• Thread starter Thread starter su_mumbai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,194

su_mumbai

ISP
Airtel
Hi all,

So finally after waiting for a year and a half, Airtel is thinking about launching their fiber broadband services in our area in Mumbai.

Since the last 20 years, I have been on MTNL ADSL Broadband (now at 12 Mbps) which works all right, but I have a sneaky suspicion that MTNL is on its last leg and I feel the need to move on to something better. As I had written in an earlier post, I do a lot of torrenting and hence I port forward in the router to get the maximum benefit out of it.

If the Airtel people do agree to install in my building, I will be going for the 100 Mbps plan to begin with. Is it possible to port forward in Airtel, or do they now have CG-NAT like other providers? If there is CG-NAT, what are the options (should I ask them for a static IPv4 or is there some way to port forward using IPv6 or some other trick? Are there any Airtel broadband specific port forwarding guides on the internet?). Also what other things should I ask from them? Suggestions for the best modem model, how to save on installation charges, and other points which a new user of fiber broadband might oversee are welcome.

Thanks.

Modem- Huawei>Nokia>any other available. Your options are subject to availability.
Installation charges- if going for 100 Mbps, go for a 3 month pack which will waive of ₹1000 charges for installation.
Other points- not much if installation done by Airtel themselves. They pretty much know their job.

Wait for your connection then ask the questions again. The situation can change drastically from now and then.

If they are "thinking", it could still take years before service is actually launched. Bare minimum timeframe that you should have in your mind should 3-4 months.

Thanks. Yes I know it might take a while but I'm prepared to wait. If it doesn't work out, we also have Tata Sky Broadband in our area, which has good reviews.

I think once I get everything installed, I will ask about port forwarding strategies then. Fingers crossed.

Airtel has started implement CG-NAT at few places and it’s something which is an eventuality. Once I have switched over fully to IPv6, I don’t have much issues with CG-NAT. I use IPv6 to remote desktop into my PC at home. If IPv6 is unavailable, I use Tailscale on IPv4. I have zero issues in playing Valorant, Forza Horizon 4 and Wreckfest over multiplayer. This is on Tata Sky BB. I am sure situation will exactly be same on Airtel once they fully shift to CG-NAT. Though I hardly torrent, with proper IPv6, I see myself connect to lots of Chinese/Russian/EU IPv6 based peers and I max my Gigabit connection.

Airtel and TataSky allow bridge mode and have full control over your own router and port forwarding is not required for IPv6.
Jio doesn’t allow bridge mode.

Thanks. Yes I know it might take a while but I'm prepared to wait. If it doesn't work out, we also have Tata Sky Broadband in our area, which has good reviews.

I think once I get everything installed, I will ask about port forwarding strategies then. Fingers crossed.
My 10 day experience of Airtel's restricted CGNAT in Noida If on Airtel CGNAT, you get two different IPs ( One displayed in router and the other one which you check on Google ) than you will not be able to port forward. From past 3 years I was getting a dynamic public IP and I was port forwarding easily with a ddns. 15 days back my port forwarding stopped working and it turn out that my router is getting a private ip. I lodged a complaint, provided screenshots of both the IPs ( in router and on Google ) to there engineer and within 3 hours, my router once again started receiving public ip. But IP is changing very frequently now but that issue can be resolved using a ddns. So, before installation engineer leaves, check IP address and discuss with the engineer if you see any issue there.