• Thread starter Thread starter ghpk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 11,260

ghpk

Now Visible in NCR ;)
ISP
Airtel Broadband + 4G and Voda 4G
Recently 2 wireless broadband providers reached my area.
both have ultra expensive plans where they charge approx 1000/month for 512kbps unlimited.
Now apart from this fee they are asking 3000 as Non-refundable installation charges.
which includes, Setting up a Pole on rooftop with access point/antenna along PoE from which a LAN cable would run to my
laptop or desktop.
However I am not understanding, when my laptop is able to get their WI-FI signals, why should there be this Antenna etc
on my rooftop, Talked to the one who has 80% signal strength at my work desk already, but he says you cannot connect to our
network without access point setup on rooftop and lan cable running from it to laptop.
The Station he has setup is 200 mtrs by road and even closer when measured as Line of Sight, as its visible from my window.
my question is :-
1). Do i really need to have it installed ?? or he's taking me for a ride for that 3000
2). Can I manage to connect to such provider using my existing equipment which is
a).TP-Link 3G Router (MR 3420)which currently serves me as wi-fi and connects to internet thru USB Dongle.
b) A Old BSNL Nokia Siemens SL2_141 (can it be converted to access point which he's referring to ?)
c). Netgear WG111v3 USB Wireless Adapter, which I used on ancient laptop which didn't had WI-FI inbuilt.
d) Laptops, already able to get their SSID with signals from 75-80%
I am so fed up with this 3G expense that I want to get this damn stupid connection and at-least save bandwidth on normal day to day surfing and for important speedy work I'll use 3G.

1. Yes should be able to connect the laptop directly to their SSID. That guy will need to put your laptop/device MAC address into the autheticated client list on their Access Point. Then, he need to share the WAN ip address which he would have put in his device which can directly be put into your laptop ip address details. I don't see any reasons why this thing shouldn't work. This used to be a difficult with old laptops but modern laptops/phones supports 20/40 mhz channel width so shouldn't be an issue.
Most of these guys are douchebags and always insist on puttung up their wireless device. In my opinion these wireless devices are needed only when you're like more than 600m away and you're not able to get a stable signal due to Non LOS.
2. On your TP-Link router MR3420 go to -
Wireless->Wireless Settings->Click Enable WDS Bridging->There will be an option of survey ->Click it and check if you are able to see any Access points .
The survey page will report the signal strength in dB and the type of Authentication he uses i.e. WEP/WPA2-PSK etc. If all this shows up then Yes your this device too can be used as a WISP client router. No need for his device.
Please note one thing that the Region under Wireless settings of the MR3420 is set to India and not USA which is default because in US mode it will scan only 1-11 wireless channels while in india 1-13 is applicable. If any WISP is broadcasting in channel 12-13 that won't be seen in US mode, so select India if not Already.
You'll need to persuade this guy to atleast try configuring the connection directly to your laptop or device saying that you have already invested in couple of devices.
There are only few things need to make these type of connections work and those are -
a) Security Key if any proctection used by WISP
b- Your device/laptop MAC id authenticated on the Access Point if he is using authentication (I have seen people not even using this, being a lazy faggot).
c) WAN IP address (if static ip address provided) else dynamic mode can be easily selected in your device itself. Most of these guys run their networks in bridge mode and configure static private IP address in these series - 192.168.x.x , 172.16.x.x., 10.0.x.x. or 200.200.xxx basically any of the private IP series.
And that's all is needed to make things work.
You can check a couple of things using this trial software - Wifi Scanner and post your findings.

RJ27, Great info, exactly what I was looking for and was available anywhere, most places showed Linksys router converted to access point but none of them had this info.
Have bought one night pack and now trying to configure it to my TP-Link router.
the provider was zapped and speechless when I told him, I'll have the access and leave the CPE, I don't need it, my existing router will handle it.
and he said where will you catch the signal and input it into LAN Port 😛layful: 😛layful:
it was 7 PM already when I went to him, and he created the account instantly for me cause he said you'll be coming for CPE tomorrow.

Now I've the SSID key + his allocated IP to my connection + Username + password + default gateway
will post back in a hour or two with results.
Thanks again for being such a great help.

