• Thread starter Thread starter mikrotik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,790

mikrotik

I am getting updated....
ISP
Airtel FTTH
So I currently have Dasan ONT on which bridge mode is enabled and I have bought static IP from Airtel. Now Airtel has created a profile WAN1 and assigned it to bridge with VLAN ID 660 and binned it to Port 4 of the ONT.
Now I can connect an ethernet cable to the mesh router and set it to Static IP by entering IP allocated to me by Airtel. So in this method, IPv6 setting on mesh is set to Automatic and is not able to fetch any IP and all IPv6 traffic is blocked.

So my question is, is this the correct method in which static IP should be used and configured in the mesh router? Linksys mesh allows 3 ways for IPv6 (Automatic, PPPoE and Passthrough).
I can only use PPPoE mode with PPPoE and Passthrough mode with DHCP.

Please advice.

@mikrotik the first thing you need to do is check if IPv6 is enabled for your connection and residential area. Airtel is rolling it out in phases and according to some mysterious plan that they will not share with anybody. Best way to check is the Airtel router in WAN config and status. If you see IPv6 being assigned to the router then its been rolled out. However that said, I am not sure if you are assigned a static IPv4 they will provision a v6 address on your personal router via that bridged LAN port.

@Chip yes the ONT is being assigned IPv6 on the dynamic profile. When I had a Mikrotik router connected to the bridge ONT, it was able to fetch a IPv6 but due to some limitation with routerOS, it was not able to assign IPv6 downstream. But on Linksys, it is no go.

@mikrotik you can go back to DHCP on your Linksys mesh using the same credentials as you have always used and then try. My only doubt is if a 3rd party router plugged into a LAN port can fetch an IPv6 address. I use pfSense and it can't although v6 has been rolled out in certain areas of my city. I just gave up and am happily chugging along with my v4 static IP. TBH v4 is the easiest to configure manually and doesn't exhibit any issues with remote sites. IPv6, well, there are several sites that are still to migrate to this addressing method. And even those who have v6 have a v4 address as well. So the usefulness of v6 is still a moot point. Mind you my Tata Play has a static v6 address with a /64 PD. Any benefits? None that I can see.

It is not something that has a straight forward answer. Speeds on higher on some peered services like Microsoft, Netflix.

@mikrotik can you do a speed test to Google drive . Can we take static ip with 40mbps plan. Also do we need to put it in bridge mode for higher speeds ?

Normally on pppoe in my Deco mesh ipv6 uses pppoe of ipv4 where both ipv6 and ipv4 details are loaded from pppoe server. That is not happening in your case so better use pppoe credentials for ipv6 to be dialed separately.

Last edited:
Yeah working fine in both router mode and access point. Though router mode do give problem from time to time if ipv6 is enabled.