• Thread starter Thread starter anand
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 5,051

anand

Regulars
ISP
Sify (best of the worst)
Ankur Raheja mentions that static IP's must be provided so that hackers can be caught. However if sify does that then we will be more vulnerable to attacks from the outside as hackers on the internet somewhere will have a steady target. Even so since most of the attacks occur through the LAN you should be receiving that IP of their network card which is static anyway so why make this demand?

I need an external IP so that I can use my system as a server to host files or server. Sify's internal servers are not that much secure that I would prefer to remain under their disguise. If its broadband, I need the convinience it comes with.A static IP is something I won't recommend. But I need an external IP...

indicom let their user do so. i can use my friends system on indicom using a ftp software. thats the power of external ip. hosting a website is complicated.

I recommend Abyss Web server. You can get for free from their website.

Sushubh, can sify memebrs do this (make their system , ftp server)

atleast not the PCs on network in my locality. they dont seem to provide this even as an option.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Oct 27 2004, 04:04 AM
I need an external IP so that I can use my system as a server to host files or server. Sify's internal servers are not that much secure that I would prefer to remain under their disguise. If its broadband, I need the convinience it comes with.

A static IP is something I won't recommend. But I need an external IP...
[snapback]1215[/snapback]
[/quote]

FOr that u need to shell out 5k.
Sify sells static global ip for 5k.
Any taker ? 😉

I need an external IP so that I can use my system as a server to host files or server. Sify's internal servers are not that much secure that I would prefer to remain under their disguise. If its broadband, I need the convinience it comes with.

A static IP is something I won't recommend. But I need an external IP...

Sushubh, can sify memebrs do this (make their system , ftp server)
[/b]

EVERYBODY has an external/internet ip. u can get it from www.showmyip.com

the only 'catch' can be that it is not unique (shared in a subnet). however that is quite unlikely becoz :

1) i have created game servers in the past and users (even non-sify) have been able to connect to them. my servers also showed up in game browsers (like all seeing eye, gamespy, kquery etc)

2) if ur ip was being shared by the subnet, it wudn't change everytime u log off and log in. if it was being shared and i logged off (changing the ip) it wud have to change in realtime (meaning while others are still connected to the net). this cant happen. so it is 'unique' and is @$$igned 'dynamically' everytime u log in.

even i am against static ips. they are more vulnerable + no anonymity. however they wud be nice in some cases eg hosting servers and some sites use ur ip to identify u. so i guess everybody shud be given a choice.

ALSO NOTE that even with a static ip, u can remain anonymous using a proxy server

Btw, dont u setup a gamin server on ur comp (just for testin purpose) so that we cud play something......

Originally posted by surjeett@Nov 14 2004, 10:04 PM
Btw,  dont u setup a gamin server on ur comp (just for testin purpose) so that we cud play something......
[snapback]2072[/snapback]
[/quote]

sure why not. PM me or if u use instant messengers?

even i am against static ips. they are more vulnerable + no anonymity. however they wud be nice in some cases eg hosting servers and some sites use ur ip to identify u. so i guess everybody shud be given a choice.[/b]
--hpgupta

I think dynamically @$$igned ips are just appropriate for the home user who doesn't run a server(this excludes a temporary game server for playing with your friends where dynamic ips aren't a bother). Already an average home internet user has to deal with lots of malware and can do without the vulnerabilities of a static ip.

Dynamic ips was one thing I used to like about dial-up. Glad that Sify provides it too 🙂

Sushubh, dont think we shud have another topic which reads something like this "My today's IP", so that interested users can just punch in their ipz with time and date(that is u dont plan to put a script to grap ipz) which cud be shared with others for gamin purpose etc.