Static IP address provisioning process

• Thread starter Thread starter MrGordon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 239
  • Views Views 28,362
nah I thought they automatically assigned that to everyone.

EDIT: Uh wait never mind.. you are talking about static IP. Why did I think you were referring to the VOIP config 😅

I am trying to get a static IP here (on prepaid)
image.png

This guy's job title was "head of FTTH operations" and previously worked at Jio..

So in my case, the other day when the technician visited my house, he showed me a WhatsApp message with the details of the static IP allocation. Surprisingly it had a date of March 1, 2023.

SR submitted on the Airtel app - Feb 27, 2023
Callback confirming static IP request - Feb 28, 2023
Static IP address allocation (based on details learned on March 8) - March 1, 2023
First scheduled technician visit - March 2, 2023
2nd technician visit post escalation - March 8, 2023

iaMsiKO.png

It appears, the internal processes seem more or less streamlined, it's just the lack of training given to the technician. Once the static IP address was allocated on March 1, 2023, the workflow automatically scheduled a technician visit, but the technician had not clue what needed to be done. So in my case above, the entire process should have been complete by March 2nd.

When it comes to training, the technicians catering to home users very very rarely get a task to configure static IP address, which can explain the lack of training or awareness.

Yea, and what I have noticed is they use their own terms for things that they don't understand, the field engineer was refering to CGNAT as "static karna" lol

Again, it may be a city to city thing I m not sure guys. But I had to jump through several hoops and escalations before I got it. The 1st request was a technical problem, the same thing was changed to remove static IP and finally they got it right only because I called the tech directly to cut out the $hit heads in the call centre. Seriously some of these CC guys are next level dumb man!

Psst...YMMV so I won't say my experience applies to all.

BTW I was sent a screen shot of the IP and I configured it in pfSense. Job done in 3 mins including basic ping tests. But IPv6 does not work..just like last time.

@Sayantan I don't have an option to use PPPoE for v6 in pfSense.

It should automatically get a IPv6 address along with a dynamic IPv4. Then you need to configure it in such a way that it prefers the static IP instead of the dynamic one

@Chip What I did is, created a PPPoE profile for v4 and v6, but just assigned a higher distance for the PPPoE route, so the static IP IPv4 route is preferred over the PPPoE IPv4 route.

For some reason pfSense just doesn't get a v6 with a SIPv4. I tried all options...just refuses to work

@MrGordon in pfSense each interface has 1 config page where you do all settings. I cannot configure different profiles for the same interface.

PS - It's the same with Tata Play ...dynamic ipv4 (cgnat) + static ipv6. But it needs the dynamic v4 to get a v6 address.

@Chip Got it. Isn't it possible to create a new configuration for the same physical interface? Or say create a virtual interface that you can link the configuration to.

I could (but not checked), but for what purpose? IPv6...what does it offer me over a public IPv4 at least in today's world? I've been getting a v6 address via TPBB so it's really no big deal.

For me I only get 1gbps when I use static ipv4 with pppoe ipv6
On ipv4 alone I get around 600-650mbps

@Chip Create two interfaces for same port. in first interface put static ip. in second, dial the pppoe with ipv4 and ipv6.
now go to System->Routing and select Default gateway IPv4 to static ip interface and Default gateway IPv6 to the pppoe interface. Job done.