Static IP address provisioning process

• Thread starter Thread starter MrGordon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 239
  • Views Views 28,628
Thanks @panks21 @SpeedxThunder @nishantt6969!

If there is no MAC binding, then yeah it could be a firmware bug with 13A as @SpeedxThunder mentioned. @panks21 I think it points to some issue on Airtel side (ONT/backend config), as I was able to reproduce the problem on a non-Mikrotik device as well (shared in my earlier post, running OpenWRT).

I've sent another email to net@airtel.com, and got a call from another technician today regarding my complaint and said that he'd be visiting.

@nishantt6969 I have another Huawei HG8120C ONT lying around, I had previously configured it with Airtel and had worked after cloning my ONT serial. I will test the static IP config with that ONT and see if it works.

And it works just like that! 😅 Wonder why I didn't try this sooner. 😁

Fiber --> Huawei HG8120C ONT (with the Airtel ONT serial cloned). Created a bridge WAN profile, and connected cable from Huawei ONT to Mikrotik. It just magically worked with the previous configuration, didn't do anything other than enabling the disabled config entries.

eZAZywa.png

Huawei WAN profile

9Z1HwPx.png

Huawei status

D5yB3of.png

Route table in Mikrotik

vwgqH79.png

Static IP configured on Mikrotik

So when Airtel guy comes, will show him this and ask to get the ZTE ONT replaced 😅

So I have a follow-up question, when you opt for a static IP address, you get only a static IPv4 address. What about IPv6? Do we get a static IPv6 prefix too?

create separate wan profile for ipv6. you will get ipv6 address too.

When using PPPoE, I was indeed getting IPv6, but with static IP address, do I just use a DHCPv6 client on the WAN interface? I don't think that works.

Do I need to ask Airtel to give the static IPv6 prefix too?

You don't get IPv6 with static IPv4. What are you missing without IPv6??
I guess other way is to create PPPoE connection also on your firewall which will give you another IPv4 and IPv6. Then play with routing options since you have a fairly advanced firewall

@panks21 Oh I am not really missing anything. Just wanted IPv6 for that feel good factor 😄

Yeah, I thought about that, basically use the static IPv4, and then establish PPPoE, ignore the IPv4 and use only the IPv6. Will need to play around with the config. Will give it a try when I am bored.

Oh btw, speeds over the static IPv4 address is indeed uncapped for me 😅. I measured upto 600 Mbps up/down. The wireless performance of the Mikrotik hap ac2 that I am using isn't that great, so I don't think I will see more than this over wireless.

Nice, But they stopped it for me couple of months before. Earlier i was also getting, but not now. May be the restriction has not been put for newer series of static ip addresses. Time for me to cancel static ip and opt again 🙂

@hariselio uncapped speeds also stopped for me on old ip around December so I cancelled it but somehow Airtel again created a new static ip request without my consent and now again 1gbps speeds are working without the charges lol

@MrGordon I think it's just a firmware issue on zte if possible just ask for a firmware downgrade on it to 12A (you can also do it on your own) since the multi wan config only works on zte afaik