SuperSify: Alternative Sify Broadband Client

infernalproteus

The Goan
ISP
BSNL 512
Hello Peepal,

Introducing SuperSify v0.5 for Win32 systems. If you haven't guessed already - this is a standalone client allowing you to login to your Sify Broadband connection.

When it rains, it pours doesn't it ? Not really raining - becuase more Sify clients is a good thing.

SuperSify is currently a console program. It consumes a maximum of about 80KB of Physical Memory if you chose to keep your connection alive with the Heartbeat. Else it will start, log you in and terminate.

So, without further ado, here is the link. Everything you need should be over there. If it isn't; tell me 😀
SuperSify v0.5

Please use this thread for support, bugs, feature requests, etc.

A big thank you to Sushubh for hosting SuperSify. He's da man.

Keep it real,
IP

nice going proteus, but one word of advice, to stay out of legal troubles and otherwise all kinds of trouble, its best that your site doesn't piss anyone off. Trust me on this one, i know.Other wise nice going. I am kind of jealous for memory usage.

well as long as they do not release a EULA, the software would be as good as f**kable. this is what i @$$ume obviously. any legal dudes here?

If the login/logoff process is reduced to double clicking on a shortcut, windows scheduler can be used to automatically run those programs when needed. Even on system startup for unlimited (yeah right) packages.

Hmm....Suppose my neighbour has a 128 kpbs line. Since we are connected to the same hub, I can steal his username/p@$$word. I can radomly pick a free IP address. Macaddress is then the only thing that can be used to track back to my computer. So if I use the -m option (and be careful to login only when the neighbour is not around), am I really safe ?

Why would you want to do that? You want 128 kbps speeds, then pay for it :-|

Terrific work there! So now we have 3 alternate clients -A console based clientA GUI Windows clientA console linux clientGreat work by all the three authors!BTW, does this client require windows to work (Can it be run in pure DOS mode?)

i think it still needs the sify client installed. 😕 or maybe i am wrong...

Wow. So much activity in less than 12 hours - I'm @$$uming the client is actually working for you guys, since nobody mentioned that part 😉.

Bhaskar,
I really appreciate your support. You have a point about pissing people off - where do you feel I overstepped the line ? "Note To Sify"? I think I redeemed myself by the end of the note - but perhaps not, what do you think guys? Should I temper that note down further?
Re: Memory usage - well, you can't really feel jealous, becuase you used VB - so, it isn't your problem / fault - it's the language so to speak. I'm sure the memory req would be comparable if you had used C++ (and no GUI)

anand,
Yup, you can create 2 different shortcuts for login and logout and use it with the scheduler. However, sometimes the login and logout processes could fail - maybe sify is unavailable for login / logout.;OR, you could have accidentally deleted the supersify.sid file - since there is no correct session id - the logout process could fail. Just make sure you look at the console for login/logout status.

Tintin,
There is a general misconcepton about faking a Mac address. If you read the SuperSify page - you will note that I mentioned that Sify does not really care about the Mac address you send. You don't even need to send anything or you can send bullsh*t.
But - this is a part of or login process. Remember that a TCP/IP socket conneciton is being established to actually send the login string. Also UDP datagrams are frequently sent for the Heartbeat. I'm no expert - but I think it should be easily possible to find out everything from your IP to your Mac Address over these connections. The Mac address that you specify is only used as part of the login String and does not change your actual connection properties.

Why do I have the option ? Becuase the mac address detector I have seems to be leaky - and takes the memory consumed up from 56KB to 80KB - you can specify an address and save those 24KB 😉

ujjwal,
Thanks for the compliment. No, unfortunately this is a Win32 console app and requires Windows Sockets - it won't work in DOS mode.

Sushubh,
AARGH. Does the word Standalone mean anything to you ? lol.
No - it does NOT require the Sify client to be installed to work. 🙂

Thanks again for the support everyone, keep 'em coming,
IP

Originally posted by Tintin@Jan 4 2005, 11:52 AM
Hmm....

Suppose my neighbour has a 128 kpbs line. Since we are connected to the same hub, I can steal his username/p@$$word.  I can radomly pick a free IP address.  Macaddress is then the only thing that can be used to track back to my computer. So if I use the -m option (and be careful to login only when the neighbour is not around), am I really safe ?
[snapback]3945[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not a good idea.. 🙂

I told our CTO about the hub sniffing problems sometime back...
http://krishnamoorthy.blogspot.com/2004/12...at-is-user.html

For the past two days I am seeing only broadcasts reaching my eth card...
Looks like they have replaced hub with switch...

No more fun 😉

Originally posted by ultra vires@Jan 4 2005, 02:41 PM
tintin plz take that discussion to backroom.
then only i wuld help.
[snapback]3958[/snapback]
[/quote]

make that private conversations 😛

Is there a command I can give supersify to just login/logout and close the window? I don't need heartbeat running. 'press any key to exit' gets annoying after a while..

anand,Sorry - I knew I forgot something. I put that keypress in there so that the console stays open and you can actually READ the status messages.What I forgot, was a switch to disable the key press. I'll put that in a day or two. Will wait for further features, fixes etc. You don't need the heartbeat - is that becuase you have called Sify up and disabled the hearbeat - or other reason? I'm curious becuase they didn't manage to disable my hearbeat (or they said they have, but it isn't becuase I need it to stay alive)Let me know if you have any further suggestions,IP.