Static IP address provisioning process

• Thread starter Thread starter MrGordon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 239
  • Views Views 28,552
Looks like I got IPv6 working too on the Mikrotik. As discussed above, I created the PPPoE connection, but set the route distance of the PPPoE gateway higher than my static IP route. So IPv4 traffic goes over the static IP address and IPv6 works. That wasn't too bad.

6wQRHQk.png

@SpeedxThunder No I wouldn't be using the ZTE as a router, will defer that function to the Mikrotik. How do I downgrade to 12A? Do I need to complete the unlock process that you linked to earlier (I need to find a windows PC) to do that?

Downgrading to 12A is not possible unless you have a firmware but you can upgrade to a unlocked 16B firmware

@panks21 Yes, this is the config export. Only the relevant parts though.

Code:
/ipv6 dhcp-server
add address-pool=airtel disabled=yes interface=bridge lease-time=12h name=\
    wan6
/ppp profile
add change-tcp-mss=yes dhcpv6-pd-pool=airtel name=airtel remote-address=dhcp
/interface pppoe-client
add add-default-route=yes default-route-distance=10 disabled=no interface=wan \
    max-mtu=1492 name=pppoe-airtel profile=airtel service-name=Airtel user=\
    user@airtel
/ip address
add address=192.168.0.1/24 comment=defconf interface=ether2 network=\
add address=192.168.100.100/24 comment="Huawei ONT" interface=wan network=\
add address=122.166.43.xx/24 comment="Airtel Static" interface=wan network=\
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf default-route-distance=2 disabled=yes interface=wan \
    use-peer-dns=no
add default-route-distance=3 disabled=yes interface=ether5
add default-route-distance=10 disabled=yes interface=*9 use-peer-dns=no
/ip route
add comment="Airtel Static IP" disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 \
    gateway=122.166.43.1 pref-src=122.166.43.x routing-table=main \
    suppress-hw-offload=no
add comment="via Airtel ONT" disabled=no distance=2 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 \
    gateway=10.10.10.1 pref-src="" routing-table=main suppress-hw-offload=no
/ipv6 address
add from-pool=airtel interface=bridge
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=pppoe-airtel pool-name=airtel request=\
    address,prefix use-interface-duid=yes

@SpeedxThunder Could you please link to the steps to upgrade to 16B?

Day 3 and no luck with the static IP, status is pending. Tomm is day 4 let's see. I can see nothing much has changed. 😀

@Chip patience, i got it after 1 week on my second line today ... first line i got in 3 days ...

Oh I am patient, not in a tearing hurry. I took a SIP for the 2nd time just to see if there's any change in the provisioning time..there isn't. No change from 2021.

And today is Day 6 post the request for a Static IP.

Yesterday, Day 5, went by rather eventfully. The tech calls me and asks me if I wanted to have the static IP removed. I was like 😆😆 and then 😡. WTF man! Can't these guys do anything properly?! Even their Twitter team is clueless!

Absolute imbeciles I tell you!

I have a similar experience!

The last time I requested a static IP around 20 days back, I sent a mail request to Airtel at 9AM. Got a call from support exec informing me of the prices and seeking approval at 11.30AM. Got a call from the service tech at 4PM, and had the static IP by 5PM

This time around, I have sent a mail on Friday, still waiting for any communication. Even sent a reminder on Monday. Yet to hear back though

Ok, so I finally got my SIP v4 today, 6 days after the request. 🙄

The tech, who is v prompt normally, said he is overloaded with complaints/new connections etc etc. Somewhere I feel Airtel did a cost cutting exercise last year ie trimmed their staff and most of the complaints about their support emanates from this issue. Either this, OR business is booming and the staff is overloaded but no additional staff have been onboarded to tackle the load.

Yes, you could be right. Then I think they need to ramp up staff most certainly in metros and large cities to cater to additional workload.

Why wasn't SIPv4 automatically assigned for you? You are in Pune right?
I had to ask to assign it and they did within a day

Why do you assume it is assigned in a day in all cities? It would depend on some factors including available IP pool for the city/State.

Remember, I took a SIP for the 2nd time around and on BOTH occasions it took over 4-5 days to get it. That's why I mentioned in an earlier post that it may take time in larger cities and my hunch was proved right.