Sudden Latency Increase; can barely play online - Please Help!

• Thread starter Thread starter oOo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 8,837

oOo

ISP
MTNL Triband
I've been using MTNL Triband NU 849 since a while now, primarily for playing MMORPGs and other games online such as World of Warcraft and Call of Duty 4.

I used to get really low latency for a while; i.e. around 150ms on most CoD4 servers and 300-400ms in WoW. Around a week or two back the latency started spiking quite often and my CoD 4 latency turned to 300-350ms which is quite unplayable for online first person shooters. This would happen only once a while though, and it was bearable.

This week, 300-350ms latency in CoD4 has become standard and I never get less than 1000ms latency in WoW. I don't know what's wrong with my connection and the CC people don't seem bothered by it.

Please tell me how to go about solving the issue. I'm using UT300r2u router, and here's my ADSL status report -

ADSL Firmware Version: E.37.5.3
Line State: Showtime/Data
Modulation: ADSL2+
Local/Remote Tx Power: 654.49 dB / 1.85 dB

Item -------------Downstream------Upstream ---- Unit
SNR Margin---------- 30.5db------------ 12.0db-------- dB
Line Attenuation -----21.0db ----------- 30.5db---------dB
Loss of Signal---------- 0 ---------------- 0 --------------
CRC Errors------------- 0 ---------------- 0 --------------
Data Rate ----------2047 Kbps --------- 263 Kbps ---- kbps
Latency ------------- Fast-------------- Fast-------------

Any help would be appreciated, since my life and job revolves around gaming. Thank you for your time.

bribe the lineman to comes to your place and get ur wires checked. It should be a problem somewhere just outside ur house.

Am on BSNL. I used to play Warrock some months earlier. But had to stop playing due to the latency problem 🙁

yes its getting slower day by day in day time. early morning, speeds are good.

suddenly MTNL mumbai has gone very slow, even Gmail is not loading in general mode have to read mails in html mode....... Is this the new year gift to mumbaikars from mtnl?

suddenly MTNL mumbai has gone very slow, even Gmail is not loading in general mode have to read mails in html mode.......

Is this the new year gift to mumbaikars from mtnl?

😗

can be possible

:hysterical:

I have been facing the same problem playing Halo CE in the past week. I doubt it is a line problem (or prolly we live in the same area) i think something is definetely wrong on the MTNL side. Also it cant be a DNS problem when playing games as we connect directly to servers IPs. o0o COD4 is still playable, what a game !!!

have the same problem.. last few weeks i am also feeing an increse in latency 🙁, unable to play warrock, 9dragons etc. properly

@ rghai6 Word! CoD4 is the best shit ever! Getting back on track, what area do you live in, because I think the problem is spread pretty much all across Mumbai. I live in Bandra, and a friend who lives townside (and another who lives on Grant Road) is facing the same issues.Let's take MTNL's a*s if they're not willing to at least admit that there's a problem. I work for a pretty reputed media company and am a member of the Press; so I can assure you that i'll do all in my power to ensure that we (all of us) get our money's worth!

@oOo:I stay at Malabar Hill. Last night while playin halo the ping was actually better for about an hour. But today since morning it is the same bullcrap again.Yeah let's get their as*es in place if nothing happens. We should send a formal complaint to their helpdesk and then wait and see what happens. I will do that as well, as soon as my exams get over on the 12th of this month.Another thing i've noticed is that despite having a 2Mbps connection, the effective speed i'm using while playing halo is never above 50 Kbps . Thus the speed indicated by the tarriff plan by MTNL (256Kbps) is not being provided. MTNL must do something to give us a better ping from servers irrespective of where they are situated. Even the google UK server pings at an avg of 320 ms !

latency a line problem? :O ...its due to poor routing/congestion on routers of MTNL's intl Bandwidth provider..which is usually VSNL or FLAG (reliance)nothing much can be done about it..i doubt if complaining to CC will help

That pretty much answers that problem. I am facing the same problem as the OP who is a colleague of mine.

While he is majorly into FPS, i am mostly a WoW fan and have been facing latencies of 1000-2000 since the last couple of weeks. The problem is rather acute and forcing me to look elsewhere for a provider.

It does give a good ping once in a while... after you disc/reconnect a million times.

latency a line problem? :O ...its due to poor routing/congestion on routers of MTNL's intl Bandwidth provider..which is usually VSNL or FLAG (reliance)

nothing much can be done about it..i doubt if complaining to CC will help

@cybwiz:Why is there a SUDDEN increase in latency if it is the problem of traffic at MTNLs B/W provider ?