Status of IPv6 Availability with Udupi Fastnet

• Thread starter Thread starter RohanAK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3,076
ISP
Wired: Udupi Fastnet Franchisee
Wireless: Airtel
Going around digging up every week in the Hurricane Electric BGP Toolkit presently shows that Udupi Fastnet has 3 IPv6 /48 subnets assigned under the name Fast Vision.

OOCyMMB.webp

Over the past year though, the toolkit states that Fastnet has had at least one IPv6 subnet. For a brief period of time, around October, it shot up to 8 IPv6 subnets.
They also had one IPv6 peer which now has increased to three.

F8OgSp8.webp

But I don't think that Udupi Fastnet has propagated the IPv6 subnets down to their LCOs (or at least the one I am connected to doesn't have IPv6 support yet).
Is there anyone with inside info of Udupi Fastnet (or someone from the ISP directly) give any updates on what's going on?

Also, weird caveat I noticed. Hurricane Electric shows Udupi Fastnet to be peering with three separate organizations yet the main page shows Tata Teleservicies ISP AS to be the only AS that Udupi Fastnet is strongly(?) peered with.
The V6 graph also shows a string of Tata ASNs with none of the other 2 ASNs in the graph.

Qy2PDuB.webp

As a sure measure, yes I did check other website that share ISP information. All of them say that Udupi Fastnet does have IPv6 networks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Answer 1: It can also mean; they bought IPv6, but they don't use it. You don't need to announce your prefixes on the internet just to prove you own it.

Answer 2: Knowing your ISP is connected to IXP Mumbai IX; it's likely your ISP is defaults to Tata Tele; while is only "peering" aka sharing intersharing local-AS routes with the rest two.

To have real concrete info; you'd need access to ISP router. Regardless; IPv6 is nothing special.

To point 1: True, I don't mean to imply that they bought those IPv6 subnets last month or anything.
But they have started to broadcast their ownership through BGP peering now so I assumed (and am hoping) they have intentions to implement IPv6 in some manner.
I'm thinking this from the "Why tell others you have something if you don't plan to use it" perspective but I definitely would want to know if anyone has any idea of what Udupi Fastnet intends to do, preferably those spilling the beans being from Udupi Fastnet.

To point 2: Interesting, I hadn't thought of that being the reason for this. So that means the other two ASNs are peered over Tata's ASN.

And having access to the ISP router will be 😅😅😅
I wish they did, wouldn't say no to that.

peered over Tata's ASN.
No. Directly. Else it would not have been there.

"Why tell others you have something if you don't plan to use it"
If you don't use it or at least do not announce it; the IP gets dormant and you lose the right of ownership.

If all I want is to announce a working prefix on Juniper/Cisco; I'll assign the subnet to a loopback and announce that as point-to-point. Win-Win.

Last edited: