Suggestions for a high end Desktop

chaibiskutbhai

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel 999
A friend needs help in upgrading a desktop for graphic designing.

Usage: primarily Adobe Illustrator (CS5 now, higher later), Photoshop, Fireworks, InDesign, etc

Need suggestions as to processor (i5 or i7), Haswell or earlier?

What motherboard (want a decent one).. Asus / Intel?

What RAM?

Do not want AMD.

If he's going to work on Adobe products, I would suggest going for a Mac Pro.

And these are basic apps that work just fine on Windows. Apple Pro becomes kind of a necessity when you need to work with Mac specific apps that Apple produces. Like Apple Logic Pro or Apple Final Cut Pro.

Could be. But couple of my friends who work on the above products say Adobe is shit on Windows. Maybe they are the Apple crowd as you said 😀

They also say he display supplied by Apple makes a lot of difference in choosing colors while working on these products and also the overall fluidity of these software is much better on a Mac than Windows.

That's what you hear about iPhones right? Stop believing the hype. Apple's own software products have become superior to Adobes over the year in the fields of audio and video which is why you see Rahman etc. using Apple products. There is no reason to buy a Apple Pro to use PhotoShop or Illustrator.

Could be. But couple of my friends who work on the above products say Adobe is shit on Windows. Maybe they are the Apple crowd as you said 😀

They also say he display supplied by Apple makes a lot of difference in choosing colors while working on these products and also the overall fluidity of these software is much better on a Mac than Windows.

What? Adobe shit on windows? That was true once upon a time, but not anymore. Mac Pro's btw, arent used for Adobe apps mainly, as they are equally optimised for both Windows and Mac. If you're doing video editing, however, yes, firstly using FCP means you're stuck on OS10, and my god the new mac pros fly while doing vid editing, especially 4k.

TLDR: Nope. Adobe works just as well on Macs/Windows PCs.
Source: I myself am a Creative Director of a design studio, I run both my PC and my mac in my studio, and am a Creative Cloud subscriber. The only plus point on using OSX for Adobe or any creative application is font rendering is much better in OSX, as well as font management. (but thats not nothing to do with having a mac pro)

@OP: If using Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, Indesign, do look at an i7 (i5 would do, but i'd still go for future proofing), with atleast 16gigs of memory. More memory WILL be helpful, even 32 would be beneficial, especially if he's moving large print ready files from Illustrator/Indesign to rasterize in photoshop (then PS bloody hogs ram like no tomorrow). So, basically look for a 4770/4790 (you wouldn't need a K part as there's really no need to overclock a workstation) and pair it with a H87/Z87 or a Z97 motherboard. Asus makes solid motherboards, totally recommend.
If your friend wants to go the Hackintosh route, go for a Gigabyte Board. 16GB of DDR 1600 would be more than enough, as again unless overclocking there are diminishing returns on the Haswell/Devils Canyon platform going for higher speed RAM.

Edit: and regarding your comment on the workflow and fluidity viz-a-viz Windows, Nishant: I agree, it's far easier to switch spaces and have an Adobe App assigned for each desktop space on a Mac OS. But then again, if you're used to windows, you're going to be set with your workflow anyway.
I just think it was silly of you to recommend a 3000 Dollar Mac Pro that's mainly made for Audio/Video professionals for someone in Design. Also, a Mac Pro ddoesn'tcome with a display, so I don't know what you were on about. Yes, Apple cherry picks very good panels, that's why for my on-the-go workstation i have an MBP, the display is excellent and so is the colour accuracy. But their 27 inch thunderbolt display or the one on an iMac is an LG display that is also incorporated by other companies. Displays are actually crucial to a design - oriented computer, so for that I would recommend a Dell Ultrasharp (which I use as well) or an Asus Proart monitor. They come factory calibrated and are very accurate out of the box.

Last edited:
Haha, no problems! I apologise for the moderately large wall of text I typed out.