Subscribe to Sify

• Thread starter Thread starter impetus
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,674

impetus

Hi all,I want to move from Dial-up to Broadband.In my area, only Sify broadband is available (maybe reliance as well - wireless)Please suggest tariff plan for 128Kbps. Current users of Sify ->How's the speed ? Are you getting speeds close to what is advertised?Thanks

Hi impetus,I've subscribed for 40KB/s connection and I was promised 4~5kb/s and I do get 4kb/s but if I download lot of stuff than it gets capped at 2.5~3kb/s. If you browse the forum you might not buy Sify for various reasons but personally ( till now ) I have not faced any problems as yet, so go for it if you dont have any options rather than wait for other ISP to lay down their cable (I've heard Reliance is providing 128KB/s for Rs.750 for 10GB p/m). Latesh

Sify service depnds on how good ur cto is . In some places they gives as they promise and in some they wont . So i suggest ask those people hwo r in ur area having same cto .

impetus, You might start getting 256 kbps for Rs. 500 a month soon through your phone lines which support your current dial-up connection, courtsey MTNL/BSNL.If I was in your place I'd wait for 3 months more. Better than getting a Sify (or for that matter a Reliance) connection for a substantial non-refundable initial deposit 😉 Tintin, The CTO from whom you have taken your Sify connection is supposed to get a share everytime you renew your account, either online or through him.But some CTOs ask for an additional service/maintenance charge, in which case the CTO gets pissed off if you renew your account online byp@$$ing him in the process. I came to know of this when my CTO blocked me from accessing the gateway computer using some "software" when I renewed online.

Originally posted by latesh@Jan 7 2005, 03:44 PM
Hi impetus,

I've subscribed for 40KB/s connection and I was promised 4~5kb/s and I do get 4kb/s but if I download lot of stuff than it gets capped at 2.5~3kb/s. [snapback]4109[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's worse than the dialup connection I have right now! Maybe I'll follow your advice and stick with dialup for the time being.

Also, isn't it "4~5 KBPS" (all caps) ? (as in Kilo BYTES per second)

I have heard that normal telephone lines cannot support speeds greater than 64Kbps due to constructional limitations. If that is true, how will BSNL offer 128 Kbps service over existing telephone lines?

I have heard that normal telephone lines cannot support speeds greater than 64Kbps due to constructional limitations. If that is true, how will BSNL offer 128 Kbps service over existing telephone lines?[/b]

It's possible using a technology called DSL. Read about it here--http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

yeah ... and the raosen is phpaers i was dnurk that day . 🙁 ptrtey mcuh the same toady ... 😀

Now that you are living without your parents I guess you will drink a lot, a lot more times. Maybe we'll have to ban you someday...