Strange Problem With Windows Xp

mystery_inc18

Regulars
ISP
Airtel (512kbps)
Hey ppl lately i've been experiencing a strange problem with my XP. It happened for the first time last week, that i had left my comp idle for about 30mins and when i returned i found that the comp was very sluggish, i checked the virtual memory in use frm the taskmanager and found out that it was 990mb(usually its around 250mb) i closed all the programs and all the windows and still it oinly came down to about 900mb, so i rebooted and then it went back to normal(229mb). i thought it may be some rare occurrence, but the same thing happened again today. I ran a virus scan using Bitdefender but it found nothing except two spywares which are usually detected in every scan magne2t and magne3t which are rated as low risk spywares.Can anyone help me understand wots happeneing i.e why the pagefile in use shoots up automatically???

it's most likely due to memory leakage. some program running on freaks out eating tons of memory. it tends to happen a lot on my system with betas of firefox and opera.

but the task manager shows that none of the processes are running on memory any higher than 20 mb, including browser etc.

thnx i'm tryin some out now and waiting until it happens again..(i.e that memory shoot up thing)

Sushubh cud u suggest some tools ??? i cud find anything useful there 🙁 and the prob is still very much there and has become more frequent and also i disk checked today after i had to emergency shutdown my pc (due to the v mem shoot up) and it converted 54 lost chains of files.. is that a signal that i should reformat my system 🙁 🙁 ??? Coz last when error started arising on my disk eventually i had to reformat my system within jus 20 days of formatting it 🙁