Strict NAT while playing games

The local executive doesn't know shit. Though he is helpful about keeping the connection stable. I argued with the CC about this and got nowhere.

They lack that escalation matrix and openly violate TRAI rules. TRAI doesn't have a customer grievance redressal system (the RBI has one) and complaining to TRAI won't help (This is written on TRAI website in clean text.) The technical guy from Alliance had called me and told me I need to buy static ip.

So torrent downloads will be impossible with SITI without using VPN because its CG NAT? @JB700! but what about Strict NAT?

Torrent downloads should work but with rare torrents with low seeders may not download or download very slowly as other peers still have open incoming port for seeding.

Regular NAT is when each user has one public IP and the user has to share that one public IP among all the devices on their network. This is fine as the user has control over the router and can forward ports as needed.

CG-NAT is when ISPs share one public ip among many customers. The customers are given a private IP address by the ISP and as customers can't forward ports on ISP router, incoming connections are limited or none.

Strict NAT usually occurs in CG-NAT environment when the ISP blocks the incoming ports needed for a specific application to work.

I hope this explanation is clear and accurate enough.

@JB700 you are fire and i love the way you explained things...
So its seems to be against the rule but some ISP's are doing this... so why don't we initiate a rouge protest of disconnection from these ISP's... net neutrality

Whether its against net neutrality is debatable.
It is a shitty practice though to unnecessarily block high range ports. Most users, especially non-gamers don't notice this at all.
Others don't have a choice when it comes to ISPs.

NAT and CGN are an unfortunate consequence due to lack of IPv4 addresses. In most western nations with high IP count per capita, each customer gets public IP (though NAT still exists but atleast customer has control over it).

In India and most countries where internet came later like India and China, IPv4 counts are very low which means ISPs have to resort to CGN. Some ISPs (including Siti i'm guessing) do provide public IP for extra cost as most customers won't pay for it.

Ideally all the devices should have a publicly routable IP . This is the case with IPv6 (unless ISP is being a POS and putting users behind NAT IPv6). Unfortunately, IPv6 usage is still very low and many game servers likely won't support it. I think ISPs should be legally required to (properly) implement IPv6.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with that, because rn the only way of easily knowing whether an ISP uses CGN or not is using forums like this

I guess you can call customer support but with most small ISPs they won't understand what CGN means.

Is there any ISP in India which is not using CG NAT? Or they provide open ports/ publicly routable IP for no extra charges? I know about Jio's LTE, but that's not reliable.

Honesty Net Solution Pvt.Ltd is one of the ISP (which I used) provide public IP (even open port 80, 8000, 9999, 9000) without any charges.

I used to host FTP server and even my own personal Minecraft room 😬.

Edited: But my local ISP now changed the main line from HNS to some shitty Gazon Communications India Ltd which uses CG-NAT.

Airtel , BSNL , MTNL, Hathway (in some cases) provide public IP Addresses to customers. BSNL even provides IPv6 in certain areas.
Old ISPs have large blocks of IPs because of which they don't need to go with CGN.