Strange Thing I Noticed While Downloading Torrents

• Thread starter Thread starter boyof82
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 7,995
QUOTE(Ashim @ Jan 15 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]75336[/snapback]
The moderator is right...even when the torrents on public trackers have good number of seeders, the download speed is slow...What really matters is that how many seeders are at the closest distance[/b]

There is a major issue which everyone here seems to have missed. First of all both seeds and peers will upload. Seeders/peers on public trackers do seed but 90% of them limit their upload to a very low speed since ratio is not an issue on these trackers. Hence you get bad speeds on these. Whereas seeders/peers on private trackers generally upload at max so as to get their ratios in order before the torrent gets fewer and fewer peers which would result in no uploads and hence a lower ratio.

As for seeds/peers on your LAN segment - Has anyone setup an FTP or a webserver on his pc and asked someone in his LAN segment to download of it? I'd bet you would get the same speeds i.e. 21 kBps. If you get 60 kBps then Airtel has f**ked up. Do let me know.

transfer on lan are much faster than 21kBps.......it depends on factors like the current traffic on the lan but certainly not the speed of the internet conn.

QUOTE(mystery_inc18 @ Jan 18 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]75712[/snapback]
transfer on lan are much faster than 21kBps.......it depends on factors like the current traffic on the lan but certainly not the speed of the internet conn.[/b]

Before replying why dont you read this again -
"As for seeds/peers on your LAN segment - Has anyone setup an FTP or a webserver on his pc and asked someone in his LAN segment to download of it? I'd bet you would get the same speeds i.e. 21 kBps. If you get 60 kBps then Airtel has f**ked up. Do let me know"

It would be nice if you actually try it out first before giving me your comments.

ohk i misinterpreted it the last time.............but i did that coz i thought u were replying to shusubh's post---seeders sitting on your LAN would give you faster speeds. pings matter. distance matter. as simple as that.[/b]
and i think he was talkin bout seeders who r present on ur LAN................not connected to u thru ftp.

when u dwld something frm an ftp server set up by one of us(airtel users) the dwld speed wud depend on the u/l speed of the server...which wud be sumwhere round 21-27kBps(256kbps conn).....to which i agree but this is not a case of lan transfer.

Dude...users in the same LAN wont get more than 21-27 kBps even if I setup a local tracker and they download stuff of my disk, same case for FTP/Webserver/DC++ etc. I do wish we get full line speeds on our LAN which would be really usefull as we could form some sort of download club.

I agree with zewarrior as airtel's lan is not the same as the locan lan interent wala

ok......either i'm confused or u're confused.................. the LAN i'm talkin is the lans which we hv in our colleges, schools etc. Wot airtel has in place is not LAN....its WAN. There is no lan connection among airtel users residing even in the same locality.

telephone lines cannot form a lan or a wan dude 😛 i think. i can be wrong. 😛

WE can use Hamachi to make a virtual lan if we want, that would be pretty cool.... to share files, if you know wat i mean 😉

yaar....how in the world can u use hamachi for torrents, hamachi creates an awesome lan connection sometimes with pings as low as 40-80ms .......which is gr8 for lan gaming, but sadly the transfer rates r same as our internet conn since its a virtual lan across the internet.