Strange and weird speed problem in XP

• Thread starter Thread starter blntechie
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,362

blntechie

ISP
Dataone
My dataone speed drops to around 1/8th of what it is during daytime(using 500C-yeah, i know that it equates to 256kbps of the 2Mbps plan). I initially thought BSNL is restricting speed during 2-8 free hours. But it turned out its not so. Weirdest thing is it happening in Windows XP alone. When i tested the connection in Ubuntu 8.10 it connected at speeds as usual as daytime. But as soon as i switch back to xp it drops and it happens only during 2-8 alone. I then checked Windows and other software updates for any traffic but all were turned off. I also checked the outgoing and incoming traffic using Axence nettools to check any malware is clogging my connection and it don't show up any suspicious traffic.Ran anti malware and virus tools too and my PC is clean. Windows firewall is turned off and my ESET firewall and realtime file protection also turned off(even i tested by stopping the whole service) but no avail.Tested with firewall turned on too to check any attacks blocking speeds.And nothing improvedI thought of all possibilities like undersea cable cut and everything i know but still couldnt find whats the reason it works fine in ubuntu during free hours but not in xp. And atlast i tried the extreme thing of reinstalling xp sp3 and to my surprise it's still not working. I expected it to work atleast after this. I can go on using ubuntu but xp is used by other family members and they use rarely in free hours too.I'm puzzled to my extreme here any help is greatly appreciated.

This situation is almost impossible to diagnose over the internet! All I can say is:

Are you running the bandwidth test back to back? Run within a few minutes of each other, and collect sufficient datapoints.

Make sure XP is not running unnecessary services. Set those services to start manually if not outright disabled.

Make sure some programs are not starting automatically in the background. Run 'msconfig' to verify.

Totally unscientific: try a different browser in XP! Are you using Firefox or Opera? Did you install some aftermarket extensions to monitor dataone usage?

Run the latest Microsoft anti-malware tool. Do a thorough scan of entire system.

Are you getting DoS or DDoS attacks? What are the firewall rules in the ADSL modem/router? That can slow down things...but then why not in buntu?

Very difficult to troubleshoot from the given data. Definitely something is wrong in the userland. But what? Only you can tell.

As the last resort, backup all relevant data to DVD, nuke windows and reinstall fresh.

Are you running the bandwidth test back to back? Run within a few minutes of each other, and collect sufficient datapoints.

I ran the tests almost immediately between the two. I tested in ubuntu thru both normal browsing and speedtest.net and restarted booted into Xp, connected and tested. And also continuously tested for 4 different days.

Make sure XP is not running unnecessary services. Set those services to start manually if not outright disabled.

I tried to do that. First i disabled some nvidia and firewall services(as i mentioned in my original post) and tried and it was the same. Then i tried stopping many services and it resulted in not able to boot xp. So recovered all and went back to original state.

Make sure some programs are not starting automatically in the background. Run 'msconfig' to verify.

I always edit msconfig and only programs loading on startup are "ESET","nvidia control panel" and "Spybot destroyer"

Totally unscientific: try a different browser in XP! Are you using Firefox or Opera? Did you install some aftermarket extensions to monitor dataone usage?

Really a good suggestion. But I tried it in Firefox and Chrome and both shows same speeds.

Run the latest Microsoft anti-malware tool. Do a thorough scan of entire system.

Will do it and let you know guys but I had Spybot search and destroy scan the pc.

Are you getting DoS or DDoS attacks? What are the firewall rules in the ADSL modem/router? That can slow down things...but then why not in buntu?

I'm really suspecting this still. Ubuntu i think may be more secured in itself. I tried checkig my firewall logs and in only two instances i saw "DNS cache poisoning" attack but speed remains slow always at free hours for past 2 weeks.

Very difficult to troubleshoot from the given data. Definitely something is wrong in the userland. But what? Only you can tell.

I'm trying to provide all the data i can remember. Let me know of any input needed.

As the last resort, backup all relevant data to DVD, nuke windows and reinstall fresh.

I have already mentioned in my original post that i already tried that. i really expected that there is no way it can occur if i reinstall it. But it did not.All the above points also(except DDOS) nullify as i had already had a fresh installation.

I'm now suspecting problem in modem interface or DDOS or other attacks. Any reliable way to diagnose these?

1.Start RUN sfc /scannow
Keep XP OS disk ready. Will take at least an hour.

2.Check ADSL settings in your modem
during normal working and NU period.
Any change in Mod selected Line speed etc ?

3. Check your Dynamic IP also.

4.Have you tried openDNS 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.

5. Sorry No knowledge of LINUX OS.

I always edit msconfig and only programs loading on startup are \"ESET\",\"nvidia control panel\" and \"Spybot destroyer\"

Not to belabour a point...