Good that he has agreed to provide the details, atleast you'd have the option to try things out first without the CPE being forced. If things doesn't work for some reason, you'll have the satisfaction of getting the CPE because of the requirement not being forced.
Keep posted if you face any kind of issues, which I'll try to help you diagnose possibly.

great friend.

I tried connecting but its not working.
here's few screenshots what I am doing.
first 2 are what you suggest and its available in router.
https://imgur.com/n9T0d8y
https://imgur.com/xlf5laR
and this shows his network when I click survey
https://imgur.com/LBfyUOC
this is what I input
https://imgur.com/NGKagdh

do I need to set anything in WAN
https://imgur.com/M2NNfEY
If i specify IP and login details, it say WAN in Unplugged, obiviously I am trying wi-fi ISP.
lastly when I click connect after doing survey, nothing happens, however sometime my router becomes unavailable thru browser and I need to restart it.

Have you specified the IP details under Static IP ? And the username/password would be possibly for the portal based login. I am guessing you're not put it in PPPOE under WAN.
Also have you tried connecting on the laptop directly?
After putting the ip/getaway details in staticip under wan, and putting ssid infornmation. Check under the Wireless Statistics tab under the wireless. It will say something like STA-UP/DOWN & AP UP/DOWN for both the devices.
Your router doesn't have a dedicated WISP AP Client router mode so it prominently depend on whether if it is able to bridge the connection some how.

Thanks again.
I am sure what is preventing me to use it as AP is missing option "WISP AP Client router mode" in TP-Link-MR3420
I changed my computer network adapter settings and voila I am able to use it, getting excellent signal in my room, without using any external antenna on inbuilt wi-fi.
Once i configured my system to their provided IP, I was able to ping then I access the login page on browser and able to access internet.
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3256043262
however I certainly need to access it through-out the home, so if my router is not compatible please suggest me what to buy
as I am sure buying directly would be cheaper

Your router TP-Link 3420 supports ddwrt. I believe it can be achieved by flashing ddwrt as it supports multiple modes, client mode, client bridge, bridge mode and bridge repeater. I guess client bridge or repeater bridge mode will be able to achieve this. Some trial and error testing is needed though. I'll post about a couple of devices in the morning after checking a few points.

Also the Nokia seimen router has also got open wrt support. With that you will be able to make it work as station catching signal from the wisp and then a lan going to the TP-Link router wan port to share via wifi.

thanks, seems "Like mind think likewise"
I was about to search for it, as its a router I can risk with no damage to my work
Will never go Back to BSNL as its like marrying a Lineman, (in my area every morning you have to hunt for him to restore one or other issue)
I am sure this thread is going to be a popular one, if I am able to MOD either of them anyway to work with WISP.
Cannot find anything about "SL2_141" trying possibilities

Edit @ 5:40AM
updated TP-Link Mr3420 to [ tl-mr3420 - build 19327 - 20120606]
its superb firmware, USB modem with Aircel SIM works fine, Also my no-ip based ddns service is working fine so no problem
with this setup.
however WDS is giving problems connecting.
I am exhausted by now, and will research more once I wake up in afternoon.
Anyway if you find any info about "SL2_141" bsnl one let me know, I found some info but I don't have serial cable to modify it.

Okay mate, here are a couple of observation in your scenario.
1- You'll not be able to configure the MR3420 using a WDS bridge, because from the description of your connection it is clear that your WISP is running a Ubiquiti Access Point (in AP mode) and would need a second client acting as a client/station not a bridge. Hence unable to bridge the connection. This configuration is understandable since he is running a ISP with mutliple user 0access points. So this leads to the requirement of an equipment acting as a client/station.
a) Now, your router MR3420 is V2 for which DD-WRT is not available (only for v1 available).
Openwrt support is there but not sure if this will be able to achieve the purpose of acting as a WISP client and re-broadcast signal. May not be worth it.
b)The Nokia Siemens SL2 _141 has got openwrt support but through a workaround of editing the device serial number and all which will also warrant the need of having the serial cable which you don't have to modify it. So not worth investing time.
This leads to looking for WISP CPE options. You have linked to the Digisol DG-BR4000N/E which has listed WISP function. Do check its product manual to be sure how this functionality works in this router. Apart from this there is one more aphrehension the above router has a single 3dBi antenna while the MR3420 has got 2x5dBi antenna.
Looking from the screenshot on the previous page the site survey on the MR3420 shows a signal strength varying nearly 20-25 which is good enough for a 512-1or2 mbps connection 4 mbps at max. But this also indicates the low capacity given the short distance.
Since you are looking to invest money seeing various options I'd have to suggest you to do invest in the outdoor cpe. Since your WISP is running his Access Point on Ubiquiti Hardware so he would have most probably be proving Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. Do enquire about it if its this product he is providing. Now question comes that is it worth investing 3000 rs for this. Answer to this is it depends on whether is it the old b/g capable unit or the new b/g/n unit. Because if it is n capable then it's worth it but the g capable should be priced less.But yes it's one of the best wireless equipment for this purpose.
For this device there is no need for pole mounting for such short distance only placing near window facing towards AP would provide a link capable of delivering 15-20 mbps line which near about max capacity. You can look out for this device if can find it cheaper online. It can be used with any other WISP providing services within 5-8 kms of range. You can also explore other device option too but in my opinion this will be kind of good choice for long term for a stable wireless link.
Keep posted further.

