• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,174

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,

As mentioned in my other thread, I have bought an Acer laptop. I want to buy another but a Dell one this time with the following specs. Can you suggest me a good model?

Intel i3 processor
Atleast 500 GB hard disk, good if more
4 GB DDR 3 RAM
1 GB dedicated graphics card
DVD Writer
15.6" screen
Wi-fi
BlueTooth
USB ports

I had a look at the Dell India site and the cost is Rs. 39,390 (Inspiration 15R) for what I want as mentioned below on this Dell page.

http://www.dell.com/in/p/laptops.aspx?c=in&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn#!facets=57485~0~300278,57490~0~300290,57479~0~300255,57481~0~300265&p=1

Thanks.

personal experience with Dell. stay away from them.

Using XPS 15 , you can read the review in my blog , it was written very early. But in my expirience thus far , havent had any issues , hardware wise. But since Dell offering only nvidia as of now IIRC , the use of Optimus technology can be a deal breaker , it passes all the GPU output via the crappy Intel HD 3000 , which kind of takes away the fun , also some games / apps , even WPI doesnt recognize the original card.Apart from this nudging issue , all other things are great. Dell is flexible in replacing any parts , but many are refurbished , and you wont get a brand new part. Have had XPS 1530 and now XPS 15 , great laptops. Get atleast i5 , i3 as far as i have heard , doesnt give much performance.

Rule of thumb- Dell is Rs 5-7000 more expensive for a similar config from say Asus,Lenovo,Acer/HP.I understand you are worried about the serivice warranty factor. Dell indeed sends technician for home repair (mostly trainee newbies) after telephone solution. After 3-4 bungled attempts they do replace parts (not new as mwntioned above)For the price of Dell Core I3 ,you can get a Core I5 from say Asus/Lenovo.I always assume the laptops will not work beyond 3 years and if it works 365 days with out any hitch,I am happy.Right now I have three laptops -Acer 2007 (sep) ,Asus 2011(oct) and Lenovo 2011(Dec) all working well -touch wood.