Suggest Ubuntu version for an old desktop having 128MB RAM

• Thread starter Thread starter kapil9211
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 12,678
I think you must try Arch Linux. It's damn fast but a bit geeky. Just get a print out of the guide from Wiki and use it while installing. Install Xfce as your desktop environment.

Hi Guys,Yesterday I tried Puppy Linux using a live CD.The first time I ran it, it asked me about the hardware config etc and then was able to run properly. Thereafter I also did my TCP/IP settings so as to be able to access internet using the modem. It was all working fine on that old piece of shit and I was happy.But then I tried rebooting, so it asked whether to save the config or not. I selected the option of saving his stuff on my hard disk.But, when I tried booting Puppy Linux the second time, I was able to see the desktop but mouse was not working. I couldnt move a single darn thing as I dont know even a single keyboard shortcut.I tried exploring the puppy linux forum but to no avail. Have posted there too.Mouse is an old 2 button serial port without scroll.Puppy Linux version is the latest stable release 4.2 (Deep Thought)I wonder if any linux geek here can resolve this.

Finally installed Puppy Linux on my hard disk. I am more than satisfied with it. You dont have to be a geek to use it. All my hardware was auto detected except mouse. I ran into some issue but finally was able to get over it.Now my old desktop is running faster than my laptop having 2gig and core 2 duo proc. Its amazing guys. Boot time is 35 secs. Its unbelievable!!Thanks for the suggestions.

I also have 128MB old PC which is good for Win98SE. I want to migrate to Puppy. But the problem is my CD drive is not working and BIOS is old so does not support USB booting. So is there way by which I can install Puppy from HDD??

I also have 128MB old PC which is good for Win98SE. I want to migrate to Puppy. But the problem is my CD drive is not working and BIOS is old so does not support USB booting. So is there way by which I can install Puppy from HDD??

I don't know about installing puppy from ISOs, but you can do that with Slackware & other Slack-based distros (like slax).

Xubuntu is heavy for system having 128mb ram. fluxubuntu is better than xubuntu on old systems, though xubuntu have more user friendly interface.