Streaming Media from PC/MacBook to HDTV - India specific solution

^ If your TV does support all formats, and plays streaming HD content well over DLNA, you won't have to bother about a dedicated media player. However, this is rarely the case - I am not aware of a fool proof solution - and so the media player. The other advantage with media players is the ability to update their firmware to support newer codecs (of course provide the hardware is already there), which is not advisable with TVs

What @agantuk said. My TV does not play MKV, H.264 and a few other very important codecs. When I did not have the box, I used Nero MediaHome to transcode unsupported videos on-the-fly, but for larger HD videos, that is a great deal of stress to the CPU of the machine which runs the transcoder. A dedicated device which is built to decode video made a lot more sense.

Acer aspire revo is what i use loaded with XBMC..though i also have an Asus oplay air connected wirelessly via a N band router to an inexpensive NAS (K-330) from deal extreme that is in turn connected to a 500 GB HDD..setup works well and i have seamless multimedia content availability on 2 TV's

Acer aspire revo is what i use loaded with XBMC..though i also have an Asus oplay air connected wirelessly via a N band router to an inexpensive NAS (K-330) from deal extreme that is in turn connected to a 500 GB HDD..setup works well and i have seamless multimedia content availability on 2 TV's

Reading about XBMC online now ...did not know about it earlier.
Thanks for the information.

Few doubts
1) How is XNMC different to Windows Media Share or Nero Media Hub ?
2) What is acer aspire revo and Asus oplay air

Few doubts
1) How is XNMC different to Windows Media Share or Nero Media Hub ?
2) What is Acer aspire revo and Asus oplay air

1) initially i wanted to install on linux and wanted a free media player so chose XBMC..nyways i find interface of XBMC more practical and usable rather than WMC..havent tried nero

2) Acer aspire is a nettop that is built exclusively to be used as a multimedia PC connected to the TV..there are various models available now within the revo range and even other companies are also manufacturing similar products. Asus oplay air is a media player that plays multimedia content from the wireless/wired network, from flash cards, USB sticks, e-sata drives etc, also can be used to browse online content viz youtube etc it can also be flashed with custom firmware as well and i am using an oplay air thats flashed with firware that supports samba, torrents, FTP etc