thanks again buddy for your time,
my WISP needs me to open a login page using a IP Address and then login manually, once this is done, internet works
and I need to keep that tab open too IIRC.
my MR3420 is Version:1 and I already installed DD-wrt firmware, however WDS is not working, don't know why.
Signal strength is working better on Laptop's inbuilt WI-FI than what router is showing, however I do have a spare external Antenna which I'll fix on
roof and attach to this router later today.
as I am yet to see the my WISP CPE, which is just a wireless AP, I think it would also need browser to login.
I not sure if modding the Nokia-Siemens would allow me to bridge this connection but I am looking for serial cable possibilities today.
Edit: update at 3P.M.
Edited my Router default gateway to match settings of what DNS server my WISP is running,
this way I just need to Switch my Laptop from My Local Router based SSID to WISP SSID and I should be able to logon there.
Opened the NS SL2_141 and found the board is almost the same but not exactly the same as mentioned on DD-WRT boards, will be posting pic there to further look into it, however as I've not have it dismantled, I am going to replace a L.E.D. from green to White (D.I.Y itch)
re-read your post and you are absolutely correct about my ISP, he's using "ubiquiti" equipment on 802.11b radio type.
https://imgur.com/vKDduZF
if possible please suggest which CPE would be compatible.
I appreciate your time and knowledge you've shared here.

So are you to able to connect through the ddwrt firmware. It should work in the repeater/repeater bridge mode given that you have configured all the details in the router mathcing to your ISP like the SSID and wireless channel/ mode, static wan IP address and default gateway address etc.Then using the same ip deatils in the laptop and connecting to the SSID of your router connection should work.
Today I was able to make my device work in the Wireless router mode using the similar bridge functionality as in your TP-Link router. Earlier it was running in the WISP client mode and was not broadcasting signal. But now it's able to act as a bridge broadcasting signal and also feeding the DSL 2750u router connected on the lan port. Only change needed after configuring it in bridge mode was that my laptop needs to be configured with the IP provided by the WISP instead of the local 192.168.1.x range.
As for the compatible CPE any device with the dedicated WISP client mode would be a breeze to setup compared to achieve the bridging with other routers. If you are able to find something in the range of less than 1500-1600 then, go for it else if your budget is reaching near 2000 or more than you should check if your ISP is providing the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. If yes go for it worth the extra money for the kind of performance if offers compared to standard routers.

I was able to use router with USB modem and change DNS IP rangeand update all my devices to use the new range cause the wisp gave house number as IP.its like 172.150.0.2xxI even configured my CCTV system for remote access with new IP range.router is certainly showing improvements.earlier even in same room I was getting -45-50dbi and after dd-wrt firmware it reaches -30 (100% strength) I've not yet tried using router to bridge with the wisp connection.I tried but left it after a hour due to some work.while I was trying to get it to work my ssid was getting changed to what my wisp has later I discovered its normal.currently away will check again in few hour.I tried to get CPE name from wisp guy but as usual he didn't picked up calls through out the day. there's one CPE from TP-Link which even goes beyond most antenna with 15+ km range without parabolic dish etc.its Rs.3000+ at Flipkart.while wisp compatible AP starts Rs. 1200will buy which can be extended so I may be able to pick Tikona which is 4 km away but doesn't wants to install their radio in my area.