Sun direct HD dth with NTSC TV?

• Thread starter Thread starter mac9999
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 32,754

mac9999

ISP
BSNL
Does anybody know if Sun HD service works with NTSC TV ( US TV) ???I believe the receiver has HDMI but not sure on transmission type?

Does anybody know if Sun HD service works with NTSC TV ( US TV) ???
I believe the receiver has HDMI but not sure on transmission type?

PAL and NTSC are for analog video and Digital HD video (720P, 1080P/1080i) are independent of this. But I need to add that still it matters due to the difference in frame rates used. NTSC it is 30 frames and PAL it is 25 frames. So check your TV for support for 25 frames (50 fields). Generally any new TV supports 25, 30 and even 24 for movies.

Thnks for the response & input.
I am not sure if my Sony (KDL40W3000 )TV supports 25 frames but it does say 24p, is that good enough?
Do you think 50Hz/60 Hz will also be an issue?

cheers

PAL and NTSC are for analog video and Digital HD video (720P, 1080P/1080i) are independent of this. But I need to add that still it matters due to the difference in frame rates used. NTSC it is 30 frames and PAL it is 25 frames. So check your TV for support for 25 frames (50 fields). Generally any new TV supports 25, 30 and even 24 for movies.

Thnks for the response & input.
I am not sure if my Sony (KDL40W3000 )TV supports 25 frames but it does say 24p, is that good enough?
Do you think 50Hz/60 Hz will also be an issue?

cheers

I have just checked the manual of KDL40W3000 available in the net. In the spec it is talking only about 60HZ (vertical freq) and 1080/24P. So I assume it will not support 50Hz vertical. So it can be an issue. But this can be solved by connecting to a AVR (AV Receiver) with input scalar to convert the frame rates.
So assuming Sun HD is 1080i/25, we have 50 frames per second and if you are using a 60Hz TV the rest of the 5 (25 to 30) frames can be added by repeating some frames. This can be done by an AVR or a TV. Now TV has enough processing power to do that. So somebody who knows how it is implemented in the TV mentioned can enlighten us or we need to connect and verify.

Regards,
Tomy

I have tried connecting the STB with my TV directly using the HDMI cable and it didn't work. As per Tech support team from SUN HD, if after connecting the TV shows the DISH logo or some thing then it will work. Need to Check with Receiver , Am also researching on getting a FTA STB from US and use smart card in that. (Need to get details on using subscription on FTA boxes)

Any luck with this guys. I just got a samsung LN40C630 lcd to take to india and was wondering to use one of the STB (Dish) boxes to coonect to LCD. This TV supports 120-24V and 50/60 Hz and also looking at the framerates it looks like its supports videos in 24/25 and 30 frames per sec. See attached images.
What is the best way to watch TV in india with this TV. Please advise so I can invest in that.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4637791121_8873e913d6_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4637791005_797c699db1_o.jpg

Cheers
Praveen

Dont get a US make NTSE TV to India. I got the same model last dec and only watching Blu-ray movies with blu-ray player bought from US. Still did not find a cheap solution to connect to cable/DTH.My advice sell the TV in craiglist and buy a new one here ... You can drop me a email if you have further questions.-Deb

All - those bringing expensive big HD TVs from US, save yourselves the trouble and get a convertor such as ATLONA convertor (e.g AT-LINE-EX). The device costs about $300 and works like charm. I was able to hook up my Samsung LED TV effortlessly. Now I enjoy SUN HD content on my TV.Remember - to enjoy a great viewing experience - do NOT cringe on the cost of the convertor...it is like getting good quality tyres for your expensive car !Cheers

All - those bringing expensive big HD TVs from US, save yourselves the trouble and get a convertor such as ATLONA convertor (e.g AT-LINE-EX). The device costs about $300 and works like charm.

I did the same and I am very happy with it. This box can take any input and upscale to 1080p, so thats an added advantage! Selling TV on Craigslist is not as simple since the prices drop drastically and might not be worth selling it.

thanks guys..
Good to hear that Atlona AT-Lline-EX works for you...
I have been using Atlona CDM 660 with cable setup box, tried IPTV as well, the picture clarity is not good & very grainy

Does the AT-Line-Ex produce good quality picture?
Have you tried upscaling standard def tv to 1080p and how does that look?
I see you mentioned that HD input works fine but how about SD channels?

I dont mind buying this if it gives good picture clarity... pls update

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

I did the same and I am very happy with it. This box can take any input and upscale to 1080p, so thats an added advantage! Selling TV on Craigslist is not as simple since the prices drop drastically and might not be worth selling it.

Hi

Are you using the AT-Line-Ex as well? pls update on picture clarity for standard def tv ?
Does it upscale well ? is the clarity good.

The picture quality is excellent with the combination of Tata Sky+ and Atlona AT-LINE-EX. My only problem now is that it does not pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI. TataSky HD box and my DVD output DD 5.1, but the receiver gets it as stereo when sent through the Atlona. If I connect directly, I get DD 5.1 at the receiver. Hope someone finds a solution to this!

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

All - those bringing expensive big HD TVs from US, save yourselves the trouble and get a convertor such as ATLONA convertor (e.g AT-LINE-EX). The device costs about $300 and works like charm. I was able to hook up my Samsung LED TV effortlessly. Now I enjoy SUN HD content on my TV.

Remember - to enjoy a great viewing experience - do NOT cringe on the cost of the convertor...it is like getting good quality tyres for your expensive car !

Cheers

@rambo_fire: Can you check with your AT-LINE-EX what it does with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via HDMI? If I connect my DVD to receiver via AT-LINE-EX, then I get only stereo 🙁

so you mean the standard def quality is also good? not the HD?Pls confirm as im about to order one.

From where you purchased the ATLONA convertor - AT-LINE-EX. Did you buy it in India if so let me know the place and shop name.

Hi ,Anybody knows whether Dish TruHD or Tata Sky HD STB supports 60Hz NTSC only TV ? I can not trust the picture output quality from a Converter such as Atloona/CMD etc, because I had purchased twice and it did not produce a good quality picture on my 40" Sony LCD TV ( which I bought from US).Regards,Murali