Statistics -- ADSL

• Thread starter Thread starter shinujohn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,397

shinujohn

ISP
BSNL, Asianet DataLine
I am sorry if the answer is available in any other post.I am facing frequent disconnection - in 3 to 5 minutes. BSNL guy said as the telephone has no noise, the wiring should be OK. And they transferred the case to the broadband technicians. I am pasting the ADSL status. The SNR Margin is around 30 when everything is OK, but goes down just before disconnection. Could anyone please review my ADSL status and tell me is everything OK?Here is it:Mode: ADSL2+ Line Coding: Trellis On Status: No Defect Link Power State: L0 Downstream/UpstreamSNR Margin (dB): 34.9 / 16.4 Attenuation (dB): 24.5 / 10.0 Output Power (dBm): 12.3 / 18.5 Attainable Rate (Kbps): 18020 / 1257 Rate (Kbps): 2045/ 861 MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 72 / 14 B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 24 / 11 M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 / 8 T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 /7 R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 16 /16 S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.4147 /3.8128 L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 791 /235 D (interleaver depth): 64 /8 Delay (msec): 6 /7 Super Frames: 991 /940 Super Frame Errors: 0 /8 RS Words: 154732 /15782 RS Correctable Errors: 0 /202 RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 /N/A HEC Errors: 0 /1854 OCD Errors: 0 /0 LCD Errors: 0 /0 Total Cells: 77438 /158632304 Data Cells: 19 /562175 Bit Errors: 0 /162055 Total ES: 0 /8534782 Total SES: 0 /8534778 Total UAS: 18 /8534530 Hope it is readable...TAShinu

Hope it is readable...

Shinu भैया though it is readable, in the future you may post a screenshot (google if you don't know how to) instead of copying and pasting so much data.

I do not see any major issues with the values. What you should try to do first is change the mode to "G.dmt" instead of ADSL2+.

Mode: ADSL2+

This Mode should read G.dmt. Change the setting and 'Save & Reboot' the modem.

Secondly, check that the splitter is installed correctly. It should be the first device connected to telephone line, and from the splitter you should connect to both your PC and telephone.

Third, check all the contacts in the telephone line. After some time they chaff and/or age, so you will have to observe carefully and splice + reconnect if there are any problems.

Shinu भैया though it is readable, in the future you may post a screenshot

Yes भैया, I thought only logged in users can view an uploaded image.

BTW, since I live in an apartment, I can’t do much with the wiring up to my flat. Someone from broadband exchange will visit my house today in the evening. And most probably they will blame the wiring in the apartment. :frown:

I will try the "G.dmt" option.

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you.

Could anyone please explain me how they (ADSL2+ and G.dmt) differ in performance? 😕

Attenuation (dB): 24.5 / 10.0

Should I worry about this?

Yes भैया, I thought only logged in users can view an uploaded image.
If you upload at imageshack, everyone will be able to see.

BTW, since I live in an apartment, I can’t do much with the wiring up to my flat. Someone from broadband exchange will visit my house today in the evening. And most probably they will blame the wiring in the apartment.
I had similar problems once. The only 'solution' was to hang a long telephone cable from balcony of the apartment all the way to outside point. The ****** builder had built sub-standard conduit for telecom and TV cable, all the wires had rotten. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Could anyone please explain me how they (ADSL2+ and G.dmt) differ in performance?

Google uncle will help you if you ask nicely.

Should I worry about this?

Here are mine:
Code:
SNR (Up/Down): 28 dB /30.5 dB Attenuation (Up/Down): 24.0 dB /37.5 dB
And I have a stable connection! I have such horrible figures because my house is very far from the exchange (DSLAM) and wiring is typical BSNL grade poor quality, yet the only problem is I can't get more than 1500 kilobits/second. So it is unlikely SNR or Attenuation is causing your problems. Try G.dmt.

Finally I got a stable connection.

Thank you sankalpit and matrixs for your help… :thumpsup:

I changed the connection to G.dmt. Here is my DSL settings page.

Now I get a stable connection (even though my SNR has decreased by 5db). Here is my ADSL status:

SNR varies from 20 to 28 in 5 minutes – but no disconnection. Here is my speed test result:

https://www.speedtest.net

So, who is the culprit? My line? DSL? Modem?

Thank you again.

Shinu.

Finally I got a stable connection.

Thank you sankalpit and matrixs for your help… :thumpsup:

I changed the connection to G.dmt. Here is my DSL settings page.

So, who is the culprit? My line? DSL? Modem?

Welcome, sorry for replying as I was busy supporting some US client and was working overnight for the past 3 days.

The culprit in ADSL2+ mode, You need not switch to G.dmt, you can be in ADSL2 which will give a stable connection. I was initially having this frequent disconnection but just disabled ADSL2+ not the other ones and get a very stable connection (In my original reply I asked to uncheck the ADSL2+ only not the other ones).

Thank you very much for your reply. Hope that US client is happy now… :thumbsup:I got my IPTV connection 2 days back. When they installed the Set Top Box, they reset the modem and configured bridge/PPPoE connections. However, now my modem is back to ADSL2+ again and now I don’t face the disconnection issue!IPTV is running in 6 mbps line and my broad band is in 256kbps~2mbps.

I got my IPTV connection 2 days back. When they installed the Set Top Box, they reset the modem and configured bridge/PPPoE connections. However, now my modem is back to ADSL2+ again and now I don’t face the disconnection issue!

Surprising!! May be something with IPTV and BB combination. Even I kept my mode in ADSL2+ some days in between and there was no disconnection problem. Then after few days it started again and I removed ADSL2+. Note there is only marginal difference (or no difference at all) between ADSL2 and ADSL2+. It seems if your connection is not idle then ADSL2+ is not a problem as in the case of IPTV your line will not be idle at all. Where as if IPTV is not there, there is possibility of the line idle for quite sometime and the router get disconnected. I also noticed this when some download is going on in the background if we kept in ADSL2+ there is no disconnection problem.

You may switch off your TV and keep your connection idle and check for the possibility of disconnection

IPTV is running in 6 mbps line and my broad band is in 256kbps~2mbps.

I don't ge this right, what is this 6 mbps line and 256kbps~2mbps line? As per my understanding IPTV will be in a different frequency, BB on another frequency and phone (voice) in a different frequency but the line is same

Let us watch it for some days. If the disconnection issue appears again, i will uncheck the ADSL2+.

I don't ge this right, what is this 6 mbps line and 256kbps~2mbps line?

:ashamed: sorry for my ignorance, but I was trying to say that they are in 2 frequencies. Just for your info...