Survey of India requires aadhaar for access to maps

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 921
Website launched for government map download, but Aadhaar mandatory

The government today launched a dedicated website allowing the public the access to download 3,000 maps prepared by the Survey General of India (SGI) but made Aadhaar mandatory for the purpose. Using Aadhaar number, a person can download three maps every day from the portal (Nakshe) launched today. The SGI completes 250 years today. Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Science and Technology, said the motto behind making Aadhaar mandatory for using this service was to make it available “only to Indians”.
Aadhaar number is a proof of identity and not that of citizenship.

3 maps per day?? What logic is that?

And 250 years for SGI??

i suppose people can crowdsource and download all the maps and make it available through torrent or elsewhere while breaking god knows how many laws of this country.

until now even the government was required to pay for access to these maps as per the articles i read.

why does link say UK.gov.in??

For a moment I thought .. hey is it hosted in UK?!

Also whats so special / secret in these maps?? That is not already in Google? Why restrictions?

These are probably based on census data. Population density, caste, religion etc.

My dad also recently got confused on seeing a UK number plate here in Gurgaon. Uttarakhand causes a lot of confusion 😀

Can someone post a sample of what that site has to offer?

I am not giving away my Aadhar number to them 😀

Hope its allowed to share what u download from that site!