL for the time being till they upgrade their plans(unlikely) or another competent provider emerges(even more unlikely).
I take it you understand that this redirection happens only during the last 20% of the data cap usage.

lol. for people on 150GB plans, 20% means you face random redirects for the last 30GB of data. and from what i understand this would happen even when you go for smartbytes packages as long as you are still beyond 80% of your allocated data.it's 35GB for people on 175GB plans.

That's cool.

I take it you understand that this redirection happens only during the last 20% of the data cap usage.

Yes, I did get that. Does anyone know if this happens at a DNS level? If so does using an external dns provider get rid of this?

nope. no one has developed a work around. it is being done at their backend level from what i see.

I don't understand the purpose of being shown the smartbytes page during the period when I still have up to 20% high speed data left. Why would I need to buy more high speed data when I still have some left? It'd be better if they just redirect to the smartbytes page when I have exhausted all the high speed data. It's still not desirable but understandable.

smartbytes is not something designed to benefit the customer. it is designed to push the customer into buying more bandwidth.

on airtel you need to check feasibility in your area. i was told that you get the 4mbps and 8mbps only if you live within a km or so of their exchange, which was true for my previous address...

The exchange thing you have mentioned applies to Airtel or BSNL? If it applies to Airtel, do we have any way to find out how far is the airtel telephone exchange from your house? I tried googling this info. but could not find any!

It applies to Airtel in this context. Well, you ask them where the DSLAM is located near your place. Or apply for migration to a higher speed plan and see if it's feasible for you.