staying connected at night with xp

• Thread starter Thread starter cayman90
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,193

cayman90

ISP
mtnl
i have subscribed to a nighttime free usage plan.when i keep torrents for download the computer disconnects the net(does not go into a standby) after some time(the 'usblight'goes off).i had a similar problem b4 too but i did something somewhere in xp where there is an option ,of not disconnecting the net when its idle ,is given.i have forgotten since where the option or trick lies.pls help.

Not sure which option you are talking about but you can do start-->run-->type ping google.com -t and keep it cmd window on , that will make sure net is not kept idle and hardly takes any bandwith .

Since the USB light goes off it means the computer has gone into hibernate / Sleep / Standby mode and your USB port is no longer active....go to Control Panel -> Power options and make sure the system does not go into the sleep / hibernate mode....Also check wether the Power, ADSL, PPPoE lights in your router are on when such an event occurs.....if it is on it simply means you are not disconnected from the netAlternatively you can log into your Router then go to Setup -> mtnl ( which is my connection name, your can be different or simply click the link below "Modem" on the left hand side ) and increase the Keep Alive period..... this will only be helpful if your computer does not go into power saving modes....and mostly is not required to be changed