Disable all these 'security' startups in msconfig and reboot the system. Then test the speeds at Dataone WebMail

No harm in trying once!

Also at the same time go to msconfig, view the Services tab. Sort the services by Manufacturer. Uncheck all the non 'Microsoft Corporation' ones and reboot. Verify if they are still disabled.

Run speedtest at your usual sites. Any improvements? Compare to buntu speeds when you do this.

I have already mentioned in my original post that i already tried that. i really expected that there is no way it can occur if i reinstall it. But it did not.All the above points also(except DDOS) nullify as i had already had a fresh installation.

I'm now suspecting problem in modem interface or DDOS or other attacks. Any reliable way to diagnose these?

The thing is with Dataone we get a new IP everytime we connect. So although we get scanned for open ports every now and then, and perhaps even a DDoS once in a decade, it should not happen with the kind of clockwork regularity that you are experiencing.

Buntu or XP should also not matter here either, because the bottleneck or slowdown from a DOS type attack will be first experienced at the ADSL modem/router.

Something is compromised in the userspace. Windows gives you full speed during daytime, so there is nothing wrong with the OS. Some settings must be changing/manipulated if this throtteling happens with such precision.

Try one more thing:

Not to insult your intelligence either, but make sure no torrent programs etc are running when you do speedtest.

In fact make sure nothing but the browser is running when you do speedtest.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del once and verify that only one Application is running when you do the speedtests. That should be Firefox 3.0.5. Also take a look see in the processes tab while you are at it. Perhaps post a screen shot of the processes (you can edit the image to hide unwanted details).

Completely supplemental:

To test the effectiveness of your firewall (ADSL modem's) and overall configuration, try the world famous GRC ShieldsUP online test.

The website requires cookies enabled and will ask for permission before scanning your ports. Test yourself for "File Sharing", "Common Ports" and "Messenger Spam" at the very least.

Post the screenshot of results. This is not related to present concern but should give you some ideas of how secure/vulnerable you are.

1.Mention your modem/router model and make.
2.Post ADSL data .

3.http://dataone.in/
do not test speed. here. unreliable.

4. Post Ping data for say IBF with OS XP and Ubuntu.
Day time as well as Nu time.

I'm afraid that's all rather immaterial essbebe.

He is getting good speed during daytime with Windows XP. That means there is nothing wrong with his windows. And he gets good speed with Linux during free hours (when windows is slow). That means nothing wrong with the line, modem or ADSL settings.

:S

@sankalpit
I'm afraid that's all rather immaterial essbebe.

He is getting good speed during daytime with Windows XP. That means there is nothing wrong with his windows. And he gets good speed with Linux during free hours (when windows is slow). That means nothing wrong with the line, modem or ADSL settings.

I would be extremely happy ,to hear same
comments from the thread starter.
after giving me the info asked for.

^^ It has to be some program for night scheduling as the speed drops exactly at 2 till 8 am..... The only other explanation would be a BSNL targeted virus 😛

1.Start RUN sfc /scannow
Keep XP OS disk ready. Will take at least an hour.

It ran thru completely and never asked for installer cd. i guess its due to the fresh reinstallation of xp.

Line capacity is same in both cases. No differences.

Couldn't get what you mean here. I know that whenever i connect to BSNL i get a new ip. It shouldnt be an issue

I'm a strong and early supporter of OpenDNS. :thumb:

1.Mention your modem/router model and make.
UT300R2U

2.Post ADSL data .
ADSL modem/router statistics page?

3.Dataone WebMail
do not test speed. here. unreliable.
Did at speedtest.net

4. Post Ping data for say IBF with OS XP and Ubuntu.
Day time as well as Nu time.
This is during daytime ping to bf.in
XP - 272ms
Ubuntu -269ms

And regarding other suggestions,

I thoroughly investigated for any auto update or download schedule in xp. None.

And I have an interesting discovery now.

XP - As mentioned speed slow during NU only. Using bridge mode and pppoe wan miniport dialer to connect.

Ubuntu - Surprise here is ubuntu 8.10 has a inbuilt DSL network setup which i was using earlier to connect. I don't know how this work internally but it just connect me when i ask it to connect.
But when i set up a pppoe connection manually using "pppoeconf" i can experience the same speed problem as in xp during night time.

So good news is that its not a XP specific problem ruling out schedulers and all. It may be an issue with how i interface with my modem.Maybe. Whenever i try connecting to 192.168.1.1 during night time in firefox it says "Page not loaded.Connection Interrupted" error.

Any leads now?

Quite Interesting! ..The reason im clueless is as to why it happens only from 2-8 am 😱I think its best you Factory-Reset your modem and give a fresh config.

Doesn't make any sense.Reset your modem. Fill in all connection details. See if that improves things.