Suggest a EDGE connection for Google Nexus One in India

How is 300 mb for 99 Rs the best plan when there is a 98 Rs plan with a 2GB limit .

docomo has a 6GB plan for 99 bucks! aircel has the unlimited plan for 98 bucks!

m using docomo 2.5gb plan 60rsrocking speed.. 😛all applications works fine.average dwnld speed is abt 25kBps.

Go for BSNL. It will give you a fantastic 3G experience in 2G plan too. Or else go for Docomo.

2GB or 6GB for a phone is plenty... Depending on where I am, I use Google Maps, Ovi Maps, Fring & Nimbuzz (Skype, MSN etc), browse the web heavily, check, write and send numerous email accounts, download PDFs and documents, watch Youtube videos and even post to IBF from my phone, and I have never managed 2GB even in my heaviest months (when I was video-calling with Fring, for example).Haven't you guys learned yet that the word "unlimited" is a trap to give you an utterly shit service which is probably restricted anyway? So unless you're tethering your phone to your PC, why worry about these limitations? Even with a 2 or 6GB plan, "normal" behaviour (eg not downloading) while tethering to your phone still means you should have plenty of usage available to you, otherwise you just have to work within your limits. You can't even get a 2 or 6GB triband plan from MTNL for 99 bucks, let alone 60 😉Back to the point: can anyone think of some ways with which I could increase my data usage without tethering to my laptop and going on a download frenzy? Probably not.

as far as edge is concerned bsnl edge is worst due to congestion on network , docomo and aircel provides good edge speeds , but it slowly comes down since December last year , Reliance edge speed is also good , but sometime it downs completely

thank you everyone for your repliescan you people post speedtestnet results of your airtel aircel and docomo connections ??and how usable is EDGE/GPRS i want to know...as in i get it that connections besides vodafone live will work for email and apps.. but how usable are these apps on slow speed..like facebook app for android vs facebook mobile website........ youtube app vs youtube.com.......... how long on an avewrage does it take to open email attachments..as of now vodafone live works really good at night.. i cant do a speedtest but i vew full version of engadget and facebook and loading time is decentsometime back i used airtel mobile office on n97 and vodafone live on 5800 together to download on ovi and airtel was nowhere near vodafone liveso definitely i will not move to airtel unless they have improved..

thank you everyone for your replies
can you people post speedtestnet results of your airtel aircel and docomo connections ??

I don't think most people could do that from their phone. I assume, however, you want to tether your phone to your laptop and use it that way in place of a "real" internet connection.

and how usable is EDGE/GPRS i want to know...
as in i get it that connections besides vodafone live will work for email and apps.. but how usable are these apps on slow speed..
like facebook app for android vs facebook mobile website........ youtube app vs youtube.com.......... how long on an avewrage does it take to open email attachments..

On a phone, you'll usually get the mobile version of the site, so I've found EDGE to be sufficient in many cases (I was using Vodafone Connect GPRS) for just checking email and whatnot. Youtube not so great, Google Maps works but is not fantastic in speed. Email attachments vary in size so all you can do is take the speed which you as an individual get for your connection, since EVERYONES experiences vary with different providers in different parts of India - but let's use an average speed of 160kbit/s as an example (even though EDGE should give you up to about 220kbit/s) - this should give you about 20kbyte/s download.. so for a 200kbyte attachment, 10 seconds or so.

as of now vodafone live works really good at night.. i cant do a speedtest but i vew full version of engadget and facebook and loading time is decent
sometime back i used airtel mobile office on n97 and vodafone live on 5800 together to download on ovi and airtel was nowhere near vodafone live
so definitely i will not move to airtel unless they have improved..

I found Airtel to be quite shit in January '09 - I got around 20kbit/s with Airtel Mobile Office (tethered to a laptop, on Airtel's speed test site). It may have improved, it may not. With Vodafone I got pretty decent speeds - probably 150-200kbit/s (tethered to a laptop) and Idea Mumbai GPRS also gave me pretty decent speeds. However, with you being in Delhi, my data is probably useless.

One thing you'll need to keep in mind as 3G emerges in India is the level of 3G your phone has. I found this problem out while I was living in Finland. My original phone was 3G only, so I got 384kbit/s only - the device was the bottleneck. In order to take advantage of their 3G, I had to buy a new phone.

speedtest actually has dedicated apps for iPhone and android at least. though i never trust the results because the figures are surprisingly high 😀

speedtest actually has dedicated apps for iPhone and android at least.

though i never trust the results because the figures are surprisingly high 😀

It's still unclear how he wishes to use the connection: on a mobile or on his PC.

but it is pretty clear that he does not want to understand/accept the facts. you cannot really get a clear picture from other people's experience especially when it comes to mobile networks. if person A is getting X KBps on B mobile network... that does not guarantee anything.

dont go for anything than vodaphone its costly but worth it, other indian guyes( tata, airtel, aircel...) will give u gr8 offer but when it comes to service they r worstsee the offer of 98 rs n all will give u 50-60 kbps n all in avg. but surfing is real pathetic on it n there customer service is poor these people cant understand what gprs is all abt.....

ust put airtelgprs.com in apn name and its done in a nexus one u dont need to add anything else.