Steps to set up an FTP server.

• Thread starter Thread starter kr.samuel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 7,976

kr.samuel

ISP
BSNL
Hi friends, I am Samuel, a new member of the Forum. I am blind, but well I use the BSNL service, broadband. I use it pretty well, but I am interested how I set up a FTP server.I know some port forwarding etc must be done, but dont know how to do it.since I have BSNL 500C+ and hence need some suggestions, I'd like to set up the server for the night after 2AM.I am using XP.and since I have set it up, for PPOE, in bridge mode, and hence need to know, how could I do it.I've used the functions of scheduling etc, and I know all of it, but dont know, how to work with setting up a server.if anybody could come forth and help by a good explaination, would be really helpfull.Oh my modem is UT300r2u.and please let me know what information is required.ThanksSam.

I see two parts here, unless I am mistaken:

Step 1 would be to set up the FTP server itself and the related configurations.
Step 2 would be to be able to access your machine from anywhere in case you don't have a static IP.

There are lots of free FTP servers available for download, like Xlight [http://www.xlightftpd.com/] and FileZilla [http://filezilla-project.org/]. Setting up either is pretty easy, however if you need more help regarding either, I am sure members here would be glad to help.

As for accessing your server externally, I would suggest using something like No IP [http://www.no-ip.com/] whereby your machine gets a hostname for access. The basic version is free of charge, and I believe should suffice your requirements.

No actually I'd like to make a FTP server so that my friends from abroad can access it. So but I have a bridge connection, due to scheduling purposes, and hence need some suggestions, so that I could make the port forwarding to make the ftp work. I've heard of filezila server and serve-u server but I dont know where to begin. if any one starts step by step, would be much easier, since I guess I am on a dynamic IP address, proper remedies have to be taken, if not I may get the modem destroyed. thanks for your understanding.Sam

okay I've registered with no-IP. but still is there a way to get a domain for free?or any other sites?well, I dont know how to go further, after the registration, what should I do next?

if you just want to run a FTP server to share some files from your machine. i suggest looking at Opera Unite.

it is probably the simplest way to do what you want to accomplish. without any hassles. and it's free and easy.

Opera Unite

----------

you get your own subdomain on opera.com to share stuff with your friends.

well I finally had to give up opera since it is not accessible for visually impaired.I just checked the FAQ:Opera is not currently recommended as a replacement for screen readers, though Voice may be an appealing feature for those with residual vision.So finally, I still have to use the normal standard way, of making a ftp server, using Filezilla server way.but well, how do I get a domain, and port forwarding I guess those 2 are the very main things?Sam.

i am not saying using opera as your primary web browser.

you can just use the opera unite component coz that does what you want to do very easily.

----------

i am not sure how easy it would be for you to use filezilla server edition.

the message which led me to prashanth's blog was very helpfull, thanks for it.
But well he doesn't talk about port forwarding for a person who is on bridge mode.
I visited this link:
Prashanth Speaks-Technology and Life: Port Forwarding In UT300R2U ADSL MODEM
but still, he talks of the modem I use uT300R2U but he does not talk of a person who is on bridge mode, how to go to open the ports.
if I type 192.168.1.1 I get cannot find the server message since I am on bridge mode.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sam.

Hi friends, I am Samuel, a new member of the Forum. I am blind, but well I use the BSNL service, broadband. I use it pretty well, but I am interested how I set up a FTP server.
I know some port forwarding etc must be done, but dont know how to do it.
since I have BSNL 500C+ and hence need some suggestions, I'd like to set up the server for the night after 2AM.
I am using XP.
and since I have set it up, for PPOE, in bridge mode, and hence need to know, how could I do it.
I've used the functions of scheduling etc, and I know all of it, but dont know, how to work with setting up a server.
if anybody could come forth and help by a good explaination, would be really helpfull.
Oh my modem is UT300r2u.
and please let me know what information is required.
Thanks
Sam.

Hi,
I don't know whether you are still following this or not but still
do the following
1.Disable the bridge mode ask your isp to do it for you
2.In your router/modem config. page (you can find your router/modem ip by typing ipconfig in cmd, or ifconfig in terminal) goto virtual servers or port forwarding and chose FTP or enter port 21 save and reboot your router/modem(if you have both modem and router forward in both)
3.If on windows allow port 21 in firewall, if you use any anti-virus allow port 21 in it also
4.Now install any ftp software like filezilla install it and configure it to your needs(username, password, directory etc)
5.If you are using dyndns or no-ip whatever download & install it the desktop client.
6.So let me assume you have set up with dyndns.org and your domain is domain.dyndns.org now browse to the etc folder in your os in windows it is 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\' there is a host file in this file do the following in a new line
:21ftp.domain.dyndns.org or domain.dyndns.org
For Example
192.168.1.2:21 ftp.domain.dyndns.org
|
LAN IP of comp. running the ftp server(you can find in router config page or frm cmd)

Now you can access by
host:ftp.domain.dyndns.org
username: (which you set up in filezilla)
password: (which you set up in filezilla)

Hope it works!

By this FTP server you can do what you do with an ftp server share large files over WAN securely, easily and from different drives.what do you mean by this ftp server

Why not use Opera Unite? It will do all the stuff, is extremely easy to configure, and is practically hassle free. Much much easier than setting up an FTP server on a machine with a dynamic IP.

Why not use Opera Unite? It will do all the stuff, is extremely easy to configure, and is practically hassle free. Much much easier than setting up an FTP server on a machine with a dynamic IP.

though you are practically right but read the title of the thread